It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britans going to get colder winters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Changes to ocean currents brought on by warming in the Arctic could see the UK gripped by more cold and snowy winters, scientists have suggested. Researchers believe that the melting of glacial ice could be contributing to the ocean becoming less saline, or "freshening", and warmer - potentially leading to changes in the circulation of the seas. Currently cold water in the high Arctic sinks into the deep sea, pulling warmer water up from the Gulf Stream and giving northwest Europe its mild weather. But increased levels of fresh water and warming Arctic seas could reduce the pull of the current and unbalance weather patterns around the world. The scientists were speaking ahead of an expedition to the Arctic as part of efforts to establish how it is melting - which will help them predict if the ocean currents will change. Explorers with the Catlin Arctic Survey expedition will venture out on to the ice to drill holes down into the ocean, measuring temperature, salinity and flow of the water just below the sea ice. Simon Boxall of the National Oceanography Centre in Southampton said the Arctic was changing faster than previous models had suggested, and that over the last four years the surface area of Arctic ice had shrunk to levels predicted for 2070. Referring to a disaster movie depicting a world thrown into a deep freeze, he said: "It's not a catastrophic The Day After Tomorrow-type scenario, but we would notice winters become slightly cooler, and summers would be slightly wetter and cooler."

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by majestic3

And you thoughts on this would be?.....

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
They've put their thoughts on ice!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
maybe the op got cold feet

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This similar information has been posted on other threads. I do think it is interesting and important. I would like to see a source and your thoughts as you are the one posting it.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Sorry for the lack of info but I found it late last night
It came from the ITN news app for I phone Ive tried to find the link but these things don't stay news for long.
I'm a gardener by trade and I've noticed many plants & shrubs not standing up to the harsh weather we're getting and most are like 30-40 years old so there must have been drastic changes starting from last year it hovered about the -20 mark in some places this winter and if it's going to get colded what will the lowest tempures become and could this become bad for farmer.

edit on 27-1-2011 by majestic3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I love my garden
and admit that I have seen some changes and non native plants suffering
but the same can be said about non native bees suffering while our native ones thrive..

I was reading some articles from the National Trust bods, who where welcoming the return of what they call "traditional" weather, something we have not see in the last few decades.. and how that has impacted our native species in a positive way
masses of insects and berries that are helping the birds and what not.

*IF* it is a return to traditional seasons then our native species will benefit greatly.. not sure how happy I am about that as that means the colder/wetter climate

I was looking forward to a bit of global warming, planting some nice exotic plants and my lilly white legs seeing the sunlight more than once or twice a year

but all in all, I have to admit that it is nice to see an abundance of native flora and fauna
with more that a few British Black honey bees busy creating hives and honey

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Funny that because for the last 3 week's or so it has been very mild here in UK.
I remember when we first started getting the cold patch back in late November everyone was saying "It's going to be a very harsh Winter, constant snow for month's"

Lol like i say It's very mild, nothing to worry about at all.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

And my thoughts are WHERE THE HECK IS THIS GLOBAL WARMING THAT US UK CITIZENS HAVE BEEN PROMISED WILL HAPPEN TO HELP RID US OF OUR MISERABLE WEATHER.

Its all swings and round-a-bouts...Weather prediction is like fashion, if its in its in, if its out its out. Looks like the cold bandwagon is on the go at the moment but wait until it ihits 30c in London and we'll all be reminded that our winters are due to get warmer...

BS

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmellMyHoop
Funny that because for the last 3 week's or so it has been very mild here in UK.
I remember when we first started getting the cold patch back in late November everyone was saying "It's going to be a very harsh Winter, constant snow for month's"

Lol like i say It's very mild, nothing to worry about at all.

Indeed, especially when people are posting rubbish about new ice age this and new ice age that and when you tell people and prove it too them that the GS is NOT the only factor in producing cold weather...they still ignore you!

Denying Ignorance is a serious challenge these days!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I think too many people have seen the movie THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW first its global warming, now its ICE AGE like one of the above posters said The weather is like fasion in and out!!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Its called normal cycles, nothing to do with anything but what mankind has been through before.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
This has nothing to do with fashion and the day after tomorrow, or scientists deciding the weather should be cold instead because it's been cold. I'm sure that I've read about colder winters being an outcome of climate change years and years ago before before the film the day after tomorrow. Does no one ever read the science section of newspapers or the new scientist on line or anything?

This is such old news and it irritates me so much when deniers start using this to prove how scientists are using whatever weather to prove their theories or making up convinient theories along the way. The most annoying posts I see are: Ha, it's freezing what's happened to global warming then? Or ha, now scientists are saying global warming will make our winters colder that makes no sense/they said we'd get warmer weather. Yet no one thinks about the fact that this was actually predicted YEARS ago.

top topics

join