It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania School Divides Students by race and gender...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Now this sounds crazy...in this day and age... At least it's just one school for now... and this will probably get shot down real fast...

School Divides Students Based On Race, Gender

LANCASTER, Pa. -- The School District of Lancaster is defending a plan that groups students according to their race.

In December, McCaskey East High School placed its junior class in different homerooms based on race and gender. Each class is led by a home room teacher of the same race and gender who serves as a role model.

The idea is based on research that shows students with strong mentors do better in school.

The research MIGHT BE good... but the idea of implementing it like that... NOT.

You don't need to divide classes... just ask each kid what person he admires... and push them so they ``become`` like the idol they want...

Forced segregation by the state is quite a sick thought.

For a society to work, people of all kinds have to work together... of course the elite doesn't want that.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Ehhh, I think they should focus on having people of different race/genders work together more instead of splitting them up. That kind of makes me sick; I am glad I do not live in that area. Luckily! In my part of PA everyone works together side by side regardless of skin color or gender

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Isn't this like saying that certain races aren't good role models for other races? I mean, I'm latina, does it mean white people or back people aren't good role models for me? I thought role models were supposed to be good because of how they behaved, not because of the way they looked. I think what they are doing is wrong, they are supposed to help the students accept each other and work together, not separating them like this. How are they supposed to learn to accept the differences if adults are telling them it's alright to stay away from people of different races?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I've lived my entire life in Lancaster, PA. Don't let the press releases fool you.

Lancaster's high schools have a HUGE race problem, with fights daily. Gang related violence is common as well.

This is such a conservative county. I assure you the school board has it's share of segregationists!

I'm not in their shoes, though. They may be desperate, and are grasping at straws for a solution.
edit on 26-1-2011 by masterofnone because: grammer
)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
imma lancaster pa resident. my middle school was seperated by gender and test scores for 8th grade. our school district is majorly Hispanic and plenty dont care to learn english. there are groups of kids going around by race pretty much jumping any person that appears weaker then them.
edit on 26-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

i went to berlys school instead of mccaskey high school, berlys was the school for bad kids and there was almost 0 race problems, everyone was too stoned.

PS: as a white guy in lanclanc i am looking at buying a bulletproof hoodie >.>

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
In 1896, the Supreme Court ruled in Plessy v Ferguson that seperate, but equal institutions (schools, workhouses etc) for seperate races was acceptable. This was overturned for schools in (altogether now) Brown v BOE of Topeka in 1954.

Lancaster seems to be setting back racial equality by over 50 years. The intent might be good, but the precedent here certainly is not.

Seperate is not equal, and this kind of division screams of a time gone past.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

So after 50 years they finally noticed that integration doesn't work.
People like others who are like them. Like the old saying: Birds of a feather flock together.
Nature made it that way. Man cannot supercede Nature and be successful.

Why does this make you all sick?
Take note that you cannot make people love each other by forcing them to be together.
Wake up and be realistic. Go with the flow not against it.
Multiculturism has Never worked anywhere ever. And it will Never work.
Look at India. After thousands of years the blacks there are still outcasts.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

NO race integration works beautifully. you cant mix two people from different family types and expect the one from the better family not to be devalued though. you see sexual harassment daily in Lancaster schools on the most innocent people something does have to be done but separating by skin color is a no no. id say they should still go by test scores but they most likely are.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

That school sounds like a dictatorship. I believe it is absolutely wrong to do what they are doing. Perhaps there has been a great deal of racial tension in the school that they are not mentioning in the original article.

Even then I would believe mediation would work best, not segregation.

It is 2011 people should be able to ignore race by now, too bad many of us cannot.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone

So after 50 years they finally noticed that integration doesn't work.
People like others who are like them. Like the old saying: Birds of a feather flock together.
Nature made it that way. Man cannot supercede Nature and be successful.

So we only seperate 'birds' by skin color or gender? Only people that look alike are allowed to think alike?
Or are we discounting the fact that these people have a brain? and personalities? and feelings? and possibly interests that may be shared by someone of a different skin color?

Why does this make you all sick?

I think we all found another post that might make us sick now

Take note that you cannot make people love each other by forcing them to be together.
Wake up and be realistic. Go with the flow not against it.
Multiculturism has Never worked anywhere ever. And it will Never work.
Look at India. After thousands of years the blacks there are still outcasts.

Every school I ever attended was multicultural, elementary, secondary, university.
Seemed to work perfectly well in those instances.
Your 'flow' may be different than everyone else posting here, so we should all go with yours?
In fact your simple statement here shows that going with the flow actually doesnt work, since the flow of this thread is in one direction, and you are progressing against it.
edit on 26-1-2011 by youdidntseeme because: spelling as usual

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'm interested in what the results of the experiment will be.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Random mentions of segregation failing would be 1950's USA, Apartheid South Africa, current Israel. Of course I must admit that these examples also have issues while attempting mediation. But mediation always works in the long run if the people running the show want it to work.

Can someone please provide me a good example of where this type of segregation has worked positively?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

We don't just get along with people because they are of the same race as ourselves. If a person did something horrible it wouldn't matter what their race was, just like if someone did something good. What comes next?
You get better things because you're white, black, Hispanic...
Then you get to mistreat people of other races too.
Then why don't we put them all away?
Or better yet, why not just kill everyone who is different from us?

Haven't we learned anything from our past?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
there's too many ignorant youth here, simple as that. I remember walking home with my chubby asian friend and latina friend and some black kid just running up and clocking the asian dude in the back of the head and punching my latina friend in the eye calling her brittany spears(she didnt look at all white, it was his justification). theres a reason this town is under survallance, i got 2 of these dame cameras on my house alone.

articles.latimes.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
In 1896, the Supreme Court ruled in Plessy v Ferguson that seperate, but equal institutions (schools, workhouses etc) for seperate races was acceptable. This was overturned for schools in (altogether now) Brown v BOE of Topeka in 1954.

Lancaster seems to be setting back racial equality by over 50 years. The intent might be good, but the precedent here certainly is not.

Seperate is not equal, and this kind of division screams of a time gone past.

I went to school in the southeast of the U.S., when bussing kids to "desegregate" was going on. The result? I went from a school that was about the same as the surrounding neighborhood, as far as racial mix was concerned, to a school where there were, literally, only about 3-5 white students in the entire 6th-grade class. Not one classroom; the entire class. Did this help anyone? Nope; it made the white kids there become targets.

The sick part was, we didn't care what color anyone was. More of the friends we had as kids happened to be black, because that was the kids in our neighborhood that we got along with the best. But the government, in their infinite wisdom (towels to the side for the puddles of dripping sarcasm), decided that moving some white kids into schools in mostly black neighborhoods was a good idea.

Now we see videos on YouTube and other sites of massive fights at schools, between large groups of kids with different skin color, and are told it's still working? You can't fix cultural issues by telling people where to be.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
As for the topic in general, there is a simpler way to fix this issue in the schools. No more public schools. The system doesn't work. People pay into it that don't use it, and parents have little to no control over the type and quality of education that their kids are supposed to be receiving. If parents could ALL choose the school their children attended, the schools would be forced to shape up. Free enterprise would fix this mess. Government control fixes little to nothing.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

This is my point.
No doubt the bussing fiasco was just as ignorant as the forced segregation. That is the point. Forcing the situation one way or another is not the answer. You said that your neighborhoods were already a mix of races and thats the way the schools should have been. Schools are meant to be part of the community and should not be forced to be segregated non segregated or anything else. The school should be a representation of the overall community.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
high schools are just too big, there is a mccaskey and mccaskey east but its still too many students on one campus and not to enough teachers. the kids get in big groups and see power in numbers and act like asses.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I think this is rediculas... I mena if there is an issue with gangs handle that issue dont separate the kinds. Is it not possible for 2 whites kids in the same class to be a part of different gangs and fight?

I mean really...

And what happens if there is an Eskimo family or a family of another uncommon race in the school.... who do they get paired with or are they told to be home schooled?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Well, great!

Let's go back a hundred or more years!

What a great school!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join