It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insurance Company Drops Vet Over 2-Cent Shortage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Source

Two pennies. That's the difference between a potentially life-saving surgery and a dropped insurance plan. Those 2 cents could cost Vietnam veteran Ronald Flanagan everything.

"Everybody we talk to is very surprised that 2 cents is enough to do this," said Flanagan.

It was an innocent enough mistake, according to Ronald's wife, Frances Flanagan. "If I only had just hit the nine instead of the seven," Frances said. When she was paying their monthly health insurance premium online in November, Frances swapped a 7 for a 9, leaving their $328.69 payment 2 cents short.

Regardless of the fact the man is a vet, this is reprehensible action by the insurance company.

I wonder if he would have been dropped for the same reason if he weren't already sick and filing claims.

I've missed an insurance payment and they didn't drop me due to a bank account mixup with the direct payment. I wasn't dropped. Then again, I have used the policy for two minor incidents in the 5 years I've had it so they've been making some serious coin from me.

Federal law states insurance providers must give you a reasonable amount of time to make up a shortage.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Just saw this story on tv, ABC News called the insurance company. They straightened it out but when asked if the company would apologize, the rep said "for what we did nothing wrong and didn't break any laws. The arrogance and insensitivity of some people. It's hard enough having cancer without some idiots making your life harder. Two lousy cents has set him back from treatment.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rede2go

If the text I linked from the source article in my OP is correct, they DID break federal law. There was no warning given to this man that he was 2 pennies short on his monthly payment and was canceled without notification.

Don't expect to receive humane treatment from an insurance company. You are a number rather than a name and if your number indicates you to be a *bad* investment, they will remove you at the earliest possible loophole available to them.

I hope this man has retained legal counsel to verify if any laws were broken by the insurance company and if it is determined that they were he sues them for the distress they caused him. Geez, the guy is looking in the face of some serious medical issues so finding out his coverage was gone in the manner he did would undoubtedly cause incredible mental stress...as if he needs more?

new topics

join