It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Doom 2011: Monitoring rising food prices and shortages around the world as they unfold

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Our global food shortage is a growing and continuing problem. We will see more revolutions in countries with food shorages in the months and years to come. Food prices in the U.S. are rising also with an increasing rate. So far most of the food companies have either absorbed the increased costs or reduced package sizes to keep prices at their current levels. This will not be sustainable however and look for sticker shock in the months to come.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Up here in eastern Canada, I've noticed just in the past year or so most food items have gone up 30% almost right across the board. We're a family of 5 so it adds up quick. We're going to have to learn how to eat more sensibly, and economically. But on the plus side big screen tvs are getting a lot cheaper but all those food ads make me hungry lol. Not funny but oddly true.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Its official the earths cracking up,no really ,great topic and heres something were it becomes a them and us atmosphere,thats what happens when shortage of food really hits home.
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
No were to civilized,we` will all sit like hermits grow long hair and beards down a hole with a bowl
I do not condon or agree with the actions but what will you do,it would be inevitable,survival is being stretched and may visit a area near you soon.I hope it does`nt come to that and TPTB sort out there probs and our strained planet.
edit on 26-1-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
so with food prices on the rise will we see riots like the one in Europe?
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
it all just ties into obamas damn slogans... we will win the future? i think he knows food is going to be an issue, especially with china the way it is. all of that miliatary would crumble because what every country has done to its economy. i think obamas know we will have to compete soon in the future, and i think he knows that not everyone will make it, and to make it seem not as bad, he is starting his slogans now.

it doesn't look good. they have everyone else looking at 2012, but this is coming sooner
edit on 26-1-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: crossing t's dotting i's

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
so with food prices on the rise will we see riots like the one in Europe?
www.youtube.com...

Probably not. The sheeple are too easily herded and controlled in this country. The system has brainwashed society to the point of no return.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
the comforting fact is that when we run out of food, we will always have each other

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
More links regarding food supply.

Water and Wheat shortages in China

Global Food Chain Stretched to the Limit

Seed Vault Intensifies Collection

I do not know for sure how the dying fish, birds, livestock affect the food chain, but it must be to a degree. Japan has culled 410,000 chickens due to bird flu. I don't know how many chickens they have, so this may only be a small amount for them or it could be a large amount!

410,000 Chickens Culled in Japan

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
You know what's funny,
Back before America was a fat country (from eating processed foods consisting mainly from by products and corn syrup) food prices were a constant issue with politicians and presidential races. Then old tricky dick Nixon came up with a plan to create cheap food. It led to the FDA and a food pyramid that pushed about 3/4 of our calories from carbs. This led to a fat nation full of diabetics and never again were food prices a political issue. Until recently...

Now decades into the future, we have the most overfed nation in the world looking at record high food technology, monoculture, GMO issues that Mary Shelley could have written about and creeping legislation that is slowly but surely taking away the rights of individuals to grow their own food. Yet, food still costs more than ever.

See what happens when we trust the government to take care of us?
edit on 26-1-2011 by badgerprints because: context

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
there has been a lot on the tv in great britain about fishing discards due to eu laws recently, chef hugh fernley-whittinstall with support from chef's gordon ramsay and jamie oliver, has been out on trawler boats reporting on the huge amount of perfectly edible fish that has to be thrown back dead into the sea as it is illegal to sell the fish as some are caught out of season. i am not sure if this is an issue in the us but it is beyond belief that this happens in europe or anywhere atall for that matter.

here is a link to some info on the subject
www.scotland.gov.uk...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Now decades into the future, we have the most overfed nation in the world looking at record high food technology, monoculture, GMO issues that Mary Shelley could have written about and creeping legislation that is slowly but surely taking away the rights of individuals to grow their own food. Yet, food still costs more than ever.

It's kinda crazy, the USA is also facing water shortages, yet I've heard that collecting rainwater is now illegal in some states. No links for this, I just know I've read it on ATS somewhere. Food shortages and gardens get outlawed. :shk:

Our government encourages both water collection and gardens, I just wish the growing season was longer. Canada's grain belt has a short growing season, and where it didn't have a drought this year, had flooding.

Fruits and vegies, and grain products is where I see the price hikes. $4 for a good loaf of bread. I figure out my meals by what's on sale.

I now grow herbs indoors instead of house plants, and next summer I'll see what types of vegie plants I can get to grow all year indoors.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

It's kinda crazy, the USA is also facing water shortages, yet I've heard that collecting rainwater is now illegal in some states. No links for this, I just know I've read it on ATS somewhere. Food shortages and gardens get outlawed. :shk:

Our government encourages both water collection and gardens, I just wish the growing season was longer. Canada's grain belt has a short growing season, and where it didn't have a drought this year, had flooding.

Fruits and vegies, and grain products is where I see the price hikes. $4 for a good loaf of bread. I figure out my meals by what's on sale.

I now grow herbs indoors instead of house plants, and next summer I'll see what types of vegie plants I can get to grow all year indoors.

Yes, we can learn something from our North American brethren. Just
goes to show how greedy the U.S. has become. "Don't collect rain water or
grow food even if you are starving or you will go to jail". To be honest I don't
know if it is greed or they are worried about our health. Not! they are trying
to stave off lawsuits due to air, water and soil pollution ie "contamination".
I sense a lurking class action lawsuit................

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This could definately get ugly. Here is another link to add to yours:

www.heraldsun.com.au...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Food Price Rise May Be Lasting-Nestle Chairman
A "worrisome" rise in world food prices may be long-lived, the chairman of Nestle (NESN.VX), the world's biggest food group, told a German newspaper. "The financial and economic crisis in 2008 put an abrupt end to price rises. I am afraid that this time the rise could be lasting," Peter Brabeck told the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung in an interview released on the paper's Internet site ahead of publication on Wednesday. Brabeck said it was "madness" to turn agricultural areas over to the production of biodiesel, even if targets for production of the fuel had been trimmed.

UN's FAO warns against food export restrictions‎
MILAN Jan 26 (Reuters) - The United Nations' food agency on Wednesday warned food producing countries against introducing export curbs to protect local markets as world food prices rose close to the levels that triggered food riots in 2008...

McDonald's Will Raise Prices In 2011
The company has blamed the price hike on the rising prices of some of the ingredients it uses. Extreme weather around the world has created problems for farmers and contributed to shortages. There has been heavy rain in Canada, floods in Australia and drought in Russia. These conditions sharply raised prices for corn and wheat in 2010. The prices of cattle, hog and chicken also went up. Rising prices are also being seen at grocery stores and are hurting restaurants everywhere, meaning that other eateries could soon follow McDonald's lead.

Global Poverty, Food Riots, and the Economic Crisis
A small number of financial institutions and global corporations have the ability to determine the prices of basic food staples quoted on the commodity exchanges, thereby directly affecting the standard of living of millions of people around the world. This process of global impoverishment has reached a major turning point, leading to the simultaneous outbreak of famines in all major regions of the developing world.

Grain, Soybeans Rise as Food Riots Spur Demand for U.S. Exports
Sovereign nations are beginning to stockpile food to prevent unrest, and that will help to boost demand for U.S. grains,” said Jim Gerlach, the president of A/C Trading Inc. in Fowler, Indiana. “You artificially stimulate much higher demand when nations start to increase stockpiles.”

Wheat Poised for Longest Rally in 14 Months on Import Outlook
Jan. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Wheat gained, set for the longest winning streak since November 2009, on speculation North African importers may boost purchases to curb food inflation amid riots about high prices and as dry weather threatens global harvests.
March-delivery wheat advanced as much as 1.2 percent to $8.4825 a bushel, the highest price for a most-active contract in Chicago since Aug. 6. The contract traded at $8.4375 a bushel, up 0.7 percent at 3:36 p.m. Singapore time.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
the comforting fact is that when we run out of food, we will always have each other

As long as we have each other, I for one wont have run out of food.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
This link is also interesting:

Food Prices Manipulated to force GMO food to Europe

They actually plan a food shortage to force people to accept "cheap" genetic modified food.
A wikileak document talks about the manipulation.
edit on 27-1-2011 by EarthOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Everyone that can:

1) Start a community garden with your neighbors or your own garden.. N-O-W.... ask your ag extension office to send you a "master gardner" they work for your state for FREE and cannot take money for the advice... you will get a soil sample, advice on planting, insects.... so do it now... ( I just joined to be a volunteer gardner in my community.... WOW
I can help a lot of people) Start gardening in "cow or horse feed buckets 50 lb tubs make great planters" (get at feed store free) or even 5 gal buckets at your grocery store.(frosting or jelly/pudding tubs)

2) purchase in bulk.. get a 50 lb bag rice/beans/flour/sugar etc...... DIVIDE THIS WITH YOUR FAMILY... COSTS ARE 50 % LESS THAN THE SMALL STORE 5 LB SIZE BAGS!

Purchase industrial size #10 cans of peaches/pears/fruits/greenbeans/corn/tomatoes....dried mashed potatoes in boxes... open one can or corn, eat 2 dishes that week made with corn and, freeze the rest in cassaroles or soups

3) really serious to stock up? go to country feed stores... purchase 50 lb bags of corn/ oats/ millet... (ignore photos of the horses/cows/chickens on pakage!) About $10-$12 bag Purchase a grinder to turn your whole oats into oatmeal, your corn into corn meal.... etc......THIS IS FOOD DURING HARD TIMES YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!

4) go to a meat processing plant.. you (and your friends and family) can purchase a whole slaughterd calf/pig for lots cheaper than paying retail.... 400 lbs of meat in your freezer is great to barter with too!

5) Look for food co-ops starting NOW and get together with church groups.. you can "barter" your skills for free food... OR go to "pick your own" farms... LEARN HOW TO CAN YOUR OWN FOOD ITS CHEAP! AND FUN.. You can get canning jars at resell shops for 10 to 15 cents!!!! WOW

5) If you have the space, raise chickens or beef... we raise our own. I swap eggs and chickens for everything!

So everyone CAN do something... I know.. I am handicapped and use a walker/chair.. I still found time to do all the above, plus donate my time to other charities too....... SO CAN YOU!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I read a news article in our Metro stating that Mc Donalds was jacking up prices to cope with rising food resource prices also, both in Europe and the USA.

Not that it's much like real food though.

edit on 27/1/11 by Romekje because: missed the link to the article in a post further up

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join