It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jared Lee Loughner belongs in a mental institution, but he will probably get the death penalty...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If Loughner killed an unknown civilian, he would be thrown in a mental institution. I'm willing to bet, however, he will get the death penalty because of ‘who’ he killed.

This proves how all men are not created equal; some are more important than others.

This also shows how sensationalism plays into peoples reactions. When civilians die overseas in a comparable manner, it won't even make the news.

everyoneneedstherapy.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I agree Virt, ....

once again, a good point from the pen of a seasoned poet.

Why should this guy be the exception because of WHO he killed, even if he can never be rehabilitated, .... in a way he's not fully responsible for his actions.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The inequality shows up in the terminology too.
There are those of us who are "assassinated" and those of us who are just plain old killed or murdered.

And obviously Loughner belongs in a mental institution.
Even psychopaths can plan and strategise, doesn't make them any less mentally ill.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I'd rather he didnt get the death penalty , should we not be asking him to cooperate with the authorities so we can TRUELY find out his motives and what turns young men into killers so it doesnt happen again ?
This is the real urgent matter NOT banning guns surely ?

ps i dont believe the os,it seems too obvious or orchestrated , (hard to find the right word ) , youtube videos to show you how mad he was, he was the perfect (manchurian ? ) candidate .

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I think I read a news story... may have been linked on ATS... that Loughner is being charged only for the "attempted murder" of Giffords and her aids. Perhaps I misunderstood... but if this is true, he may not get the death penalty.

You're absolutely right about the double-standard though. Oh I found the story...

Loughner indicted on 3 charges

U.S. Attorney Dennis K. Burke said in the news release the investigation is in its early stages and could include potential death-penalty charges.

A conviction for the attempted assassination of a member of Congress carries a maximum penalty of life in prison, a $250,000 fine or both.

A conviction for attempted murder of a federal employee has a penalty of 20 years, a $250,000 fine or both.

Is the penalty for murder of a "federal employee" really different than murder of a non-federal employee? What? Because they are worth more (financially) to the government?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Executing the criminaly insane should be standard procedure.
Why warehouse them at the expense of good people?
The money could be better spent on those who can be helped.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
He did kill 6 people though, eM.

reply to post by eMachine

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Indeed, why not get rid of anyone who isn't useful. How would you define the person, would they have to commit said acts first?

Originally posted by OhZone

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

..... so humanity has a price on it ???

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
He did kill 6 people though, eM.

Yeah, I know that. I'm surprised he's not first being indicted for killing the judge actually. Maybe because they believe he was targeting Giffords and her staff, does that mean he will only get manslaughter charges for those who were actually killed? This is a very strange case. Didn't he also plead not guilty? Definitely not in his right mind, if he had one...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Anytime there is with no doubt on the crime of someone murdering another as is here with witnesses and video. Crazy or not should not matter. Death penalty should be used.
To many times people are claimed to be reformed only to do murder once cut free. Stop the madness from spreading.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Indeed it does...and if you choose to dismiss the noun and take matters into you own hands, you may pay the ultimate price, just like the victims - mentally unstable or not.

Or, in other words, you feel society should pay for the rehabilitation of an individual that had enough of his own faculties to plan it out, but not enough to claim he should be put to death..?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

It sure does.

Haven't you noticed?

Why do you suppose that the med/pharma cartel is so wealthy?
YOu get sick, you must pay to be helped.
No money, no treatment.
Everything you need requires $$$ to get.

You would pay to warehouse this miscreant?
There is only so much $ to go around.
Choices must be made.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I agree completely! he will get death, and wont be able to get the insanity plea. The media has already marked him for death... just a matter of time.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

if your concerns are really of money, .....

wouldn't it be a good idea to deprivatize these criminal factories we call prisons ??

does it really serve the best interest of the people to have prisons run like corporations, ... with no emphasis on rehabilitation, and only aimed to keep its population as long as possible and incarcerate more.

we cant do that, ... but we can execute people ??

should we lower ourselves to their level.

I just try to not think in terms of " what we should do", .... and more in terms of, .... what are we capable of. as a species, and a society.

edit on 26-1-2011 by IntastellaBurst because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
There are systems in place to determine if someone is mentally fit or not. If they are not mentally fit, they are essentially innocent because they don't control themselves and don't have the ability to. It's not an excuse, it's just how it is...

reply to post by facelift

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply. Interestingly enough, another thread was just posted that suggests loughner researched how painful a lethal injection was. This further adds to the insanity, considering he still went through with it...

reply to post by ugie1028

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

This further adds to the insanity, considering he still went through with it...

No...it adds credence to the theory that he knew god damn well what he was doing and prepared for it.

Your denial is sad...but, so is this whole situation.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

He really checked to see if the lethal injection would be painful?

Eh there goes his chance for the insanity plea. If that's the case then he planned it and will definitely be executed.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
He either checked it out...... OR, we quite possibly have another conspiracy on our hands.

How do we know for a fact he searched for it?

Either way... if I searched for something like that, AND then still went through with it, I would be pretty crazy... It doesn't make him any less crazy. Unless you want to admit erad3 was a bot posted on ATS?

Originally posted by ugie1028

He really checked to see if the lethal injection would be painful?

Eh there goes his chance for the insanity plea. If that's the case then he planned it and will definitely be executed.

edit on 27-1-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join