It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

id like some info about atlantis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
moe

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 09:43 PM
link   
hey if anyone has any info about that civilization, Id like to get my grubby hands on it. its a subject I have much intrest in thanks.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 10:19 PM
link   
moe check back tomorrow...My youngest daughter has hid the keybaord to my imac (she's only 2
). So I can't access my files. have them on my comp at the office though.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   
It was located outside of the Pillars of Hercules. No one knows for sure what these were, so finding its final resting location has been difficult. There are several civilizations that have been dug up in the search for Atlantis. There is still a possibility that Antarctica is Atlantis because there are maps which are thousands of years old that show the landmass of the continent, before the glaciers covered it. The maps might not be thousands of years old (I can't exactly remember), but they came long before satellite mapping.

Other theories are that it is South American, around the Carribean islands, in areas around Greece, near Italy, around the Bermuda Triangle, and just west of north Africa. Is there any definitive proof? No.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 10:51 PM
link   
heres an article ............

On a winter night in 373 BC, the classical Greek city of Helike was destroyed by a massive earthquake and tidal wave. The entire city and all its inhabitants were lost beneath the sea. What has bewitched archaeologists about Helike is that it was engulfed just when ancient Greece was reaching its height; when the philosophy and art that inspired the western world for thousands of years were invented.

Inspiring the myth

Its destruction was one of the most appalling tragedies of the classical world and most probably the reality behind the myth of Atlantis. But now, unlike Atlantis, a team of archaeologists may have found Helike - a lost city from the heyday of Greek civilisation. If it is as well preserved as everyone hopes, Helike could be a time capsule from this crucial time in human development.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Another theory (The most commonly-accepted one I've heard of) involves the island of Thera, which was once part of the Cretean empire that controlled the trade all over the Agean Seas area (Cretean empire fell from its height before the Greeks came out of their "dark ages").

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I guess you have to start with Plato's Critias and his Timaeus: there are good Penguin translations. There is quite a lot of detail there.
The Helike angle is quite a new one and I am unconvinced. It cannot be proved but I suspect that Plato's dialogues were written some time before the destruction of Helike.
Certainly Thera has tended to be the main chopice for those who believe that Plato is referring to some real event rather than simply manipulating myth and legend in order to make a philosophical point.
The most obvious interpretation of Plato, howver, remains that of an island somewhere in the Atlantic beyond the Straits of Gibraltar. But do remember just how shaky geography was in the fourth century BC.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 05:40 AM
link   
EYGPT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I lied more words.

Halls of Amenti

The Book of Thoth

See what you get.

arc

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I think there was more than one atlantis, if you define atlantis as a land that was buried beneath the sea. The level of the sea has risen and fallen significantly over time - if you think that during an ice age much of the sea water was locked up in glaciers and icecaps then the level of the sea during an ice age would be much much lower. Therefore land would be exposed in all locations where there are now oceans. So technically all the conflicting opinions as to the exact location of atlantis are right - there probably were civilisations in all the locations cited.

there is a very interesting book called 'the view over atlantis' by John Mitchell which gives some good theories on atlantis itself and some mysteries of early civilisations.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 06:11 AM
link   
that is a good way a looking at this mystery. I never thought of that. Good find. Now check out the book of thoth. I only read the first chapter but I intend to read more later. It is kind of creepy, I sure it gets darker and darker the further into the Halls of Amenti you go. The journey is pagan and erie. I think this Egyptian myteries are evil. The land of Giza is cursed and condemned. I fear for the future of the Arabs in Eygpt. They are lost, thanks to our evil government. Those people are oppressed. They are being punished for the acts of the Palestinian suicide bomber. This land is dead. The life is exausted. Help me find out why.

Look up the Book of Thoth, the Halls of Amenti, and while your at it, Vril on a search engine and find the hidden truths within. Those that want the truth will.

Beware......this is not for weak minds.

moe

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   
cooooooool! this should provide adequate reading material for awhile.
sorry yknow, news is getting old already.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 12:45 PM
link   
moe check out this string:
xmb.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm sorry I haven't been able to post a lot yet...we are on deadline...news coming in like crazy...

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The first, and the one that seems to make the most sense, is that Atlantis IS South America. As for the sinking, the point of contention is that it only involved the capital city of Atlantis itself. Using Homer's measurements, in the Greek stades, and other references Homer makes, such as size, shape of the plain (specifically, the Alta Plano in South America), etc. really seems to bear out. TDC had an excellent special on it a while back, and there are some good books out as well.

The other theory (as previously mentioned) that seems pretty good, involves the island of Thera. The geography fits the description of the city of Atlantis, as well as the timeline. They also seemed to have an independent culture and animals not native to the isle (from surviving frescoes), that seem to coincide with Homer's descriptions, but the measurements and location don't match up as good as the South American explaination (at least as it refers to the various kingdoms, etc. that made up Atlantis).

For my money, I'd go with the South American explaination, as it seems to jive with every facet of the story, from either the Egyptian, or Homer's telling.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
I guess you have to start with Plato's Critias and his Timaeus: there are good Penguin translations. There is quite a lot of detail there.

Plato's works on Atlantis are usually referred to as "Plato's Dialogues". If I'm not mistaken, Atlantis first appeared in his second Dialogue...Now what was the name of that sucker again?...

Some scholars think that the basic *concept* that inspired Plato with Atlantis came from Egypt...Ancient Egypt was the source of a wide variety of Classical Greek philosophies & sciences. I can't verify this, but somewhere I've read that the Mesopotanians first passed the story onto Egypt.
Most of my research materials about Atlantis are not conveniently at-hand right now...

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Abraham Virtue
that is a good way a looking at this mystery. I never thought of that. Good find. Now check out the book of thoth. I only read the first chapter but I intend to read more later. It is kind of creepy, I sure it gets darker and darker the further into the Halls of Amenti you go. The journey is pagan and erie. I think this Egyptian myteries are evil. The land of Giza is cursed and condemned. I fear for the future of the Arabs in Eygpt. They are lost, thanks to our evil government. Those people are oppressed. They are being punished for the acts of the Palestinian suicide bomber. This land is dead. The life is exausted. Help me find out why.

Look up the Book of Thoth, the Halls of Amenti, and while your at it, Vril on a search engine and find the hidden truths within. Those that want the truth will.

Beware......this is not for weak minds.

Well I took a look at Vril and found some interesting topics. Abraham, if you could explain to me the dark sun a little more in detail I would really appreciate that. To me, from what I read and saw of the dark sun, the only logical conclusion of the information given is Jupiter aligned with the sun creating the image of an eye.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a thought just entered my head while reading these posts i dont know if it qualifys as a theory or if its been covered elsewhere but california is in danger of falling into the sea isnt it?because it lies on the andreas fault or something.is there a chance this has happened before at some point in the past?and if so is it possible to work out if any of the locations already mentioned had a fault underneath them at the time they dissappeared or when any great landmass dissappeared this way?

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It's geography suggests it, as it's on a volcano...

However, the Alta Plano in South America was obviously once under water (from the geographic evidence), and as I mentioned, it really seems to fit the bill....

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 05:32 PM
link   
you probably know more about that Sun than I do. I will see what I can find though. If I am not mistaken it is a symbol some esoteric secret society of some sort. I think it was either The Hermatic Order of the Golden Dawn, or the maybe it was the symbol of Nimrod, I really don't know for sure. I need to do more research on this refernce to the thoth and the Vril powers. The thoth is boring for me, but the stories on Vril are amazing. I will seek out more as you should as well. Just don't fall in to their trap.

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by squintingcat...and if so is it possible to work out if any of the locations already mentioned had a fault underneath them at the time they dissappeared or when any great landmass dissappeared this way?

I've already checked with geologists about this...They say that, wherever Atlantis *might* have been, it certainly wasn't out in the Atlantic ocean. This is because the current topography of the Atlantic seabed does *not* support the concept of a large land mass having *ever* been sunk out there. Computer modeling of the continental drift over long periods of time is what denies that theory.

Originally posted by 29MV29 To me, from what I read and saw of the dark sun, the only logical conclusion of the information given is Jupiter aligned with the sun creating the image of an eye.

Take a look at the solar system itself...The *only* way that Jupiter & the Sun could create the image of an eye that could be seen on Earth is if either the Sun passed in between Jupiter & Earth (In this case, the Sun would completely *obscure* any view of Jupiter) or if Jupiter passed between the Earth & Sun (Which would mean that Jupiter didn't *form* in its orbit, but was a "captured" planet that passed into such a position before coming into its current orbital path); The only other possibility is the Earth itself is a "captured" planet & it happened at such a recent time that the Egyptians could *record the Earth's move into the solar system*. If you consider any other planets that could've formed the image of an eye with the Sun, the only other possibilities would be Mercuray or Venus...Mercery would be too small to suggest an eye-image, but Venus *might* have been able to accomplish this.

So how could they *possibly* form the image of an eye (at least, from the viewpoint of Earth)? If somehow this indeed happened at any time during the span of human history on Earth, wouldn't you also be able to find other references recorded from other cultures? And yet, this is the first & *only* time I've ever heard of this theory...Even when I consider how many years of research I've already done on Egypt in particular.

BTW, I haven't yet looked up those references to the Book of Toth or The Halls of Amenti...But you can be sure that I'll also be finding out about how reliable those references actually are...

[Edited on 23-3-2003 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 08:02 AM
link   
skeptical to go about looking for accuracy in sources because in part because I would know how and in part I trust my own rational mind to make such decisions. The only problem with that is my lack of a rational mind.

[Edited on 23-3-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Heh! You might wish to read my post again, Abraham...I edited it during the time you entered your reply...

For one thing, the first few references that the Google-search made to the Book of Thoth also refer to Alistair Crowley...I can't trust *him* as a reliable source about *anything*...Especially any claims he made in the book he authored himself (Which can be purchased at Amazon.com...Which I have *no* intention of doing) or the Tarot deck he designed (Supposedly based from the original Book of Thoth itself...Which I don't believe he ever truly had possession of).

Other references only spoke of stories *about* the Book of Thoth, but nothing of its supposed contents other than general descriptions of the breadth & depth of its contents. Not much to go on there...Except that you'd have to travel to Egypt & find the tomb of Neferkeptah to get the actual book itself. As the cheif scribes in those days were usually members of the royal family, you may also have to find out what other names he may have used in order to find his tomb. Changing & adding names to members of the royal family *was* common practice, so you'd have to look deeply into the old Egyptian records...

The story of Setna that commonly surrounds the the Book of Thoth may indeed be a part of Egyptian records, but there's no way that I know of to either verify or debunk the original story itself. I'm only going to debunk anything that Alestair Crowley had to do with it.

[Edited on 23-3-2003 by MidnightDStroyer]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join