It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival tips on Sesame Street?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Just found this clip of an ínfomercial from Sesame Street about how to prepare your bug out bag. What do "they" wanna tell us?!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It seems grover forgot to pack his ephedrine and wooden stick matches. Good find op...flag

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Nothing new here, for as long as I can remember there's been things like this telling people to be prepared just in case. Being prepared for an emergency is just common sense.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This is the 'Laugh at you' phase...

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they attack you, then you win. (Ghandi)

This laugh at you phase is a coordinated disinformation campaign. They did it on 'The View' also laughing at Jesse Ventura's lawsuit against the TSA, and last night when Obama also laughed about TSA groping.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

Did I miss something? Who are they laughing at here? To me, it's a kid-friendly way of telling people they should be prepared just in case something happens. They've been telling people that for years.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by EssenSieMich
and last night when Obama also laughed about TSA groping.

Wow he laughed about that, what a moron. Wonder if he would be laughing if it was his daughter’s.

Op i was thinking it would be a good idea if sesame street did a follow up commercial, oh I don’t know how about they title it ... safety first, how to safely get on and off the FEMA fun bus.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03
reply to post by EssenSieMich

Did I miss something? Who are they laughing at here? To me, it's a kid-friendly way of telling people they should be prepared just in case something happens. They've been telling people that for years.

You've said that twice. Being very old--I remember squatting under my desk because the teacher yelled "A-bomb," and as the father of four, I do not recall that ever being an issue for the last forty years at least. The gov't gave up on the A-bomb shelters, the old 5-gal cans of biscuits, etc. long ago. Do you have something that can back up your contention?

Actually, this whole idea of a backpack "bugout bag" business is a rather new "fad" for survivialist and here the kids' program is enlisting the kids in the preparation. This just ain't normal.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Yeah, sorry about repeating it twice, it seems a lot of people just skip most posts and just read the first and the last couple. Anyways, that was just my experience all throughout school. They pushed the idea a lot that you should be prepared like that in case something should happen. All throughout gradeschool into high school. I don't know, maybe just an Illinois thing =P

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
We teach our Cub Scouts about emergency responce. What to do in an emergency is something best learned early on and reinforced. No different IMHO than say telling your small kids not to go with strangers etc.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Exactly, preparation is the best defence. Doesn't necessarily mean something bad is going to happen, because in today's world you just never know. Seems some people jump at anything that could possibly be used to say doom is coming.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
We teach our Cub Scouts about emergency response. What to do in an emergency is something best learned early on and reinforced. No different IMHO than say telling your small kids not to go with strangers etc.

I completely agree.

However, it is a little strange to find this on Sesame Street. It is hard to imagine that the little kids that watch sesame street would even understand what a BOB would even be used for. I don't see a problem with this, Its never a bad thing to be prepared.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Topsy_Cret

From a headline on Rense a few minutes ago, I just went to a You Tube video where a guy shows the new video game for kids put out by FEMA and made at the U of Illinois in Chicago. Basically, it helps a young boy use virtual reality to put items his on-the-spot-created BOB.

The helper, by the way, is a little alien saucer that comes down from a larger mothership and gives him instructions on what to put into the BOB. The idea to be prepared for emergencies, evidently earthquakes if not other natural clamities. So this is just another indication of several related things that are noticeable popping up in our lives. Happenstance maybe...maybe not.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
yeah here is the youtube video!
www.youtube.com...

and the game is here
www.ready.illinois.gov...
edit on 27-1-2011 by rushunt because: I CANNOT GET THE YT LINKY DOWN

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I don’t see anything wrong with it. People (even people in the government) are staring to realize that a sizable portion of the population are helpless when presented with a disaster situation. This is just part of trying to get people thinking for them selves in such situations. You run them through the process of what you have to do in out of the ordinary situations, that makes them more “at ease” if it happens in real life. They don’t feel so helpless, to the point of just shutting down and waiting for someone (the government) to help.

The best time to start is when they are young. It is just the process of correcting a long degradation of self reliance and critical thinking in society.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I went to elementary school in a brand new school in New Jersey. I remember the drills - a siren would sound, the teachers would instruct us all to get under our desks and cover our heads with our arms. I was too young then to realize the irony of being under my desk, arms wrapped around my head and staring out of the nearly floor to ceiling windows along the outer wall of the school!

top topics

join