It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading in dreams impossible?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pa.Frost

Reading, smelling, tasting, colors, physical sensation - all happens, all the time. Rare, sure, but not "impossible", at least not in my experience.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Oh, even played cards in dreams, from time to time.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Reading, smelling, tasting, colors, physical sensation - all happens, all the time. Rare, sure, but not "impossible", at least not in my experience.

Yep, all the same senses we use IRL (in real life) can be experienced in dreams. Generally though, the brain can only recreate using what it has already experienced, i.e. it draws on what you've seen/heard/touched/smelt/tasted in your waking life when constructing the dream world. If you haven't done a particular thing IRL, the brain will do it's best to portray it, but it won't be exact. For example, my wife dreamt a friend gave her a smoke of a joint the other day. Not having done it IRL, she didn't feel anything. On the other hand, I have experienced getting high in dreams a few times, and it felt pretty similar to the real thing.

On the lucidity topic again (sorry this isn't the main topic of the thread I know, but in my opinion it's hard to discuss dreams without it coming up!), paying attention to your physical senses is a good way of keeping you 'grounded' in lucid dream and helps to prolong the dream as your mind is kept inside the dream and not drawn back to its waking state. Ironically though, concentrating too much on something with a singular focus can cause the dream to fade. You need to maintain a kind of calm awareness of your surroundings and senses, but not get too emotionally heightened or focused on one thing, otherwise you'll find yourself waking up very quickly.

I'm not adept enough at lucid dreaming to have them frequently enough to conduct regular experiments, but it would be cool to do a test to see how long you can intentionally read something in a dream without waking up, and also just what the hell your subconscious comes up for you to read! I've heard of very experienced lucid dreamers being able to practice essays or exams in a dream, before carrying out the real thing the next day. How useful would that be!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
In remote viewing... it is the same... reading papers and numbers is supposed to be rare...

The processing of the information is different, then what I originally thought...

I have learned through application of reading, that the brain does process information through certain areas... It does not go through the part that processes the symbol that numbers and language represent..

The understanding might be their but the reading of them is rare...

My favorite was reading comics in an alternate reality.. It was one of three times I read in a dream...

I am trying to remember the formula for psychohistory... It was on the chalkboards in a laboratory.. right to left, five chalk boards long.. All I can get is what some of it is based on... i.e. where the formula has simple relations... Large part game theory and simple electronics...

S and f

try a tape recorder with a link for your computer where you can store and transfer your dreams to disk... the words you can transfer faster to a recorder... lter on you can write them out..

again ty for a good and different post

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It's all incorrect assumptions actually.

I have disproved these assumptions myself in my own dreams.

I can see vivid colors in my dreams.
I can read signs and papers in my dreams.
I can count numbers and do math in my dreams.

I have done all of these things multiple times in random dreams. So I know what I am talking about.

I have like 3 or 4 dreams per night that I typically remember the next day.

There is no logical or rational reason why this isn't possible, obviously since it is possible and happens.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Well, it's always been impossible for me! In fact, I can't even see... That is, most of my dreams take place in thick twilight, and lights (torches = flashlights, room lights, don't work. I can't even see to dial a phone.)
That's one of 3 ways I know something is actually a dream..
Vicky

Just curious but do you sleep with a light on by any chance? If you don't mind my asking that is, but I was only wondering because I find that if I sleep during the day, when it's light, it's often kinda dark in my dream or I have difficulty seeing things.

peace
J

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I read in my dreams quite often. Sometimes I look up words in dictionaries, and I sort of remember these new words when I wake up.
I've also done crossword and sudoku puzzles in my dreams, though I'm not sure if I completed them successfully.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I have had multiple dreams in the past where I've had trouble reading things as well. I've also had moments in said dream where I realize the difficulty I'm having and this awareness alters the text in my dream.

My dreams don't typically make a whole lot of sense. In one odd dream of mine I was talking to a woman who handed me some sort of contract or form that explained why I was unable to be in a store (can't remember much more detail than that). I looked at the form and realized it was complete gibberish, and then the content of the form shifted to something that was legible. It then read kind of Old English-like. I woke up remembering how odd that was.

It was like my brain didn't think it was important enough to fill in the form with actual readable content until I noticed.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yes , One can read in their dreams. I have read many times in dreams. Once I was reading some novel in my dreams and read many pages of it, thinking to myself wow how is the brain capable of this while sleeping. When I woke up I wondered if I had remote viewed it. I've also taken math tests in my dreams, although I've taken Calculus and Differential Equations with Applicatations, I finally left the room in that dream because the math was too ridiculous. Quite often I will find myself smoking in my dreams which is odd because I have never smoked in my life.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by skjalddis

Originally posted by Vicky32

Just curious but do you sleep with a light on by any chance? If you don't mind my asking that is, but I was only wondering because I find that if I sleep during the day, when it's light, it's often kinda dark in my dream or I have difficulty seeing things.

peace
J

That's an interesting point! I do sometimes sleep during the day, and where I am it's very seldom actually dark... which is often a nuisance (we have huge amounts of cloud around, which always lightens the sky.)
Vicky

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This is something that I've always wondered, but recently I have been managing myself to read in dreams and remember the dates and times I've read. For example I know if it's a lucid dream by looking at my cellphone in my dream and seeing the time and date. A dream that I had about two weeks ago, I looked at my cellphone and the time and date was Jan.14 2011 - 5:31pm. I knew it was Jan. 17 because before I sleep I repeat to myself what day it is. It's worked about three or four times, hard thing about it is remembering to look at my cellphone lol.

good thread.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The only text of writing i have ever seen in a dream where these really old looking scrolls with heihrogliph looking letters, these scrolls where found when i entered a pyramid ufo which had landed.

I have really weird dreams

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I am able to read in my dreams but I mostly like to fly. All my dreams are in color. One of my dreams I was reading a highway sign that read Mithra. The side of the road had lush forested valleys and a spired castle in the mountains with cloud coverage at the base. I woke up shortly after this and decieded to look up the meaning of it. Or if it was such a word. Apparently it is part of the zoroastrian religion.

Alot of times I live my dreams longer then there is time in the day as it's precieved.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I remember in 2008 i had the most vivid lucid dream i have ever had. I was in a school building and I ran to a bulletin board because i was curious as to what it would say. There were signs posted with nonsensical words printed on them. I remember thinking "well i guess i can't read here".

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
It's possible to read in dreams, but it's not very easy for most people because dreaming is primarily a visual activity that takes place in your occipital lobe, which is not generally the part of your brain that interprets sounds, which is key to reading. Translating symbols into sounds that make up words. A lot of that is done in the right temporal lobe of the brain, and it isn't used that much in dreams.

So the limitation of reading in dreams has more to do with what parts of your brain are being used than anything. If the stimulation spills out of the visual and into the hearing and processing parts, you'll be able to read. Of course, what you read might be nonsense. Or it could be something your brain is trying to communicate with you the only way it can. By writing you a note.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I have never seen words or books in my dreams. Not even street signs....

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by soldier_ant

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Yep, all the same senses we use IRL (in real life) can be experienced in dreams. Generally though, the brain can only recreate using what it has already experienced, i.e. it draws on what you've seen/heard/touched/smelt/tasted in your waking life when constructing the dream world. If you haven't done a particular thing IRL, the brain will do it's best to portray it, but it won't be exact. For example, my wife dreamt a friend gave her a smoke of a joint the other day. Not having done it IRL, she didn't feel anything. On the other hand, I have experienced getting high in dreams a few times, and it felt pretty similar to the real thing.

[snip]

I would agree, but I know that I have experienced at least some things in dreams that I have never experienced in real life. One dream (if that's what it was...), I was stabbed in the lower spine. Never happened in real life, but in the dream, I felt the quite intense pain, and the subsequent lack of feeling below the injury immediately afterward. NOT a pleasant dream, and that part of my back actually "tingled" for hours after I woke up.

A family member has dreams of various injuries he's never had, too, and worse.

Dreams, or some odd form of remote viewing?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
This is very funny, because I can't even count how many times I've tried to read in dreams, and every time I try to read a sentence one word at a time, the words change and make no sense. I'd read sentence, look away, look back and it changed to something completely different.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Not only have I read in dreams, I have written in dreams as well. I recently had one like that, and I saw exactly what I was writing but my penmanship was super sloppy like when I was a child.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Yes I read in dreams. Never read that you can't.

Good thread OP. F&S

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join