It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Breaking: Uranium Mine Collapses in DR Congo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The BBC are reporting that a uranium mine has collapsed in DR congo, and that at least 9 people have been killed. The uranium mine has been officially closed since 1960, and authorities then filled the main shaft with uranium to block digging. An estimated 6,000 miners still labored in the area despite the ban, most drawn by the cobalt ore also in the soil there.

Uranium mine that fueled WWII bombs collapses in Congo, 8 killed

KINSHASA, Congo - The east Congo uranium mine that fueled the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki collapsed, killing at least eight miners digging there illegally, mining authorities said Monday.

Congo's mining minister denied claims by miners that up to 30 of their colleagues remained trapped inside. "No ... the others were saved in time," Congo Mining Minister Diomi Ndongala said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 12-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[edit on 12-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Thanks for bulking out the topic a bit =) I've been searching, google.com and news.yahoo.com have no reports of this yet.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
BBC article;
Here

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
30 seems like alot for an "Illegal" mining operation. Wonder if they were after something else?

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
i've seen these things on documentaries before.. They are mining for parts for mobile phones which sell for a fair bit of money.. they illegally ship them out of the country and get sold on to legit companies

top topics

join