It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Color-coded terror warnings to be gone by April 27

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I did a quick search and didn't see anything on this. This is news to me. If it has been posted before then please delete it. Whats next for the War on Terror?

"WASHINGTON – By the end of April, terror threats to the U.S. will no longer be described in shades of green, blue, yellow, orange and red, The Associated Press has learned.

The nation's color-coded terror warning system will be phased out beginning this week, according to government officials familiar with the plan. The officials requested anonymity to speak ahead of an announcement scheduled Thursday by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.

The Homeland Security Department and other government agencies have been reviewing the Homeland Security Advisory System's usefulness for more than a year. One of the most notable changes to come: The public will no longer hear automated recordings at U.S. airports stating that the threat level is orange.

The Obama administration will take the next three months to roll out a replacement, which will be called the National Terrorism Advisory System. The new plan calls for notifying specific audiences about specific threats. In some cases, it might be a one-page threat description sent to law enforcement officials describing the threat, what law enforcement needs to do about it and what the federal government is doing, one of the officials said.

When agency officials think there is a threat the public should know about, they will issue an announcement and rely on news organizations and social media outlets to get the word out.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said the old threat system served a valuable purpose in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, but that a more targeted system was needed.

"It sounds to me like the changes they are proposing make sense," King said in a statement. "We will have to wait and see how they implement this new, more targeted system. I expect the biggest challenge for DHS will be balancing the need to provide useful and timely information with the need to protect sensitive information."

The five-tiered, color-coded terror warning system, created after the Sept. 11 attacks, was one of the Bush administration's most visible anti-terrorism programs. Criticized as too vague to be useful in communicating the terror threat to the public, it quickly became the butt of late-night talk show jokes.

The government hasn't made changes in the colored alert levels since 2006, despite an uptick in attempted attacks against the U.S. However, the government has changed security protocols since then based on threats. For example, new airport security measures were introduced after an effort to bring down a Detroit-bound jetliner on Christmas Day 2009.

"The old Bush color-coded system taught Americans to be scared, not prepared," said Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., the top Democrat on the House Homeland Security Committee. "Each and every time the threat level was raised, very rarely did the public know the reason, how to proceed, or for how long to be on alert."

Under that system, green, at the bottom, signals a low danger of attack; blue signals a general risk; yellow, a significant risk; orange, a high risk, and red, at the top, warns of a severe threat. Since the outset, the nation has never been below the third threat level, yellow — an elevated or significant risk of terrorist attack.

The use of colors emerged from a desire to clarify the nonspecific threat information that intelligence officials were receiving after the 2001 attacks."

news.yahoo.com...http ://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110126/ap_on_re_us/us_color_coded_threats
edit on 26-1-2011 by liejunkie01 because: sorry link problems

edit on 26-1-2011 by liejunkie01 because: I am having serious problems here. I copy pasted the story.

edit on 26-1-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Is there a link to this? What do they plan to use instead...?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

Here is a link I found googling the OPs info....

Color-coded terror warnings to be gone by April 27

The Homeland Security Department and other government agencies have been reviewing the Homeland Security Advisory System's usefulness for more than a year. One of the most notable changes to come: The public will no longer hear automated recordings at U.S. airports stating that the threat level is orange.

The Obama administration will take the next three months to roll out a replacement, which will be called the National Terrorism Advisory System. The new plan calls for notifying specific audiences about specific threats. In some cases, it might be a one-page threat description sent to law enforcement officials describing the threat, what law enforcement needs to do about it and what the federal government is doing, one of the officials said.

When agency officials think there is a threat the public should know about, they will issue an announcement and rely on news organizations and social media outlets to get the word out.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

link

explains all there

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic
Is there a link to this? What do they plan to use instead...?

I'm sorry about that. I posted the link again. I was editing it when you left the reply. It was ticking me off a bit.
edit on 26-1-2011 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Since I already messed this thread up, I am going to experiment with getting my crap straight. I appologize for the waste of your time.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

No worries bro, not a waste of time. Got all the info nonetheless

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Something does not smell right about changing the threat level warning system.

At this time it sounds as if there will be much more control over the population.

But, I will reserve my final judgement when the entire plan is reveled.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Seeing as it hasn't gone green or blue since 9/11 and has rarely seen yellow, we really might as well save some money and do away with it.

Just always assume we're always at perpetual orange and think red and panic if you hear a loud bang or announcement.

If something's happening, the news organization barely have the time to sneak in, "Oh and the threat level is red!"

And pretty much anyone who travels with any regularity has tuned out those monotonous, continual announcements anyway. It would be nice not to hear them for a change.

edit on 1/26/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Seeing as it hasn't gone green or blue since 9/11 and has rarely seen yellow, we really might as well save some money and do away with it.

Just always assume we're always at perpetual orange and think red and panic if you hear a loud bang or announcement.

If something's happening, the news organization barely have the time to sneak in, "Oh and the threat level is red!"

And pretty much anyone who travels with any regularity has tuned out those monotonous, continual announcements anyway. It would be nice not to hear them for a change.

edit on 1/26/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

I agree, I wonder how many people really know what level it is at right now. I quit paying attention to it a long time ago.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

After all the ridicule that system and Tom Ridge got about it from SNL, Letterman, Leno and a host of others I'm not surprised to see it go.

It was pretty useless. What's wrong with words like Low, Moderate, High and Extreme? Are we that pathetic that we need a Sesame Street system for something supposedly as important as this?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Probably had more to do with psyops and fearmongering than real safety or security anyway?

I dunno...just always seemed pointless to me.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riffrafter

After all the ridicule that system and Tom Ridge got about it from SNL, Letterman, Leno and a host of others I'm not surprised to see it go.

It was pretty useless. What's wrong with words like Low, Moderate, High and Extreme? Are we that pathetic that we need a Sesame Street system for something supposedly as important as this?

I don't know if I would use the word pathetic. Something along the lines of lost or blinded sounds pretty good. I grew up watching Sesame Street. I would love to see Oscar the grouch giving the alert messages.lol

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Finally, one measure that they've used to keep us scared is now dead. Besides, I like the plan and you will to. Won't reveal anything yet. There aren't too many things I like so for me to like it means it is good.

This was used to leverage the populous whereas if we collectively weren't fearful enough they raised the colour thus in return abusing it for what the purpose it was not either designed nor intended for.
edit on 27-1-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join