It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spread of Rats Worries Locals, Experts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Exotic African rats are burrowing in on Grassy Key, drawing attention from residents and federal wildlife officials.

``Who knows, they may end up in the Everglades next.''

john

www.miami.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
What an Idea for terrorists, right? Release some gambien rats into Miami--Why not new york?--They are almost as adept at adoption/adaption as cockroaches.
Cricetomys gambianus warfare.
or exotic animal warfare in general...hmmm

This idiot sells them:
exoticpets.about.com...

But thank goodness, The United States government has banned the sale or trade of gambien rats due to the 2003 monkey pox outbreak.

And actually, I saw a man on the subway in spanish harlem NY with 2 of the freaky beasts, just last week. Very docile in captivity. They just stood on his shoulders--But Id rather not face one after its had a chance to breed for a few generations in the glades .
KRis

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I just saw a report on the discovery channel about these rats being trained to detect land mines!

So, hey... they do have *some* useful purpose...

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxKrisxx
What an Idea for terrorists, right? Release some gambien rats into Miami--Why not new york

I'd bet on the local NYC rats considering some of the things I've seen crawling out of sewers up there. They practically talk...

Hey, I'm walking here...

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

I'd bet on the local NYC rats considering some of the things I've seen crawling out of sewers up there. They practically talk...

Hey, I'm walking here...

YEAH...and then they end up breeding....

You got a HUGE filthy nasty rat with attitude...then you have millions of them.

I didnt realize the real issue of rats in NYC, until I saw the traps in the WTC site during the "clean up". OH they were all over the site--YOu can figure why, But thats a whole nother story.
Rats are opportunistic and take advantage of any food source available--even each other when necessary. Due to their aggressive nature, this is a serious if not potentially disasterous situation down there in the keys.

top topics

join