It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The internet has run out of IP addresses and what happens after that is anyone's guess

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

The internet has run out of IP addresses and what happens after that is anyone's guess

www.news.com.au

IT'S the end of the web as we know it.

Since its inception, the internet has become the life source of our economy, and our daily lives – a vast, never ending supply of information delivered to our homes, and workplaces at rapid speeds.

Just like the housing bubble, and the stock market - it was never supposed to slow down - that is until it ran out of IP addresses.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Internet to Run Out of IP Addresses 'in 500 Days'
Internet Will Soon Run Out of Addresses
Internet running out of IPs in 62 days
The End of the Internet is Here !

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This story is filled with technical inaccuracies. I really does appear to have been written by non-technical people on a technical subject. The problems I have with this story:

1) IPv6 does not add 2 digits to IPv4. (2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334 compared to 127.0.0.1)
2) IPv6 fully supports IPv4, as every IPv4 address is included in IPv6.

"At best, their user experience will be clunky, and slow."

Completely made up. User experience will remain exactly the same. In fact, most won't even know they were changed over.

“There will come a point where your iPhone doesn’t get the web anymore, or you will see a lot of blank pages. It’s a genuine problem.”

Won't happen. Did the writen even understand what DNS was? What NAT does? What he is describing isn't even related to the problem at hand.

I am posting this here, as it is a different article than the other posts I found using search - and shows how much misinformation is being presented as fact to the public at hand.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yea this is bull, not gonna happen

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Old news and simply wrong, been discused many time here before, a recient thread was here

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ruffagii

In the contrary It is! However itll require a switch over to some sort of new system, I read somewhere.

I dont think its I.P adresses that has run out so much as Domains in general

But a simple switch-over to an allready existing system (named something like "IPV6") will sort everything out

edit on 26/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

edit on 26/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Yep, a non-issue.

I was taking a class on Cisco routers maybe 4 years ago, and they were already trying to decide what would be the easiest solution to this problem (running out of IP addresses). They already knew there were solutions, they were just trying to make things go over as smoothly as possible.

At the time they were so excited about the number of new IPs that would be opened up, they were already talking about giving each car its own IP address and GPS chip at the manufacturer, and IP'ing all kinds of other things that I frankly find much, much more frightening.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I've been a web designer and computer programmer for 20 years and have following the IPV6 switch over for years, its been around a while and that article is the biggest lot of BS I have ever read!

Seriously I struggled to find 1 point in it that was accurate, IPV4 doesn't have 4 digits?!? 192.168.2.1 for example... duh, in most cases a firmware update would allow devices to take advantage of IPV6 its just a case of making everything compatible with both...

Dont worry nothing will change from your point of view everything will still be the same.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about this that much.
What you will probably see is a tightening in the distrubution of ip addresses.
Also too some companies may be asked to give up ip addresses.
With the proper equipment one ip address can route alot of user requests.

this is not an issue.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Why are they running with this story then if it's so obviously wrong? Surely they'll know people who know about this all over the world will be calling them out on it? Maybe there's some type of agenda to this being reported?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hitoshura
Why are they running with this story then if it's so obviously wrong? Surely they'll know people who know about this all over the world will be calling them out on it? Maybe there's some type of agenda to this being reported?

They dont that its wrong because they are non tech people writing the story, once its pointed out to them they will probably change it or remove it.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Running out of IP addresses is a mathematical impossibility simply because of infinity. It might just take longer to process, but they will not end. All they will do is add .000 to the end and an instant 998 trillion IP addresses are born.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Dont believe it will ever happen...there is always the next number-sequence etc...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Ok, cheers.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

No because of the addressing scheme involved with packet headers and limited space, ipv CAN and WILL run out very very shortly. It;s no big deal, ipv6 is essentially infinite and once everyone is onboard problem solved.

Stop hyping up y2k style garbage

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I've seen many stupid threads with a big headline on here, but I got to say, this is one of the most ridiculous I have ever seen!
edit on 26/1/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
IPV6 will expand the range of IP addresses to 2^128 (approx. 3.4 * 10^38), enough to give every sentient being, livestock, machinery etc. it's own IP. Why pay an ISP for a dynamic address anymore? Just sign up to get your own static IP. Attractive on the surface, no?

Get your implant ID chip with it's own tracking number (IP), use it as an ID to get online, instant tracking of anyone and anything.
Talk about RealID on the internet has been surfacing, seemingly preparing the masses....

Interesting posthumous interview with William Pawelec, an ex-military Gov. contractor, computer and security expert with early info. on tracking chips. Shady requestors wanted and obtained info. on chips with unique IDs in the billions.
edit on 26-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: spelling

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Actually, under the IPv4, we are running out of IP addresses that can be used. Now, before people run out in the streets yelling life is coming to end with out your pc, It should be known that IPv6, which is the newest version of the internet protocol, uses a 128-bit address, instead of the IPv4's 32 bit. Also, IPv6, handles routing and various other things differently that IPv4 could not ascertain.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The sky is falling! the sky is falling!
Does this whole internet IP running out thing sound
chicken little?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by phishybongwaters

That is my point. There can never ever mathematically be an ending number of any given IP addresses. Just because this current version being based on 32 bit is running out there is always the next set. Next after this will be 256 bit and so on and so forth. It is never ending.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join