It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMP device would end car chases for police

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TexasConspiracyNut

Are u a dime bar or wot wen was the last time u saw a cop pit a car in traffic u fool vey always do it on a open bit of road u fool

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Don't be fooled by this technology...

If something like "The Italian Job" (3 minis), was tackled this way the results would be NONE.

Not all cars rely on a computer to control the Engine Management System. Older style cars with traditional "points & distributor" would be unaffected!

A serious criminal would plan for this.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This type of device sounds more like a martial law weapon. Something to use when there will be no issue of liablity. I was thinking about war applications too, seems like it would be most usefull in urban/suburban areas. Just my thoughts...

Vas

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
EMP devices would end police chasing you too. Im more for using it right back at em.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Unless the devices punctures the shell of the car (A-LA, Fast and Furious 2?), the EMP wouldn't effect most cars, since they form a Faraday cage, proved here

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I see one big problem with this EMP weapon.... it could potentially kill someone with a pacemaker, couldn't it? This could be a pretty severe problem....

[edit on 18-5-2008 by GrayFox]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
What a retarded idea. How about about connecting all new cars to a satellite network connected to police, if you get involved in a chase - just disable them remotely! We have a similar system in Australia used for newer Holdens, connected to I think, Holden. If your car gets stolen ring them up and they'll disable the car.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Or, even better, have the system report the location of the crooks and snap a couple of pictures of them, and upload them via a mobile phone secreted in the car's electronics. There's no need to let the crooks know they've been caught, which would allow the cops to track them down (via the on-board GPS reporting its location, or last-known location). If the car loses GPS signal entirely, then it can sound the alarm and disable itself, as it might be in a shipping container by now.

To get over any safety aspects of remotely shutting down a car, the answer is to simply slow the car down over a matter of a minute or two. The average driver will surely be able to see the car's slowing down, and would get it to the side of the road as quickly as possible. If the car could, say, feign running out of petrol or having a dodgy engine, then the crooks wouldn't even be suspicious of it.

Or, if we want to go the other route, put a few KGs of C4 in the back and blow it remotely :-P

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I want one of these systems installed in my neighborhood to stop speeders. I would like it to trigger when a radar unit picked up somebody driving 20 miles over the posted limit.

Why does everyone blame chases on the police? It it a persons birthright to flee from crimes they have committed?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join