It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why we should all have the right and the possesion of a firearms.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

I thought id come in here and find someone who is smart enough to Understand both sides of the argument, But no as previously agreed with the OP my Logic is not flawed but typical of someone who has a different outlook from the experiences i have Had and the Obstacles i have faced.

We are both right, However when it comes to Arguing the case, we are both wrong

edit on 26/1/11 by TedHodgson because: ellaborated

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
All animals have the ability to kill, However we have speech and speech is more powerfull than any cowardly weapon anyday

Tell that Ghandi.

While I appreciate where you are comming from, I can't help but seeing it as a bit of a naive idealism. Great in theory, but in practice, the firearm has been a cat out of the bag for almost 1000 years now. There are about 200 million privately owned guns in the US, not all of thse are owned by responsible and mature individuals. The only way to protect yourself, your family, and yes, your property against the very real and violent criminals who use them is to have one yourself. Believe it or not, there is a distinction between owning a fire arm and using it. If someone breaks into my house with a gun and intends to use it for violence, I can choose to be a deterent or a victim.
The other really basic concept is that I have the right to make that choice, period.
Private ownership, or bearing arms, frankly, is the the only check and balance left to the soverign people of this nation. The butchery and slaughter of regimes like the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, for example, would not have been possible with 200 million privately owned firearms.
Words only work when reciprocated or heard, there are people in this world who would shoot you down for no more than the change in your pocket. Weaponry is not evil, intentions are, and you have the right if not the natural law obligation to defend your own life.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

This is why I left California... I mean, Commiefornia.

There are 3 types of people in the world: 1) Sheep; 2) Wolf; and 3) Sheepdogs. If you wanna go further, you can call Wolf-In-Sheep's-Clothing as the 4th type. There's no need to explain the relationships between the types. What it comes down to is what type are you?

Its all about resources. Utopia only exists when everyone's needs and wants are fulfilled every day. Otherwise, there will always be someone who has something another doesn't. And that other person is willing to take it with force.

(sorry, I'd love to type in more. but duty calls.)
edit on 26-1-2011 by guppy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Rocky Black

Guns have no place in the world now and they will have no place in civilised society in the future

that is a completely asinine statement.

you obviously live in a fantasy world..

safe & secure to dream of butterflys & rainbows ...

while your country.. state.. city.. street.. and freedom to say such a thing..

is right this minute.. being protected by GUNS.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by reeferman

Guns dont protect us, Our forces do, thats an entirely different matter alltogether, Yet another person thinks they are right yet have not provided much of an argument as to why

At least some people here see what im getting at

Yet you perceive the world to be a creul place where everyone has the right to kill each other.

I know which "Fantasy" id rather live in

edit on 26/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Take a look back throughout the course of Human history, Dating all the way back to the cave man, Violence is par for the course, Even the Known Universe is created through Destruction, Violence/Destruction is the nature of all forms of life.

For every Yin, there must be a Yang.
From Violence comes peace
From Destruction comes rebirth
and we can not change this, it is simply the Nature of things

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black
State House News Service / January 26, 2011

In the aftermath of the Arizona shooting rampage, Senator John F. Kerry said yesterday that he was cosponsoring legislation that would ban the possession or sale of high-capacity magazines.

How about we lock the tool bags up that commit the crimes. you dolt.

N
Yeah, he's clearly a dolt for wanting to make magazine carrying an unneccessary amount of ammo illegal.

reply to post by Rocky Black

Guns are for people who arnt powerfull enough to use words to sort thier problems
That's an incredibly naive view on guns.
edit on 26-1-2011 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Every human alive has the right to defend themselves and their fellow man with arms.

Unfortunately, they have allowed most governments to deny them that right.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

If guns are the problem, why has the number of crimes reported as "violence against the person" gone up 300% since 1997? Check the Home Office criminal reports for 2009-2010. Why is domestic assault against women on the rise in England?

Why did the UN deem Scotland the most violent nation in "the developed world" in 2005? They have a violent assault rate more than 250% higher than the US.

If guns are the problem then why is crime dropping every where in the country except the north east US? You might not know, but they tend to have the most restrictive gun laws of the country. The exceptions being California and Chicago. Gun control hasn't worked too well for Chicago either. Last year they considerred bringing in the National Guard to help solve "the murder problem." Despite a ban on handguns in the city as of 2007 you were 360% more likely to be murdered in Chicago.

In New York City they praised Mayor Bloomberg for his atack on guns. They even saw a drop in shooting deaths in 2008. However the homicide rate went up overall. More than 80% of the drop in murder by gun was offset by a rise in deaths by knife. One women was hacked with a meat cleaver and stabbed fifteen times. The attacker was a man with a long history of mental illness. I guess we need to run a mental health records check on knife purchasers now.
NYC Source

The thing people hate to admit is that America has seen a falling crime rate for two decades. Yet, we have been steadily loosening our gun laws.

England banned handguns and confiscated over 162,000 in 1997. The crime rate 13 years later is higher than in 1997.

Remind me again how my guns are responsible for crime.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

SNIP First of all, I believe the most explanatory quote about guns was written by Robert A. Heinlein where he said "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Secondly, the purpose of the Second Amendment is to guarantee a free state. In other words, to ensure that the government will not take advantage of the people that is the government.

edit on 26-1-2011 by Crakeur because: removed childish personal attack

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

You do realize that your stats include gang warfare, self defense shootings, and criminals shot by cops. Those are not innocent people. Those are predators being denied the right to prey on innocent people. I believe that is the major disconnect. You see those that are willing to kill you out of malice as innocent people. They are not in any way shape or form innocent. There is a reason those incidents are not classed as murder in the FBIs Unified Criminal Report.

The number of people killed do to accidental discharge in your statistics is actually 776 per year. That is much lower than your claimed number.

What do you hope to accomplish by posting skewed numbers and then lying about them?
edit on 26-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Beevowiz

Im not a (Reported for breach of T&C) however my abilty to not use insults makes me right

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

No, i just read an Up to date statistics chart

Obviously your yet another Biased Gun-Wielder who unfortunately needs to Prove hes right in some way.

I have no time for this thread anymore, Ive provided ample proof that supports my claims that Everyone should have the right to firearms, However Nobody has provided me with any real evidence as to why im wrong in this fact, However me and OP have come to a satisfactory conclusion as to why we disagree, In the future Only responsible people will be armed with guns Rather Than EVERYONE, then there will be less unnescessery death.

However till everybody gets over their obvious issues this cant happen

“I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent."-Ghandi

-Unsubscribed-
edit on 26/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

So I call you on the very link that you posted and the only answer is that I am wrong. Then you claim to unsubscribe without addressing the up to date questions about England's crime.

You proved your point well.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Hi Ted fancy meeting you here. I am American and I agree with you. Guns just ramp up the violence. Didn't someone just say if not guns then shovels...exactly! Crooks will be crooks. I can outrun a shovel easier than a bullet. Hell, give us all shovels for all I care. It would take a lot more thought and harder to hide...lol. Pulling a trigger takes no thought, it is reactionary based on emotions real or not. The human element is the flaw not the gun.I agree. But are we all not human?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
You have provided ZERO PROOF only your opinion which is based on ignorance. Everything you stated was Opinion and have No facts to back it up. I call TROLL.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Darkice19 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Most people don't realize that guns are inanimate objects. Those who can't comprehend that logic, are the problem and need to be eradicated!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Wetpaint72

Try out running a shovel in a wheel chair or on crutches!! How about being confined to your house with no way to stop home invaders? Kinda " shoots" your opinion full of holes doesn't it?

Zindo

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The problem is, those whom oppose firearms, heard it from there family and friends, etc., because they were to uneducated to determine there own thoughts and beliefs on firearms. Fact will always remain, that those who oppose guns, will look to those who have them for protection.

And that my friends, is when the wolves leave the sheep to their deaths. Which is alright, thus eradicating a group of people who cant think for themselves, and have to have their hands held for everything....

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I suggest that we take the guns away from the criminals first, than the government criminals and than the average citizen. Obviously this scenario will never happen....so how do we eliminate guns???

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join