It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why we should all have the right and the possesion of a firearms.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
So basically you wish the two homeowners had weapons that the thugs could take and use on them? You do know most home invasions involving gun violence usually involve the guns of the home owners themselves, right?

Common sense. Use it.

Source or shut up.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by VI0811

I still live here?... if you read my posts you would see that. i was going to add in my original post on here, that if i lived in the US i would most definatly own a gun, im not anti gun. i just dont think it is right for the the uk.

From what I know, crime is just the same in the UK. People have guns and keep them hidden. Everyone Ive talked to from there has guns. 20 plus people daily.

edit on 27-1-2011 by VI0811 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

There are quite a few nice looking ones on amazon, i was checking some out yesterday, and slingshots. The really good ones(I think I am no crowssbow expert by any means) are at least a few hundred dollars, but they look sweeeeeeet
I am not sure about what stupid ass laws are on the books about shipping crossbows though. Hopefully they are not nearly as restricted as guns.
edit on Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:27:31 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by VI0811
Education and respect should be shown and given. Most of these young punks own guns illegally ..

yeah and what's worse today is they proudly display them ... legal or not.
this is one reason my choice to own, changed.

odd side note: of all the CCW holders with whom i associate, you'd never know when they are carrying unless they pulled it or told you ... the 'punks' who carry illegally, often do so in the open ... i often wonder, how is this even possible?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Most responsible citizens who own guns do so in complete anonymity. You would never know we had them unless you went hunting with us, were with us when we bought them, or were stupid enough to try to enter our houses when not invited. It's such a simple thing. A gun is a tool, much like a hammer. It has a specific purpose. If you are not a carpenter your hammer probably just sits around most of the time. So do guns. Until a nail needs pounding. The lesson here, don't be a nail, and you can live in Utopian bliss thinking that guns have already been eradicated from the face of the earth. You can act as if we are all one big happy family. I assure you that no responsible gun owner will pull out his .45 ACP and point it at you because he is bored or because it hasn't been out of the holster in a while. He will smile, wave, and may even hold the door for you.

But when the bad man comes, he may not be so nice. You can try to talk to him, and ask him nicely not to hurt you. I hope that works.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by VI0811

I think it would be worse if every one had access to them as easily as the US. I dont know anyone that owns an illegal firearm here. Everyone doesnt have guns and keeps them hidden, (as far as i know, i dont really know many shady people)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
So basically you wish the two homeowners had weapons that the thugs could take and use on them? You do know most home invasions involving gun violence usually involve the guns of the home owners themselves, right?

Common sense. Use it.

I am afraid I have never heard about that statistic. Could you please reference where you got that information?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

There are quite a few nice looking ones on amazon, i was checking some out yesterday, and slingshots. The really good ones(I think I am no crowssbow expert by any means) are at least a few hundred dollars, but they look sweeeeeeet
I am not sure about what stupid ass laws are on the books about shipping crossbows though. Hopefully they are not nearly as restricted as guns.

I've thought of slingshots as well. Some uninformed people may laugh, but I've seen some pretty deadly slingshots on the web. Thanks for reminding me.

I'll have to do my own research on crossbows I suppose. I'll look around.
Thanks.

edit on 1/27/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

dont get one of those ones with a weak plastic sight at the front. i had a 50lb one like this and it snapped off. virtually impossible for me to hit anything after.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by Honor93

well you can live in fear your whole life if you want. why are you trying to pick a fight with me anyways?

are you suggesting i made it up? if i had skype i would be happy to tell the whole thing over the phone
edit on 27-1-2011 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

who's picking a fight ? ... don't you understand the concept of conversation?

no, i'm not suggesting you made it up but i would strongly suggest your impression of being fearless is a bit extraordinary to say the least. perhaps too young to comprehend at the time but most certainly enveloped by fear ... unless you are not capable of such feelings.

i am simply asking for the truth not some load of bullcrap ... being shot at is something everyone fears or guns wouldn't have the impact they do, even when NOT fired.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

frightening at the time yes. not now. not many years after it happend. i was quite young then, and stupid.

getting shot is not something i fear. i dont live in a warzone, i haven't made myself any enemies. why would it frighten me? if i was scared of living here i would move.
edit on 27-1-2011 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

unfortunately, you are likely correct ... however, therein lies Factor X
and i sure do rely on that one, as often as possible.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

I've thought of slingshots as well. Some uninformed people may laugh, but I've seen some pretty deadly slingshots on the web. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks.

yes, slingshots are quite handy and equally deadly if i choose such.
unfortunately, they are illegal in this state. funny thing though, WalMart sells replacement rubbers for them ... not the slingshot itself but parts and ammo ... figure that?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

I'd appreciate it if you kept your spurious assumptions to yourself or are you "just another redneck from America?"

If as you say is true that all the gun crime is inner city between gangs then why do you need a gun unless you are affiliated with one of these gangs yourself?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Unfortunately 10 years ago an ex-girlfriend made false charges of domestic violence against me and now I'm prohibited from purchasing firearms of any sort. I suppose when the Global Zombie Cataclysm hits there will be plenty lying around for the taking. Meanwhile I'm going to look into high power crossbows. Just in case.

Any suggestions?

I would take up the art of knife throwing (think James Coburn's character in The Magnificent Seven). A good knife thrower can take down a shooter fr 10 yards before he can get off a shot but he has more than one (shot) and his volley will come at you a lot faster so you have to be accurate and throw hard to penetrate clothing. Throwing at targets is fun but I have never thrown at a human. Axe throwing is certainly deadlier (greater force altho generally less penetration) but you cant go around carrying an axe. For home defense get a good crossbow. I like the Jennings Devastator (it is more like a sideways mounted bow than a traditional crossbow with a bolt trough and therefore takes special (pse) nocks and uses the longest arrows (22" bolts). 150#s and I have heard of it taking deer at 90 yards and even going thru them at 40 yds. I shot at a target on a big round farm bale when I first got mine and it burrowed deep within it (shooting at the rolled, layered side not the ends).

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Thanks.

You can also consider black powder weapons.

They are considered non guns in the US, and I have seen some English people post on a gun message board about them.

They are a hoot to shoot, most are accurate and as deadly as almost any modern handgun or rifle.
They are slow to load, but practice cuts the time down.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by akalepos

The funny thing is that in some places you have to have a permit to buy a crossbow, but black powder guns are not regulated. A .44 caliber black powder pistol with 50 grains of powder is loud. It also makes a heck of a flash. However, they will end a fight.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

Rocky Black, I do know that you are a firm supporter of Mitt Romney.

Basic research on Mitt results in...

Ok to ban lethal weapons that threaten police. (Dec 2007)
Will support assault weapons bill and Brady Bill. (Aug 1994)
Mitt signed into law one of the toughest restrictions on assault weapons in the country.

It's no doubt that Mitt Romney will support the Bill to Ban High-Capacity Ammo Clips introduced by Rep. McCarthy considering any magazine able to hold more than 10 rounds will be a "threat to police".

Not calling you out, Just surprised you made a thread complaining about McCarthys bill yet support those who will undoubtedly support it and sign it into law.

edit on 27-1-2011 by The_Zomar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

You do know that the law you just stated is allready on the books. If you are addicted to or a regular user of illegal drugs it disqualifies you from buying a gun. It is actually on the NICS paper work you fill out when buying a gun. They do not drug test you. However if you have been sentenced to a rehab program by the courts it will disqualify you. You will be inelligble to purchase a gun untill you have finished the rehab program and it is removed from your record.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
reply to post by The_Zomar

You do know that the law you just stated is allready on the books. If you are addicted to or a regular user of illegal drugs it disqualifies you from buying a gun. It is actually on the NICS paper work you fill out when buying a gun. They do not drug test you. However if you have been sentenced to a rehab program by the courts it will disqualify you. You will be inelligble to purchase a gun untill you have finished the rehab program and it is removed from your record.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware it was already on the books. The information I was looking at is a bit old. When I purchased firearms they didn't drug test me (thats why I thought it was not passed) but your explanation cleared things up.

edit on 27-1-2011 by The_Zomar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join