It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien life deemed impossible by analysis of 500 planets!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Howard Smith, a senior astrophysicist at Harvard, made the claim that we are alone in the universe after an analysis of the 500 planets discovered so far showed all were hostile to life.
Dr Smith said the extreme conditions found so far on planets discovered outside out Solar System are likely to be the norm, and that the hospitable conditions on Earth could be unique.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I don't know if this is just poor work on the journalists part or if Mr Smith actually stands by it. I get the feeling he was more going down the route of 'it would be impossible to make any contact' rather than they just don't exist.
Needless to say I don't agree with that articles headline.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

What an Idiot. 500 of what? 500 x 10^9000 ? - And that's a Harvard research result of 2011? I call this hi-speed dumb down.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Nonsense, that guy has no idea what he is talking about.

The only reason they are hostile is that our crappy instruments aren't good enough yet to find small rocky planets in the habitable zone yet.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Ahh well.
I guess this can be locked.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

The 500 planets they looked act were inhospitable to our current definition of "life sustaining" yet we've already had to adjust that several times, microbes that live in extremely high temperatures and in extremely toxic environments.

As well, 500? seriously, you're gonna base your theory on less than a millionth of a billionth of a trillionth percent study?

Okay then, I'll grab 500 people on a street in downtown Detroit and test their skills at speaking Chinese. Since none of them can speak Chinese, I declare it impossible for anyone to speak Chinese.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
So if I were to go out into the desert and search a square inch of desert sand and did not find any forms of life, then I could say that the earth is not inhabited?

Ok Mr. Harvard, 500 down..........100 Billion to go. Your search has barely even begun Mr!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Actually you'd find plenty of microbial life in a desert on earth, usually right near the surface under rocks.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Ok, so they've analyzed 500 exoplanets, plus we know that they've done the same sorts of analysis on the planets in our own solar system, and they found that there had been at least simple life on Mars so far. That says they've proven that life has a probability higher than zero of evolving. If the probability is higher than zero, and the universe is truly infinite, than probability dictates that with an infinite number of planets out there, for all intents and purposes the probability of there being life on other planets is 1, i.e. a certainty.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
ha . . . well, I've probably picked up five hundred or so rocks in my life and not a single one was made of gold. Gold, therefore, does not exist!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Someone ought to tell this guy about the microbiotic life found on Mars over two years ago now. Ok so its not life we can swap stories with or obtain technology from but its still "life" and if it happened here and it happened on Mars you can bet it's happened elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I surveyed 500 trees. I seen no squirrels. Squirrels do not exist.

Top logic.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishybongwaters
reply to post by pazcat

Okay then, I'll grab 500 people on a street in downtown Detroit and test their skills at speaking Chinese. Since none of them can speak Chinese, I declare it impossible for anyone to speak Chinese.

Quote of the day, my friend. Quote of the day.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Did the writer of the article study this planet.........?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Duplicate thread. Link to original thread given in second post of this thread. Closing.

top topics

join