It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Astronaut Theory - Norse Mythology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Hi everyone, This thread is just for people who support the ancient astronaut theory, if you don't support it, go away i don't want to argue about whether the theory is true or not. I just not to know if theres any evidence to suggest that the Norse gods (Thor, Odin, Freyja etc) were actually extraterrestrials masquerading as gods.

Ive been researching this on the internet for quite a while now and have found next to nothing so if anyone has some evidence, post it, it would help enormously.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Well, if you have read the Sitchen books for example, the "Norse" gods had many similarities of the Greek gods. Making one to believe that they were all the same "being(s)" and not separate "gods/deities" all together that some folks think.

So perhaps these fantastic beings were extraterrestrial. They had extraordinary technology that ancient man could have mistaken for extraordinary powers.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienGrey

Hi, thanks for replying, ive heard this same claim before, but i haven't found much to prove it other than the fact that both odin are zeus are sky gods, can you give me some more examples that prove that the norse gods and the greek gods are one and the same?

EDIT: btw what is the name of the Sitchen book that covers this?
edit on 26-1-2011 by orrite?? because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I'll refrain from comment on the AA Blind Guess (oops!) but yes, Odin was an alien, as was Loki. Alien to the pantheon at hand, at least; they're both transplants from further East, possibly from the Sami peoples. It's one of the two divisions of the Norse pantheon, the primary being the Aesir / Vanir division, with the Aesir being the more recent "immigrants."

Take it as you will

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by orrite??
reply to post by AlienGrey

Hi, thanks for replying, ive heard this same claim before, but i haven't found much to prove it other than the fact that both odin are zeus are sky gods, can you give me some more examples that prove that the norse gods and the greek gods are one and the same?

EDIT: btw what is the name of the Sitchen book that covers this?
edit on 26-1-2011 by orrite?? because: (no reason given)

12th Planet. Its book 1 of the Earth Chronicle series (7 books total) - I recommend them.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I personally think all the ancient Gods were ETs mistaken by primitive man for supernatural beings, because of the technology they and intellect they must have possessed. It would have looked like magic. If you could travel in time back to just a 1000 years and showed one of the locals your MP3 player, you would be burned at the stake for witchcraft.

'In the nameth of all that is holy, this demon has an orchestra trapped with a devilish curse in a tiny box, he is witch burn him' etc etc :-)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I agree with the ancient astronaut theory.

As far as how it relates to Norse Mythology, I believe that astronauts came back in the day and decided (for whatever reason) to help out.

9 out of the 10 things we take for granted everyday would enable any of us to be worshiped back 1000+ years ago. Think about the praise and wonder you would receive if you gave them a disposable lighter

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
im half way in the first book and stichin points out that both the greeks there are 12 gods and the norse gods there are 12 gods thats one and another one is there both bulls eg power for zeus its a long read but its worth it i cant realy explaine it with a hangover lol

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by orrite??

All indo-european people have a common ancestry that goes far back into antiquity. The Norse, Celtic, Greek, Roman and even the Indian gods share certain common mythological traits. If ancient astronauts visited they must have visited before the various mythologies forked into different indo-european sub cultures. So you need to investigate the commonalities that exist between the various religious ideas shared between the later indo-european religions.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
i find some interesting parallels between
norse ragnarok and biblical revelation. i have a write up about it somewhere on ats. and since ragnarok appears in the context of the abyss/bottomless pit of revelation, it by default, appears in context of the sumerian abzu.

edit on 26-1-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
is there any similarity with any gods (or something god like) from any other texts around the world other that just norde and greek maybe there is some more ... might be worth thinking about to give you something else to research

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The Germanic/Nordic gods evolved from the Assyrian/Babylonian...ie Summerian gods. Odin/Wotan can be traced back to the horse and chariot god of ancient Summeria/Babylon...can't remember his name now...lol. Like Odin...he threw lightening and thunder.

Z Sitchen goes into all of these ties and their various evolutions into the gods of Greece, Rome, and N.Europe.

Funny how he has now evolved into a little man in a red suit with eight tiny reindeer....lol.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by birdyat101

There were more than 12 Norse gods. There were 12 primary male gods and 16 female gods listed in the Sagas. For some reason Odin and Loki are not on the list of them, but including them it makes 14 males.

The 12 males were not the same as the 12 Olympians.

The two pantheons: (at least the 12)

1. Thor 1. Zeus
2. Balder 2. Hera
3. Njord 3. Poseidon
4. Freyr 4. Dionysus
5. Tyr 5. Apollo
6. Bragi 6. Artemis
7. Heimdall 7. Hermes
8. Hoder 8. Athena
9. Vidar 9. Ares
10. Vali 10. Aphrodite
11. Ullr 11. Hephaestus
12. Forsetti 12. Demeter

Of the two groups, you could match Zeus with Thor, Bragi and Balder share traits with Apollo, Njord with Poseidon, and Tyr sort of with Ares.

Freyr, doesn't really match anyone but shares some traits with Pan. There is no one like Heimdall, Vali or Hoder in all of Greek myth. Vidar, Forsetti and Ullr don't correspond to any of the dodekatheon.

Also note at one time, pre Migration period, Tyr appears to have been the head of the Norse pantheon.

Of the females, Odin's wife Frigg somewhat correponds with Hera. Sjofn and Feyja somewhat corresponds with Aphrodite. Vor and Snotra has some matches with Athena.

Of the males not among the 12, Odin isn't really like any of the Greek gods and Loki, as a Trickster, shares some traits with Hermes.

To compare, the Sumerian pantheon, the Annuna or "Children of An", appear to number 50. The Canaanite Elohim number 70. Note: The Ebla Tablets, the oldest in the world, show the Annuna and Elohim worshipped along side one another.

Its highly unlikely they are or were ever "aliens". A number of these beings appear to be archetypes of the human unconscious and they appear all over the world in myth and reoccur in fiction.

Even the number 12 itself is an archetype. 12 months, 12 zodiac signs, and in theoretical physics, the cosmos may be shaped like a dodecahedron, which has 12 sides.
edit on 26/1/11 by MikeboydUS because: edit

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
From what I've seen or read, all gods appear to be the same thing (the word aswell practically in every religion or culture means "people from the skies" with some minor variations), an interpretation of something the early man could not understand, using the "understandable" resources at his disposal, so I wouldn't be surprised if something in The Bible is surprisingly similar to something in some native culture from somewhere in, I don't know, Asia, or something.
orrite??, you may want to see Zetgeist or the Ancient Aliens series, I totally recommend them.
Ancient Aliens is basically based on the astronaut theory, and while Zeitgeist talks about general conspiracy, it explains at first something about religions that is really interesting.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by orrite??

I've loved this theory since I heard about it. And the more I think about it, the more plausible it seems.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aprch

Read some Joseph Campbell. Gods are basically archetypal heroes, and tend to be structured around ideas and notions common to all people around the world - everyone has a fertility god, a war god, a death god, and a trickster god / hero (Loki, Prometheus, Maui, coyote, etc). it's because these are themes that everyone sees in the world around them, and that elicit a response from audience.

The next tier down are the "culture" gods that are unique to the outlook of that particular culture; every culture has a Hades, but not all of them have a Hecate. Everyone has a Thor, but Heimdall is unique, that sort of thing.

And then of course are the "heroes" which though they might have godlike characteristics,a are generally not gods; these dudes vary widely between assorted cultures; Perseus is only ever Perseus, no one else has one, unless directly borrowed from the Greeks.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

all right calm down as i said im only half way through lol

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Read some Joseph Campbell. Gods are basically archetypal heroes, and tend to be structured around ideas and notions common to all people around the world - everyone has a fertility god, a war god, a death god, and a trickster god / hero (Loki, Prometheus, Maui, coyote, etc). it's because these are themes that everyone sees in the world around them, and that elicit a response from audience.

This is only part of the truth. The gods are a composite of the above, astral lore (the heavens were the only unchanging thing and the planets seen as the movers and shakers) including precession, historical figures and more. Their myths were partly quasi-historical for sure.

Christianity describes its main God against a real historical backdrop, even though elements of the Jesus myth are solar/stellar (in fact partly Egyptian in origin).

It is possible that some of the myths and attributes of Gods are vague memories of Alien intervention, be it extradimensional OR extraterrestrial.
edit on 26/1/11 by Pimander because: typo

edit on 26/1/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: orrite??
Hi everyone, This thread is just for people who support the ancient astronaut theory, if you don't support it, go away i don't want to argue about whether the theory is true or not. I just not to know if theres any evidence to suggest that the Norse gods (Thor, Odin, Freyja etc) were actually extraterrestrials masquerading as gods.

Ive been researching this on the internet for quite a while now and have found next to nothing so if anyone has some evidence, post it, it would help enormously.

Cheers

I am Hero Man....Holy Descendant of Odin/Son of the Allfather, and Masonic Heir to the House of Hamilton....I may have the evidence you seek. I recently stumbled upon it myself after a mission to the Capital....shook me up quite a bit, and then I find this thread. It can't be a coincidence. Contact me: [email protected]

I know it may sound crazy, but I do have evidence; you'll be able to see it for yourself. It's kinda scary; scares me...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Thor is described as having pale skin with red hair and red beard. Numerous other gods from around the world are described as having these same traits.

new topics

top topics

join