It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloggers, watch out. Troll copyrighters out there to sue you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
A friend posted these links on facebook and it just appalled me deeply. Seems this rogue group buys out newspapers and such (if I read correctly) and then turns around and sues people, especially small bloggers etc., for linking back to pics or sites or articles and so on.

oneutah.org...

Righthaven is the name and they prey upon those who don't know much. They claim fair use is null and go for the max sue amount of 190k usd but settle for 2ooo to 5ooo dollars (USD). Just have a read through and wow. Just wow.

A few more articles on who they've bullied for money and so on. Seems they get shot down if people take it to court but they also make them sign forms of confidentiality too so the victims can't resue them. It's hideous. What do you all think?????? They're even stooping now to target COMMENTERS of said blogs, etc. DIRTY people. Sheesh. Trolls is right.

www.lasvegassun.com...

righthavenvictims.blogspot.com...

www.facebook.com...

www.techdirt.com...

edit to add one more site:
www.righthavenlawsuits.com...
edit on 25-1-2011 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2011 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This world and its greedy litigious ways... Next thing you know they will have these same trolls on the streets gettin ready to flip me when i'm humming a Metallica tune... I have nothing more to say...
edit on 25-1-2011 by BlastedCaddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

And sadly I agree with you. I had read in a past business class that technically any public place that sings Happy Birthday to customers etc can also be sued for using the song if they don't pay royalities or some stuff like that. So sadly, I can almost see that happening in the near future. Next thing you know, they'll be finding the way to monitor our thoughts and heaven forbid they use those against us.

We're soon going to turn into that City of robotic type humans in the book "A Wrinkle In Time". I can just see that happening - and that scares me.

... please don't sue me for writing the title.... >_>

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

A good example of why ATS is so strict about posting work written by others and such

The interwebz are a scary place these days

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yes it is.
Thanks for replying. ^_^

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Wow...human greed never ceases to surprise me. All the same attitude, but so damn vicious about it.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
They don't buy out anything, they are a group of lawyers that hire their services to newspapers, magazines, etc, just do a tiny bit of research right here on ATS, you will find all the information right here.

This is how stories get twisted and turned into something they are not, people jumping on bandwagons without any idea of where that wagon will take them.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Pappa_Bear

Okay, that makes more sense. Greedy bastards still (but with lawyers we expect it lol.)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
They are very wicked and the more I read up about them as there are TONS of articles, the more disgusted I get. Targeting small mom and pop sites, targeting commenters???? Where does it end for Pete's sake? I'm all for protecting things and copyrights and all but sheesh.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Pappa_Bear

Which is why I disclaimered by saying this: "Seems this rogue group buys out newspapers and such (if I read correctly) ...."

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
It seems somebody has to take the bait first and let them purchase copyright on your material.
Its a case of the greedy suckering in the greedy in many cases.
Other cases IDK, sometimes judges give awards for nonsensical damages, etc. where no one is injured.
Interesting story to say the least.
Copycats are always looking for an easy way to make a buck.
I smell a lawsuit coming on

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I fully agree. People are NOT going to stand for that. It's almost like this group is wanting to control the internet or something like that.
It scares me that people would actually stoop to do something like that! I can see if someone was putting up something and claiming to have written it or to have taken the picture; but disclaimers and links to the actual article/pic should suffice!

Ugh. People do anything for money. I dislike that group a LOT.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
From what I heard, those bastards actually sued ATS and ATS made a deal with them outside of court.

Hopefully I won't get banned for saying this...

new topics

top topics

join