It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11-year-old Pennsylvanian is youngest person in world to face life without parole

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by beanzomatic
After the fact he even attempted to cover up the act by attempting to implicate the victims ex-boyfriend. This is a very methodical mindset for an individual of any age and shows that there is a deep set problem in this persons thought process. This type of mentality in my opinion is not safe for society no matter how much psychiatric help is supplied.

No matter the seriousness of the act, 'I wasn't there. I didn't do it!' Is the natural auto-defence of any child. Parents spend years teaching their children to be truthful and punishing or disapproving of them for lying, which is of course complete hypocracy, given as that the adult world is rife with lies and liars who paint themselves righteous.

This child has been hamstrung. He has been given the option of admitting guilt and being tried and sentenced as a child or exercising his rights to a fair trial, albeit as an adult, that presumes innocence until proven guilty.

The boy's father seems the only real voice of reason in this case. At 11, nobody understands the full consequences of their actions. And it has been established that the human brain does not complete it's development until at least 23!

Also, the cynic in me believes that the psycho-babble brigade rarely get their hands on children who display such deviant behaviour and relish the thought of further study, perhaps publishing a tract of some sort that fully establishes their professional reputation as an expert in the field of childhood criminology or some such.
edit on 27/1/2011 by teapot because: edit

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53

Originally posted by PhantomLimb

Originally posted by rsronce9
i think 1. why were their guns out where he could reach them and get ahold of them.. and 2. he should be shot bc hes old enough to know what he did was wrong. its no different than if a 25 year old walked in a shot her. i personally dont think age matters on this bc he knew was he was doing

Only problem with that is that the part of the brain that helps with making right decisions isn't fully developed until the age of 25.

What's wrong with teenagers?

Here in the UK, you are criminally responsible from the age of 10, it's called having mens ray or Guilty Knowledge.

You can't arrest or charge somebody under the age of 10, only warn them and hope the Parents kick them up the backside.

I think 10 is too young but you have to draw the line somewhere and that is the Law here!

Think back to when you were 11. Remember the mentality you had? I do. I was focused on comic books and the like. I can't imagine that this kid really understood the ramifications of his actions.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Eesh...

This is a case that I really don't know what is the right thing to say or not to say, as it is controversial and disturbing on multiple levels.

So this 11 year old kid commits an unthinkable murder, of his dad's pregnant fiance.

Who knows what the heck is wrong with him, but obviously there was some short-circuiting of proper thought processes, to the Nth degree.

But the crux of the issue is this was an ELEVEN YEAR OLD CHILD.

Doesn't take away the horrible crime he commited, but I want to get other's takes here on whether sentencing such a young kid to life in prison is the right step, or should he be subject to some sort of reform and psychiatric program to see if whatever went wrong with him as a child can be figured out?

I don't know, I'm torn on this one due to his age.

The youngest kid on earth serving a life sentence?

Thoughts?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 25-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

An eleven year old knows that murder is wrong. If they don't then there is absolutely no hope for them at ALL.

Sorry, age doesn't enter into it. An unthinkable crime should receive the proper punishment, whether the criminal is an eleven year old child, or a mentally retarded person, or insane. Anything less is just unspeakable and letting a person out who has once committed such an act is an invitation for it to happen again.

At the age of perhaps five, a person should know for DAMNED SURE that you do not assault or kill other people. In this case, I could argue that the child's parent(s) and legal guardians should join him in incarceration, and that all involved should be sterilized.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by HattoriHanzou

I would say it is a damn good thing you are just somebody on a forum, and not in a position of power to put that insanity into effect

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

I would say it is a damn good thing you are just somebody on a forum, and not in a position of power to put that insanity into effect

Why, do you go around assaulting and killing people?

I'm just a guy in a forum, but I also have a license to carry a concealed handgun and there is an awful stiff penalty for assaulting me or another innocent person in my presence. Stiff enough that prison would be preferable.

On edit: Stiff, get it? STIFF? Hahaha, unintended punny there.
edit on 27-1-2011 by HattoriHanzou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Nah i don't assault or kill people unless they try to assault or kill me first. I been into martial arts since I was 5 so I have a lot more self control than most. I just think imprisoning retards and kids is insane lol.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Nah i don't assault or kill people unless they try to assault or kill me first. I been into martial arts since I was 5 so I have a lot more self control than most. I just think imprisoning retards and kids is insane lol.

So what's the alternative, let the kid go? Sternly tell him "hey, just don't do it again!"

There is no reasonable alternative than imprisonment, especially when the kid is insane enough to kill.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by HattoriHanzou

So what's the alternative, let the kid go? Sternly tell him "hey, just don't do it again!"

There is no reasonable alternative than imprisonment, especially when the kid is insane enough to kill.

Typically we shouldn't throw insane people in prison, that is what psychology facilities are for, no?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazz-14

Originally posted by LipanConjuring86
A child is an undeveloped biological entity; it is solely up to the parents (guardians) to nurture, provide, and identify any instabilities or deviant behavior in a child..period. If you bring them into this world, you are responsible as a parent to ultimately formulate that child's thought process until they exceed an acceptable age of awareness.

Well said.

Unfortunatly there are children out there at 13 years old having children and many other situations where parents are not going to be real parents, on drugs alcohol etc. There are so many strange and sad situations.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

There are a lot of people who have guns at home and take their small children hunting. they often teach them that killing is ..fun...sometimes at those young ages a kid would surely have a hard time dicerning the difference between blood and guts being spilled from an animal that to him or her was clearly a sweet beautiful creature before BAM! dada says YES!!! Got Him! I note a lot of the children commiting murder have this kind of parent who thing a 5 year old is ready to kill. My stepson cryed when his stepfather made him hunt and kill animals he loved but a couple years later he was laughing at the slaughter like good old stepdad!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Typically we shouldn't throw insane people in prison, that is what psychology facilities are for, no?

No. The purpose of prison is to punish wrongdoers, and segregate them from the population at large. If they need psychological help, then it should be given to them while they are incarcerated and serving the punishment for their crimes. Otherwise they will not really understand that what they have done is wrong.

If you are of the opinion that prison is primarily used to cure criminal behavior and not punish it, then I guess we are of very different opinions as to the purpose of prison.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

There are a lot of people who have guns at home and take their small children hunting. they often teach them that killing is ..fun...sometimes at those young ages a kid would surely have a hard time dicerning the difference between blood and guts being spilled from an animal that to him or her was clearly a sweet beautiful creature before BAM! dada says YES!!! Got Him! I note a lot of the children commiting murder have this kind of parent who thing a 5 year old is ready to kill. My stepson cryed when his stepfather made him hunt and kill animals he loved but a couple years later he was laughing at the slaughter like good old stepdad!

That's ridiculous and insane. I was raised around guns, and hunted from a young age, as did dozens of my friends and acquaintances. To imply that hunting an animal creates a bloodlust for human life is not just crazy, the facts are stacked against you.

People who are brought up in hunting households, who are taught a proper respect for weapons and life, are in fact far less frequent murderers than the inner city folk who are taught to fear the gun, and who then view it as an object of envy and lust. Just compare murder rates in cities where hunters are rare (such as LA or NYC) with rural areas where hunting is common.

Good for the kid's stepdad. Learning where your meat comes from, and having the balls to claim it yourself, is part of being a complete human. Hopefully he won't get too pussified by your bleeding heart.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MarineSniper12Kills

I said kill everyone.
No one is innocent.
The scum of the Earth, self righteous lieing bastard's.

Did you see having butt love with his dog, now that has meaning.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Unless this child has brain defect, even though he is a broken person, he should be redeemable. he has bad programing, from the adult's around him, his peers, TV.

If this child is not redeemable all is lost, all you self righteous bastard's can say what you want, and you all can go to Hell.

You fools's are afraid of a child, who the Hell mad this child, if he can not be brought home to the Truth no one can all is lost, all can go to Hell, that's what it seems everyone wants.

If your afraid of this little child, wait till you have The Devil look you dead in the Eyes.

Time to get with what's is real you sick Egotistical bastard's it's time to die, it's time to meet your maker and face your Judgement.

How dare you talk evil of this poor child that was made by society, maybe he will become the anti-christ, with all your blessings.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

man are you stupid.
I see you walk on water alot lately, who are you to Judge even a good turd, you fail.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I'm just a guy in a forum, but I also have a license to carry a concealed handgun and there is an awful stiff penalty for assaulting me or another innocent person in my presence. Stiff enough that prison would be preferable.

You can't shoot everyone that bitch slaps you, at least not in the US.

I have a friend who went to jail for disarming 2 guys with guns, then breaking their arms and legs, it seems he went above and beyond to call of action, even though they both pulled handguns on him. The Judge said once subdued he should have stopped, just like just because you get bitch slapped, don't mean you can shoot someone, plus they might be packin. That happened to me once, a guy was braging how he was going to shoot me to this other dude, only thing was his gun was in his belt, mine was already out with the hammer pulled back.
edit on 27-1-2011 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Sorry, age doesn't enter into it. An unthinkable crime should receive the proper punishment, whether the criminal is an eleven year old child, or a mentally retarded person, or insane.

Punishing children and insane people for their crimes is definately wrong. Do you understand that what they did was not their fault, because they do not have mental capacity to understand it? You cannot punish someone who is not responsible for what he does, and children and insane people are not.

We can talk about the exact age when the child is criminaly responsible, but age definately is important, as is mental health of a killer.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
This whole story and stories like it make me profoundly sad. No one wins in this situation. The way that this child is dealt with will determine what kind of person he is in the future. Will he regret the decisions he made now as an adult? None of us are able to say for certain. I hope the kid gets the help he needs.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex

man are you stupid.
I see you walk on water alot lately, who are you to Judge even a good turd, you fail.

Well, it's pretty clear that you don't have any actual points to make. All you really have is insults that even an elementary schoolchild should be ashamed of.

I hope your mom's proud of you.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex

You can't shoot everyone that bitch slaps you, at least not in the US.

I have a friend who went to jail for disarming 2 guys with guns, then breaking their arms and legs, it seems he went above and beyond to call of action, even though they both pulled handguns on him. The Judge said once subdued he should have stopped, just like just because you get bitch slapped, don't mean you can shoot someone, plus they might be packin. That happened to me once, a guy was braging how he was going to shoot me to this other dude, only thing was his gun was in his belt, mine was already out with the hammer pulled back.
edit on 27-1-2011 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

Of course I can shoot somebody who "bitch slaps" me. In fact, in most states, I don't even have to wait for them to attack me - I can shoot them if I feel that they are about to assault me. If I have "reasonable fear of bodily harm or loss of life" I can shoot. I doubt I'd wait until a person actually attacked me. Of course, one can not escalate a fight and then shoot somebody, but that #'s for losers and kids anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join