It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11-year-old Pennsylvanian is youngest person in world to face life without parole

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Here's how it went after i thought about it, hes 11....kid "can i go outside and play with ben?" no stay inside clean ur room.....ahhhh i hate you dad would let me....kid goes into his dads closet gets his rifle and decides to play grand theft auto in person...yeah he should defiantly get life and get his ass beat for the rest of his natural life

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
11 years old or not. I say prison isn't enough of a punishment. And I'm not joking.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

If you go back and re-read my reply, you will see that I never said kill everyone. I said eliminating the eleven year old boy who murdered the innocent woman and baby would guarantee that HE would never kill another innocent person again. Facts are facts. If he gets out, it gives him an opportunity to kill again after he has already done it twice. If he is incarcerated it gives him yet another opportunity to kill. Solve the problem? Eliminate him. He can never kill again.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MarineSniper12Kills

Right on!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a kid, to life, lock up the dad, he has failed with the upbringing of this child, then lock up the rest of society for failing to see the warning signs.
i mean how do we decide hwo is to blame.
its a sick world we live in

peace

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Yea I knew right from wrong when I was a kid, but why didn't the aldults, why were people trying to get over on the sly. If they won't steal your money, they might steal your girl friend wife, baby, or maybe your own fellings of self worth, just so they know their better than you.

By the time I was 15 I wanted to be a Hell's Angel, I saw the crooked cops, Judges, Adult's, non of them were walking on water, they were all liers and cheats, give the Devil his due.

Their are the good one's the bad out number the real good 10 T0 1.

The Gnashing of Teeth as the Judgement day comes, who will stand.

You do have a good point. If adults can go through life doing the wrong thing, how can we expect an 11 year old to always do the right thing? We can't, but we hope for the best. Human beings are very complicated creatures.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by rsronce9
i think 1. why were their guns out where he could reach them and get ahold of them.. and 2. he should be shot bc hes old enough to know what he did was wrong. its no different than if a 25 year old walked in a shot her. i personally dont think age matters on this bc he knew was he was doing

Maybe he did know what he was doing. You obviously don't understand human psychology. A normal human being is not able to commit a violent murder such as this without good reason. The only way a person can commit murder is either A) by accident, B) after having suffered serious psychological trauma, C) being trained to kill [soldiers, assassins, police, etc.], or D) having something severely wrong mentally. Okay so apparently, it wasn't by accident, so that rules out A. I don't know if he was suffering serious psychological trauma, so B is still on the table. Obviously, he wasn't a trained killer, so C is out. So either he was suffering serious psychological trauma, or he has something severely wrong with him mentally. So we are left with the fact that this kid needs HELP.

Who disagrees with me?

Edit: I forgot to add, that a person can also kill (although not technically murder) when an overcoming sense of self preservation (self defense) or the protection of a loved one (a child, friend or spouse). That also was not the case.
edit on 1/27/2011 by OrphenFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
What?! O.J. Simpson is walking free and the little boy is locked up for life?
Where is justice in this world

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
double murder

of an even younger child

not much to be said for him

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I don't know about US but in some countries his parent(s) would face trial and prison, child would be put in some institution and on therapies. In EU there are no life sentences anyway, child or not.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
America,

Please look after your children.

This is a traumatised child we are talking about.

He was angry because his dad left him and he felt unloved and betrayed - and where was mum in all this?

He could not have foreseen the consequences.

This is a damaged child we are talking about.

America, come to your senses and nurture this poor child.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Has anyone considered the purpose of "punishment?" Is a punishment a sort of "revenge" issued by the state for some one's crimes? Or is it a means of rehabilitation?

In my mind, Prison should serve one of two things:

1) Rehabilitation: An offender is put in prison so that he is no longer a threat to society. During this time, he is able to re evaluate his decisions, and hopefully the hellish environment of prison will give him incentive NOT to repeat his actions in the future. Eventually, the person is released back into the world -- hopefully, this time, he sees the bigger picture.

2) Containment of REAL threats: If someone is beyond the point of rehabilitation, or his crimes are so severe that letting him back into society would be detrimental, a person is put in prison FOR LIFE. The criminal is so out of control that the only place he can exist without hurting innocent people is prison.

I don't see how depriving an 11-year-old child a future is going to right any wrongs. Of course what he did was terrible, but honestly, when an 11-year-old commits MURDER, there's always a slight possibility of rehabilitation.

How is locking up a kid FOR LIFE going to bring back the father's wife? Stop thinking with emotions and start thinking with LOGIC - Obviously, the kid should be removed from society until he is deemed fit to reenter - but at 11-years-old, a fair amount of hard time and extensive psychoanalysis should be considered before handing out a godd@mn LIFE SENTENCE...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarineSniper12Kills
reply to post by googolplex

If you go back and re-read my reply, you will see that I never said kill everyone. I said eliminating the eleven year old boy who murdered the innocent woman and baby would guarantee that HE would never kill another innocent person again. Facts are facts. If he gets out, it gives him an opportunity to kill again after he has already done it twice. If he is incarcerated it gives him yet another opportunity to kill. Solve the problem? Eliminate him. He can never kill again.

Cold, calculated reasoning is a slippery slope, for sure.

"Oh, he gypped the IRS out of $100,000? Remove him from society so he is no longer a drain on the Gov't budget. The only way to ensure he no longer withholds taxes is to eliminate him."

"In spite of attempting any more of psychotherapy/rehabilitation, we feel the only way to 100% ensure this man never commits [insert wrong doing] is to have him "liquidated." Reduces annual budget losses twofold and is - logically, of course - the most viable option."

Those examples may seem a bit extreme, but the point is we're dealing with something that deserves more thought than just "KILL!! I MAKE PROBLEM GO AWAY LOL.."

To assume that the kid would:

1) Try to escape.
2) Try to escape prison with the sole purpose of continuing his killing spree..

...is purely baseless speculation. You don't know the current mental state of that 11-year-old. Nor do you know for sure he is beyond help.

C'mon people, this case can't be looked at so 2-dimensionally/"black&white"
edit on 27-1-2011 by Disillusioned_Youth because: Needed additional ranting

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
He was angry because his dad left him and he felt unloved and betrayed - and where was mum in all this?

Millions of kids go through that. They don't shoot people in cold blood. He's a bad seed.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
What does this child's mother have to say? I am making the assumption that the woman killed was not his mom.

Could this have been a case where mom was upset that dad was moving on and maybe made some comments to the boy? At 11, children are very impressionable!

This is from personal experience that I say this. I was engaged to a man that had 2 children from a previous marriage. His daughter's mother told her to "harm" us. When his then 8 year old daughter tried to stab my daughter with a large kitchen knife, she was committed and admitted the whole thing. She also told the hospital staff that mom gave explicit instructions for her brother to "poison" me. Of course, the system just brushed it all off.

The laws are interesting in PA to say the least. It is all about who you know here! I would be curious to find if Children and Youth had interactions with this family and what actions were taken.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Well, if he shot and killed someone close to me I'd want him to burn in hell, so I have no sympathy for him. I think he deserves the life sentence. This kid isn't a baby, he should know right from wrong.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
hmm so his "refusal to admit guilt" means the rest of his with no parole..guess that's the penalty for believing innocent until proven guilty, or even entering a plea. Guess we can now dispense with trials altogether!

IMO, reduce the sentence, get the kid some therapy and maybe, oh , find out WHY this happened?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

He's 11.

Exactly. He is eleven. If his frontal lobes - the inhibitors of socially improper behavior - are messed up this bad even at such a young age, there's no telling what this person would do later in life, but I doubt much good would come from his direction. (Statistics show I am, unfortunately, right about this.)

He needs psychiatric help, and he needs it badly.
But under no circumstances should he avoid the punishment for taking another person's life.
Like another poster said, if he committed an adult crime, let him have an adult punishment.

P.S. People often seem to be under the impression that children are somehow a race unto their own.
They are not. Some are born good, others not so good. Nobody knows why this is so, but it is so.
"Nurture" only goes so far.

edit on 27-1-2011 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Kids as young as 7-8 KNOW the difference between right and wrong, discussing knowingly taking a another human life should be started at a young age at school, maybe if the kids start appreciating the ins and outs of humanity then maybe , just maybe the civilisation we live in might start to heal itself once the kids start thinking about the ramifications of killing.another human being.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
double post --- sorry
edit on 1/27/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join