It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11-year-old Pennsylvanian is youngest person in world to face life without parole

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by boondock-saint

Shoe shine mister, please shoe shine for you
cheap cheap

BOOM !!!!

I have to agree.
If this was a little 11 year old Muslim (Vietnamese, Chinese) boy people would be ready to hang him.
Sad thing this all the way around.

peace

Thats just stupid.

Really... Really stupid..

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

[SNIP]Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

Like the whole of this thread... it is about american double standards it seems... This child is not competent to act in the capacity of an adult... If it is possible then all american children should be tested on this competency and see if they pass....

You have to rewrite everything... It is a massive double standard... If the kids can be treated like an adult they can demand the rights of an adult....
edit on Wed Jan 26 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

A grown adult with the mental age of al 11 year old who commits an 'adult' crime would be, HERE WITH YOU LOT, punished with the prescribed sentence and nary a one of you would care.

No, he would not. Such an adult would be classified as mentally retarded, and would not be legally fully responsible for his actions.
edit on 26/1/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 26/1/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
A grown adult with the mental age of al 11 year old who commits an 'adult' crime would be, HERE WITH YOU LOT, punished with the prescribed sentence and nary a one of you would care.

It's not his mental age being considered it's his physical age.

How many child-like adults have been sentenced to death?

Are they any more capable of knowing any better than this kid?

Perhaps you should stop seeing the child and see the crime.

Sometimes, a kid can be a ruthless killer, and that is a fact. Especially in this day and age.

Do I agree with this? No. But the hypocrisy is sickening...

Where's the hypocrisy? The fact that this is a child is going to induce more of a knee-jerk reaction than if it was an adult, but since Ive been a member here Ive seen at least two threads addressing instances where adults with learning difficulties have been handed unduly harsh sentences.

I agree that sometimes a child may just be a killer and cant be helped, but there's a higher chance of a child being able to be rehabilitated and whatever problems they may have to be fixed.. this isnt generally going to be the case for someone with learning difficulties who is stuck at a particular developmental age.

In fact, Ive just done a quick search and this is one from a while back, 13 pages long.
edit on 26/Jan/2011 by Bluebelle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Well I say he should do time anyways, maybe not life, but a good 25 years or more. We all know he won't get life anyway, even if he did as long as he spends a good amount of time in prison and becomes more mature he will just want to start a life and they will eventually cut him loose. He knew what he was doing. I did when I was 11.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FPB214

Prison is a stupid idea if you ask me. It is like college for criminals. You get treated like an animal, and people wonder why people go in for some stupid crime like drug possession, then come out and are graduated to real crimes. You get treated like an animal, especially after you are let out of the cage, and cannot find decent work now because backround checks are somehow allowed.... Yeah you figure, people want to treat me like an animal, then I might as well live by the law of the jungle. The kid should be institutionalized, and let them decide if and when he is no longer a danger to everone else and himself.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I cannot understand the twisted mind of anyone who would advocate sentencing an eleven year
old to life in prison without possibility of parole.

People with that mindset are more dangerous than the eleven year old as far as I am concerned.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I question the fact that perhaps he was abused, also how did an 11 year old get a gun?

Apparently he got it for christmas.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazz-14

I thought it was for his birthday.... could be wrong though...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Right...

If this was the first kid to commit a nefarious crime, I'd say: "This is just a crazy American kid."

Unfortunately, I must say: "Kid, this is just crazy America."

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rsronce9
i think 1. why were their guns out where he could reach them and get ahold of them.. and 2. he should be shot bc hes old enough to know what he did was wrong. its no different than if a 25 year old walked in a shot her. i personally dont think age matters on this bc he knew was he was doing

Only problem with that is that the part of the brain that helps with making right decisions isn't fully developed until the age of 25.

What's wrong with teenagers?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It wont happen. You cant sentence a child to life in prison. He's a child, regardless of what he's done. Prison solves nothing for the majority of adult offenders, what would it change in a human being thats still growing mentally and physically.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Portugoal

well america isnt perfect even though everyone in the general public seems to think so.. but i think rapists shoudl b shot as well but thats beside the point. i guess its a win/lose argument.

Who do you propose should do all this shooting? You? Gonna cast the first stone are you?

You should really think about what you are going to type before you do. Because, if you really did, you would realize the absurdity of shooting someone for committing violence against someone else.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I honestly believe there may be more to this story than is told. What was the motive that put the kid over the edge?? Was it revenge, jealousy, envy, strife Etc........ Point is the kid killed, how is he any different than a soldier in vietnam killing whole villages? the soldiers got medals....? Put that kid in some ACU's and put him to work!!!! he can pay back society by working it off until he gets tired of killin!! Sorry guys but I have trouble figuring out the difference between soldiers and serial killers because no matter how you slice it its still murder, kid or not, its still murder but with an air of "Patriotism"( whatever that really is) I love my country and an eye for an eye but to go on a pre emptive is ubsurd. Like i said put him in the infantry and he'll get it out of his system

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhantomLimb

i think 1. why were their guns out where he could reach them and get ahold of them.. and 2. he should be shot bc hes old enough to know what he did was wrong. its no different than if a 25 year old walked in a shot her. i personally dont think age matters on this bc he knew was he was doing

Only problem with that is that the part of the brain that helps with making right decisions isn't fully developed until the age of 25.

What's wrong with teenagers?

Here in the UK, you are criminally responsible from the age of 10, it's called having mens ray or Guilty Knowledge.

You can't arrest or charge somebody under the age of 10, only warn them and hope the Parents kick them up the backside.

I think 10 is too young but you have to draw the line somewhere and that is the Law here!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The eleven year old is a convicted double murderer, his victims are dead at his hands and will remain dead, while he continues to live. The family of the victims suffer from the consequences of his actions for the rest of their lives.

If he is guilty enough to get a life sentence than he is guilty enough to get the death sentence. JUSTICE is supposed to be blind, why should this person get preferential treatment because of his age? He was not arrested and charged for being eleven years old, he was charged with killing two people whose only crime was that the murderer's father loved them too.

Do you have any idea how much it will cost to keep this convicted killer safe and secure until he dies of old age? Try in the neighborhood of three million dollars.

Why would anyone possibly want to endanger the lives of their families and friends by giving this killer another chance to kill again? A social conscience also has a responsibility to protect the innocent who DO abide by our laws.

I also believe that being retarded isa not a "escape the death penalty" card. Killers should not be given the chance to kill again. It should be, one strike and you're out because that is all we get, our one chance to live.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

it's disturbing reading that you two have no problem comparing a 25 yr old adult to an 11 yr old child. a child does not have the level of maturity, the education, experience or sophistication to begin to think or behave like a 25 yr old. there are vast differences between the two; large enough that most people would not make such a deduction.

firearms not being safely and correctly stored alone indicates absence of responsibility by the owner. makes me wonder what other important things went overlooked in that household.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LipanConjuring86
A child is an undeveloped biological entity; it is solely up to the parents (guardians) to nurture, provide, and identify any instabilities or deviant behavior in a child..period. If you bring them into this world, you are responsible as a parent to ultimately formulate that child's thought process until they exceed an acceptable age of awareness.

Not possible.

If you try to 'formulate that child's thought processes' in the USA you WILL be arrested for cruelty to a child.

You CAN'T WIN as a parent in the USA.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join