It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wounded Platoon - Whats Happening to Soldiers...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I caught this on PBS and was truly sickened but what's going on and how they are exploiting our soldiers. They are prescribing anti-depressants to these guys and sending them back into combat when they have been diagnosed with PTSD.

It makes me sick when I see recruiting commercials about how patriotic it is to join the military. Watch this all the way through, you will be shocked and amazed. Several of these guys considered heroes in Iraq and decorated came home and wound up in prison. Of course it did not help that some of them had criminal records already. Still what they have gone through is tragic.

I am sure not every soldier that goes through this has all the problems this platoon did however the point is they are all going through it and no one is completely immune to PTSD.

At one point in the documentary they say they have 20,000 troops in the field on anti-depressants and sleeping pills known to cause suicidal tendencies... It is insanity. Suicide rates are way up and climbing. even the guys that went for help did not get any... it is shameful!

These particular guys they focus on went completely over the edge however how many untold similar stories are there even if it is to a lessor degree then these guys...

If your kid is thinking of joining the military and you can't dissuade him/her show them this video. I cant wait for the monetary system to collapse so we can bring all the troops home. This is disgraceful!

Play list: www.youtube.com...

edit on 25-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
My dad is in the Army and has been for the last 20+ years. He went to West Point and was in Panama, Desert Storm, Somalia, Bosnia/Kosovo, O:EF and O:IF seeing combat in all of them an got wounded in Iraq when a RPG hit his truck and broke a couple of ribs and the Iraqi resistance member he was riding with was killed and doesn't seem to have any PTSD problems. On the other hand cousin who served one tour in Afghanistan does. I'd say it has more to do with the type of person you are and how much stress you can handle.
edit on 25-1-2011 by brianjordan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I think your missing the big picture. These guys have a job to do. A job that they belive in.these guys are living in a dust bowl and constantly losing there friends. that is for 6 to 8 months at a time!

In nam they did copious amounts of opium and pot. since there is no chance in hell of pulling that off in todays army antidepressents are the next logical step. in a world like that depression can be fatal. you need that edge.

im not justifing the war or our buisness there. but i support our boys till the end. Anything that gives them a better chance of coming back in one piece. Also the worst advice you could give parents is to forbid your kids from joining up. i could of started a "i joined cause my parents told me i couldnt" club on my ship

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I think a large part of it is they know deep down this is not a just war. But the crap they are subjected to and lack of support by the Military when they come home can send them over the edge. These guys are smoking pot and doing drugs in Iraq too, are you kidding me thinking you can't get drugs in Iraq?

Watch the video part about what kind of anti depressants they are giving them, I don't think it it gives them an edge, it helps them loose control. Also they are too long in the field and get PTSD, but in stead of giving them a break they are giving them anti- depressants and sending them back out. This is a recipe for disaster as the story depicts.

These guys were considered heroes in Iraq one of the most decorated platoons and known for there bad assery etc.
edit on 25-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I posted the majority of this in another thread, but its just as relevant here.

My dad was a Vietnam vet, I never understood when I was younger why he did not ever talk about it. I thought "Hell, if I was in a warzone like that I would be bragging to everyone I knew about it." I didnt understand until I got older why he never wanted to talk about it around anyone other than some of his old army buddies that would stop by from time to time over the years.

Its not something someone who has never been there can easily grasp. I was in the Army 8 years as a 19K, I was deployed to the former Yugoslavia and to eastern Afghanistan. No amount of mental or physical preparation can ever compare to having to shoot people and get shot at. I've never felt such intense fear in my life on those occasions when firefights happened.

I ETS got back home and was a raging alcoholic/drug abuser for about 3 years. I almost killed myself. I had survivors guilt bad because 3 of my good friends were lost over there. You don't know why they were taken and you were not. You keep thinking, Why the hell did better guys than me not come back and my sorry ass did? I don't know how my wife put up with me during this time. I finally heard god/yahweh/the universe whatever you want to call him tell me one night to either continue on this path and die, or find a way to stop being guilty. I went to the VA to maybe try and get some counseling. They acted like I was normal. There was nothing wrong with me. It was all in my head. (technically it was, but you know what I mean). They put me on anti-anxiety to sleep and anti-depressants to help with mood swings. I swear the meds made me more suicidal than the drinking did. I quit taking them and said to hell with the VA. Its hard as hell get monetary compensation outta them for PTSD because you can't physically prove it. So now, I just smoke some to help me sleep at night. I still get bad nightmares and night sweats. But I'm not killing myself with alcohol and drugs.

The dudes I work with now play Call of Duty like fanatics. They keep begging me to play online with them because they keep saying (and this is really funny/ignorant) that I should have the highest kill counts on the teams because I used to be in the Army. Like we were over there having thumb wars or something. I love video games, but I refuse to play it with em. Oh, and to all the people who are reading this who are not prior service........Never ask someone you meet that tells you they were in Iraq, afghanistan, Vietnam, Korea, or any war zone. Never ask right off the bat if they had to kill anyone. Or how many ragheads they had to kill. People are asses like that. If you think about it, its really a rude ass question and makes them feel uncomfortable

And you can definately do drugs on deployment. We used to buy hash and opium from the little afghan kids in matchboxes. It was terrible quality, but we did'nt care. Sometimes they would try to come around and "scare" everybody taking samples. But it was bull. The anti-depressants made me straight suicidal. I had always felt guilty about being alive when I came back but never acted on the suicidal tendencies till the damn VA put me on the meds.

The military is getting stretched to the breeaking point. Alot of these guys are being FORCED to stay past their ETS time and do 3,4,5 or more deployments.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boredomsux
I think your missing the big picture. These guys have a job to do. A job that they belive in.these guys are living in a dust bowl and constantly losing there friends. that is for 6 to 8 months at a time!

Hate to tell you bud, but most deployments last at least 12 months. Most of the time longer. And the soldiers know that the wars are bull. How can we not? When you're in the desert supposely to help the people and then you go and patrol the pipelines and poppy fields you see where their real interests lie. And the people don't want you there. They see us as occupiers, invaders. Thats part of what happens. There is no noble cause in any of this regardless of the media spin. You're away from your home, friends, family to go to a country that oes not want you with people that dont want you there. I cant speak for everyone, but realizing this made me crazy feeling the whole time I was there.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier78

Thanks for telling your story, Glad you made it back and are overcoming your demons so to speak. May God bless you and heal you. Know that you have a higher purpose and that you can move on from what you have been through.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

That sucks to hear bro. yeah my time in was navy so we launched TLAMS and pulled spec ops out of the water. never did any time in the dirt.

Im glad your found ways to cope. and 12+ months a hump! unreal!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Boredomsux

im not justifing the war or our buisness there. but i support our boys till the end.

I don't disagree and I support them in that I want to bring them home. They are being exploited. And I disagree that they believe in what they are doing. They are just trying to stay alive and look out for each other. They know the cause is bogus or at least most do.

The banksters and politicians that cause all these wars for thier selfish interests will have hell to pay one day, if not in this life in a future one.

edit on 26-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Thanks for telling your story, Glad you made it back and are overcoming your demons so to speak. May God bless you and heal you. Know that you have a higher purpose and that you can move on from what you have been through.

Thanks for the nice words. I'm not religous but I am a spiritual person. Sometimes praying is the best thing to do for someone.

new topics

top topics

join