It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHY Can't an American claim refugee status in any country?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Originally posted by Advantage
I dont honestly understand why anyone would want to leave the US rather than do their part in making things right..
Maybe I dont understand the reasoning but I just cant conceive of it. Ive been all over the world and I cant think of any place I would ever call home but here.. even with all of the problems.

You have no idea the fights I have had throughout this entire nation, you have no idea, now I am tired and I just want to rest...there's no freaking fight left in me, it's either I get out or the depression is going to kill me, it's going to be me and a pistol or a rope, I can't fight no more. There's no use. It won't get anything done anyway, I have learned this the hard way belive me! They have accomplished their goal many of us are hopeless especially in my age group!
edit on 25-1-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling & adding something

What if you find another country isnt a utopia and you are faced with the same issues? Im not real young either, but I cant give up. Ive actually spent time and lived in other countries.. its simply not the same as living here. Perhaps if you addressed he depression youd think deeper about the decision? Sounds like youre having a hell of a time, but your problems follow you regardless of where you go.. even to another country... unfortunately.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Maybe, maybe not...I don't know until I do. Everything is assumptions until you go and see what it's like, what might not be your cup o'tea, as they say, may be mine. Maybe you didn't like it but I know some people from abroad that love it. I have friends in Scotland, family on my spouse's side in France, family on both sides in Italy and they cringe when they visit here. But, you know everyone's opinion differs. I haven't been ble to find a job in over two years and get none of the benefits they extorted my money for, over 20 years they took those things from my pay but when we need it, piss on us. I don't know I think that things are just going to get worse and I am pretty good at assessing situations. Beleive me it's going to get really ugly here really soon. But this is only what I feel. Everybody has their own opinion. Unfortunately I never had the luxury of being able to go abroad because financially we can't if we sold our home we could, but then we'd have no where to come back to so.
edit on 25-1-2011 by ldyserenity because: space bar X-(

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Maybe, maybe not...I don't know until I do. Everything is assumptions until you go and see what it's like, what might not be your cup o'tea, as they say, may be mine. Maybe you didn't like it but I know some people from abroad that love it. I have friends in Scotland, family on my spouse's side in France, family on both sides in Italy and they cringe when they visit here. But, you know everyone's opinion differs. I haven't been ble to find a job in over two years and get none of the benefits they extorted my money for, over 20 years they took those things from my pay but when we need it, piss on us. I don't know I think that things are just going to get worse and I am pretty good at assessing situations. Beleive me it's going to get really ugly here really soon. But this is only what I feel. Everybody has their own opinion. Unfortunately I never had the luxury of being able to go abroad because financially we can't if we sold our home we could, but then we'd have no where to come back to so.
edit on 25-1-2011 by ldyserenity because: space bar X-(

I hear you.. its not going to get any easier here soon.. thats the truth

Well, I DO hope that you think very long and hard on that decision.. its a tough one. Just go into it with clear eyes.. and dont get too depressed.
Take care of that asap if you can because I think that your problems need to be clear for you to enjoy your life regardless of where you wind up living. The biggest thing Id hope for you is that you feel fulfilled in life and not victimized.. that goes for remaining an American citizen or making your home in Scotland.
I hope you also realize that you have a LOT of company in folks in the 40-60 age bracket who are now in dire straights because of this horrible economy and the changes that no one expected to happen. Making choices that are impacting us badly now is only due to us not being fortune tellers or just youthful screw ups! Its easy on NO ONE... much more so for our age bracket.

Also no pistols or ropes... U2U me if you get that depressed over the state of things. I can make lame jokes or just be an open minded ear.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I was being a bit over dramatic, I always am, it isn't depression really it's hopelessness, and it is because I have kids, I think it sucks for them. But, yeah I am a bit overdramatic sometimes...sometimes just to get a point across and sometimes just cause that's me. I really don't know what I will decide. I just wondered why we hold our hands out for all other countries even when our own suffer, but there are no countries that do the same for us. Basically. So in one respect you are right, who would wanna go there if they don't give us the same respect as we give them?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

I was being a bit over dramatic, I always am, it isn't depression really it's hopelessness, and it is because I have kids, I think it sucks for them. But, yeah I am a bit overdramatic sometimes...sometimes just to get a point across and sometimes just cause that's me. I really don't know what I will decide. I just wondered why we hold our hands out for all other countries even when our own suffer, but there are no countries that do the same for us. Basically. So in one respect you are right, who would wanna go there if they don't give us the same respect as we give them?

Hey ,for all of our warts, we are a damned good people in spite of our government
I for one am sick of seeing welfare and help given to those most lazy and undeserving while the truly deserving of help go unnoticed and under funded. We let our elderly die cold and hungry but we give cell phones and internet access to those that can push out enough kids to qualify for it and hand incredible amounts of money and aid to other countries' homeless and poor??? Irks me to NO end too.

Well, my main reason for sticking it out and being a pest is that I have kids too.. Id rather leave this place in a better shape than it is now.. if at all possible.. or give them the skills and knowledge to keep up the fight.

Oh and I dont care if youre being dramatic.. it is hard to convey passion about a subject through text anyway!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by angus1745
Are you serious? A refugee? From America?

Where is this country you want to move to where everything is so much better?

You do realise you are free to leave at any time, go to any country you choose.

As I said, you are free to piss off to any country you like, any time you like. Thats what being free means. There is a world of difference in being free and being a freeloader.

And how many years is it that the IRS expects you to pay taxes still to the US after you have packed up and left?
10 was the number I remember hearing last.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Because most countries define a "refugee" as a member of a community being specifically targeted for persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.

And no, they don't consider "I pay taxes and my politicians don't give me everything I want!" to be equivalent to "persecution."

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by reatarded

Because the US image is all based on deception, if the US allowed its citizens to migrate as refugee status, then the image of US will be destroyed.

N-Korea is no different, but N-Korea is more concerned about internal deception than external deception. Since US is an empire, it is concerned about both internal deception and external.

Too bad the whole world knows what Americans are facing, except Americans who are being bombarded with heavy propaganda from every corner.

I think you have it backwards. You want to migrate? Go to the country of choice and declare yourself a refugee. Simple as that. See what happens. They most likely won't accept you unless you have a pocket full of money, a nice business to start, won't displace a worker in their country but will hire some of theirs, may not let you own property, and will tax you like crazy. You think TSA or somebody in DC cares and would prevent you from moving to another country? Nope.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

listen, that was rude actually. I just had to make an account just to reply to you.
first of all, america isn't that great of a country at all. Americans have to go to other countries to apply for a refugee status because there are so many men out there that abuse people and america does nothing. me my mom and my brother had to leave america because they wouldn't protect us from my dad. there are alot of countries out there that are way better then america! that casey anthony girl, 4 years in court and she walks free! America courts.... we have been in court 3 years with him while he still stalked us and the courts didnt even let us move to another state because even though he tried to kill my mom, he was our dad and he had rights or what ever and he said no so we wernt alloud to. when he stalked and broke into our house the police did nothing they kept saying wait till he does it again and call back. WAIT! wait for what! us to be dead!?
so ya people want refugee status in other countries. Google jennifer collins asylum.... she was another kid who left america. we are just 2 in billions.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I am operating from memory and on the second bottle of gypsy red
but Iam kind of sure Oswald sought asylum in the Soviet Union, before he killed JFK?
They said it went sour fo rhim after initial celebrity status?
The rest is history.
I say migrate to where you feel comfortable, but don't make your host uncomfortable.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Americans,.... so many of them have never experienced true "tyranny", or at least in the sense that so many people in other countries experience under their Governments. Being jobless isn't easy, but truth is you could be jobless anywhere in the world. No country in this world guarantees a steady, well-paying job with or without benefits. People struggle to survive everywhere, not just in America. Those illegals that steal your jobs, the ones that you hate so much,... they escaped a much more tyrannical Government than what you would be escaping. Many of them crossed a hot desert and swam a river risking their lives to be here. Many of them die in the desert nearly every day just to get a piece of what you have here. Do I agree with the way they come here? Not necessarily, but it's a complicated issue. My point is only that when you are willing to die to relocate can you truthfully call the country you left "tyrannical".

They steal your jobs? How is someone who doesn't speak a word of English and never finished anything beyond High School more qualified to do any job here than you? What job did they steal from you? That gardening position you applied for? Or maybe the strawberry-picking job you were hoping to get. Maybe you wanted to work in the slaughterhouse? Or maybe you wanted to work at McDonalds or wash dishes in a restaurant.

As for the "stupid" crack heads,... yeah, they made some bad decisions and got hooked on drugs which are very difficult to quit, but have you looked at the circumstances under which they became the way they are? Do you not believe in second chances and trying to help your fellow man or woman? Who is more capable to take care of themselves? Somebody who's mind has been taken over by highly addictive drugs, or you, with a clear mind and an able body?

Ideally Welfare is for those people who need help getting back on their feet again. I don't always agree as to who gets these benefits, but the idea is that we able-bodied people try to spread a bit of generosity by helping those who need it and can't do without it. Other countries also have social programs and welfare. Anywhere in the world where you go, most 1st and 2nd world countries have a tax system where you pay into these social programs. You will not escape taxes, or a lack of jobs anywhere in the world as far as I'm aware.

We can argue all day and night about what is "tyranny". To every person it has a different meaning. To those who have never experienced true tyranny, you are soft. Your small problems are magnified a hundred fold because you have never lived in a place where they keep you so scared you are afraid to speak your mind even in your own home. I don't want to minimize your problems, but I want you to realize that there are worse things than being jobless in America. You are still able to get on the internet, speak your mind freely, you have your little side jobs, and obviously you're well enough in body and mind to express yourself. Take a moment and watch a few documentaries on refugees. Listen to their stories and compare your life to theirs. See how you match up, and determine if based on what you hear from them you deserve "refugee" status.

Some of you Americans are crazy. Maybe it would do you a world of good to get yourself a passport, a visa, and start visiting some of the countries in this world. Is America the best place in the world? I don't know. For many people and immigrants it is. Is America free of problems or corruption? No, but is there a country anywhere that doesn't suffer from political corruption? No. I don't care where you are in the world, you are going to struggle for survival. That's just the way this world is. Nobody is going to hand you a job, a house, or a car. You have to use your brain and talents to succeed anywhere, unless you win the lottery.

<< 1   >>

join