It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspect in police shooting was 'talking to an alien'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This is a bizarre story... The suspect, David Anthony Durham, 43, of Sauvie Island, reportedly shot an OSP officer on the OR. coast during an attempted traffic stop and is currently on the run. Neighbors and friends say that the man they knew, was not prone to violence and would not have thought he would do this, but also have stated that in the last 6 months, he began acting erratically and was "talking to aliens"...

David Anthony Durham, 43, has lived in the Sauvie community for the past six years and neighbors said he was a well-liked volunteer firefighter. But he was moved to “inactive service” six months ago, due to “unspecified emotional problems,” according to Fire Chief Norvin Collins. Durham’s friends and family told KGW he was an avid landscaper and a helpful neighbor who just recently started to act erratically.

In an interview with the suspects brother, the brother said that the suspect was medicated for a shoulder injury as well as depression over the recent break-up with his girlfriend, but they did not perceive a dramatic change or believe he could turn violent, however the brother did indicate:

Michael did say family had noticed David's "ability to perceive what was real and what was not real seemed to diminish."

and neighbor stated that he was talking to aliens who told him the police were coming to get him:

“He's been talking about talking to an alien who's been telling him what to do. He's convinced the police are going to come and get him. He's packed his bags and he's ready to go in case Armageddon happens," said neighbor Nancy Meyer.

Currently, the OSP officer is fighting for his life and there is an ongoing manhunt for Durham.

So, what happened? Was this a awful side effect of being multiply-medicated? Did he just snap from pressure and depression? is there something else happening?

Lincoln City shooting

Manhunt continues for police shooting suspect

Suspect in police shooting was "talking to aliens"

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0345b1a0840.jpeg[/atsimg]

Lest anyone think the shooting was confined to just the OSP officer, there is more:

Half an hour after the attack, other officers caught up with the suspect and stopped his truck with spike strips in Newport, about 14 miles north of Waldport, population 2,145. The suspect fired shots at police, ran into a wooded area and also shot at a crab fisherman on a boat in Alsea Bay.

Manhunt in Oregon town
edit on 26-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: fix broken link

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
He must be one of the "volunteers" for this new drug that is being developed by the military.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

A broken relationship often seems to make people snap. In just my realm of life long friends I've seen two snap. One stuck a shotgun in his mouth because he caught his wife cheating. The other held a knife up to his wife and threatened her with it after he caught her cheating. He was and still is one of the most passive people I've ever known.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Starting to sound like suicide by Cop. Perhaps?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Perhaps depression and medication could explain the decline in reality over the last 6 months, the talking to an alien who told him the police were coming to get him and the preparation for Armageddon doesn't sound like someone who wanted suicide by cop, though... ???

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Sigh another nutcase. Just because he says he's talking with aliens doesn't mean a thing. ATS+ schizophrenic guy=potentially dangerous conspiracy theorist lol. Even if he was talking to aliens, why would he shoot a cop? Of all things? Haha I'm pretty sure ETs have bigger plans in mind than having some random guy kill a cop.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Where is the evidence or suggestion that anything in his life pointed towards schizophrenia? According to his family, the rapid decline occurred in the last 6 months.

As for potentially dangerous ATS conspiracy, one should not discount that a perfectly sane individual was made psychotic and delusional by prescribed medications... or something else...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Where is the evidence or suggestion that anything in his life pointed towards schizophrenia?

www.bing.com...

Schizophrenia is a group of severe brain disorders in which people interpret reality abnormally. Schizophrenia may result in some combination of hallucinations, delusions and disordered thinking and behavior. The ability of people with schizophrenia to function normally and to care for themselves tends to deteriorate over time.

His own brother admitting that his perception of reality had diminished seems like a form of Schizophrenia to me.

Michael did say family had noticed David's "ability to perceive what was real and what was not real seemed to diminish."

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
i dont know why..but i my first thought was...yes..same happend to the swedish sisters in UK when they start the rampage on the highway...

interessting story..

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Problem with the rapid onset- paranoid schizophrenia explanation is that it typically develops in males in early 20's. The suspect was mid-40's. Not a discounting factor per se, but questionable...

Schizophrenia overview

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Lady Skadi,

I wonder if the depression medication only worsened this mans state of mind?
Nealy all antidepressants have a similar side effect.

Also, the neighbor said “He's been talking about talking to an
alien who's been telling him what to do".

Well in any case, if people are keeping track, this was one bad alien.
edit on 26-1-2011 by burntheships because:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I use to live in Walport and Newport which is the town before Lincoln City on the coast. There are so many places to hide out in these areas, it could make it very difficult to find him. IMO he would most likely be taking the beach route, he would have to climb the rocks during high tide, if he's on the Pacific Coast Hwy he would be easy to spot unless of course he has a vehicle. Helicopters would be the best choice to try to locate him. He evidently has severe problems and needs to be found before he does something else.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

paranoid schizophrenia explanation is that it typically develops in males in early 20's.

In all honesty, nothing about this story that I have read (which is obviously only a small part of the entire story/life of this man), seems to be "typical" at all. I wasn't saying its definitely schizophrenia. Just that it does seem like some form of that disease. Could it have been brought on by the medication he has been recently given? It most definitely could have.

I do know that my own personal opinion is leaning more towards the possibility of schizophrenia as opposed to the possibility that an alien actually told him the cops were out to get him. I spent several years very very close to someone suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Not a good combination. I am in no way remotely close to an expert, but from my experiences, and from what I have read about this story, it all seems very familiar to her ways of thinking and her thought processes when she would be deep into one of her "episodes."
edit on 1/25/11 by BrokenCircles because: grr typo from-form

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Medication for pain and depression (perhaps self-medicating and/or over-medicating as well) could indeed induce paranoid delusions and/or cause onset of some type of schizophrenia in those who are pre-disposed (I believe) and it is the most logical explanation. The question is what happens now? If he's on the run, he won't have access to additional meds. I wonder what the detox period will do to his fragile state of mind?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by angrydog

I had forgotten about the bizarre incident with the twins, interesting twist to the story. Another question mark is that his brother (in interview) declined to answer questions regarding their childhood and upbringing...

Asked a question to describe the upbringing he and his siblings had, he declined comment.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Starting to sound like suicide by Cop. Perhaps?

That's what I was thinking.

His picture gave me the creeps

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

His picture gave me the creeps

Me too.
His eyes

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

A broken relationship often seems to make people snap. In just my realm of life long friends I've seen two snap. One stuck a shotgun in his mouth because he caught his wife cheating. The other held a knife up to his wife and threatened her with it after he caught her cheating. He was and still is one of the most passive people I've ever known.

Yeah screw that.

If she is screwing around, forget her. Move along.
that's not worth losing your freedom or life over.
pffft

edit on 26-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Another nutcase with a gun. This sounds like it was made for prime time, and the next wave of anti-gun legislation.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join