It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead battery?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
OK, first off let me say I did not know where to post this so feel free to move it
I have been noticing for the past few months that my cell phone battery would not hold a charge like it did. OK that is nothing but that was the start of the battery problems I started to notice. All my batteries were acting the same. Even 'throw-a-way' batteries were not lasting as long. Batteries going dead for no reason. I taked to a freind that works at an auto parts store and he tells me they are selling batteies like crazy. He says that they have sold more in the past 6 months than in the past 2 years. I know the weather is a big factor in this but I think there is more to it. Maybe batteries are just getting to be crap. Just wondering if any one esle has noticed this.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Are we outsourcing battery making to an even cheaper country?
I notice that I have been consuming more batteries than normal, but I chalk it up to using crappy batteries to start with. You would think technology would demand better, stronger batteries to suit our modern needs, but perhaps we haven't caught up yet.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
While most believe , including myself , that cold is hard on car batteries I have also heard of people that swear by keeping disposable batteries in the fridge to improve longevity. This is interesting and will check around and see if it is happening, or perceived to be happening ,around here.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
ok this thread could not come at a better time.
Seems this phenomena is widespread, and possibly worldwide. I use very few battery operated items but those do seem to be using up batteries faster than normal. However I have noticed that car batteries are really dieing faster, 18 month warranted batteries are dieing in 7 to 8 months, whereas before they used to last up to 2 years.

There was an article about it in the local paper, it has been pulled from their site, most probably due to the crappy software they use.(really who reuses article ids?) its still on google cache search for:

battery probe site:fijitimes.com

its the second result but check the cache and not the site. I am quoting it here. Note to mods, fijitimes has pulled the story, so it probably want last long on google coche. So please let this qoute be here:

Link to google cache article

Battery probe
Verenaisi Raicola
Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A CAR battery that used to have a lifespan between two to three years now only lasts a year. That is why the Fiji Taxi Union supports a notice by the Ministry of Industry and Trade inviting the public and stakeholders to make submissions expressing their views on a draft standard for car batteries manufactured, imported and sold in Fiji. The advertisement signed by Attorney-General Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum says there had been concerns on poor quality batteries that had an adverse effect on the environment, vehicle engines and human health. All written submissions are to reach the ministry no later than Friday, February 18. FTU general secretary Rishi Ram said what was startling about car batteries was that 20 years ago their life span lasted two to three years in contrast to those manufactured today which only last a year. He applauded the move by the Government to investigate the product because batteries were expensive. He said a battery for benzene cars costs about $140 while the ones for gas vehicles cost $240. Fiji Bus Operators Association president Zane Dean said they also had a similar experience with bus batteries that cost $250 and lasted only about a year. He supported the call for submissions on car batteries.

And the thing is that 20 years ago the batteries were from the same company that they are now. The article states 20 years, but I have seen the change much more recently.

As for the refrigerator and the cold, both are correct. The cold slows down chemical reactions which slows down the discharging of the battery stored in refrigerator. And the same thing happens when the battery is in the car, the cold slows down chemical reactions, thus not letting the alternator fully recharge the battery.

edit on 1/25/2011 by kaleshchand because: forgot to add some detail

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Wow! We are having problems with our auto battery right now and my FatherNLaw was saying yesterday that in no way should our battery have gone bad already. We bought our Van brand new 2 years ago and he swears that a factory battery should last at least 5 years. He said if it was a battery from Wal-Mart or an auto store but not a factory battery.

Also, I don't know how long wii remote batteries should last but our batteries were dead in less than 3 weeks snd thats being played about 3 times a week for 2 hours at a time.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
WOW!
I almost did not start this thread thinking it was nothing but I am glad I did. It seems this is a lot bigger deal than I thought it was.
OK now that we all know there is a problem lets see if we can come up with some answers. I vote for just very poorly made batteries but could there is something else?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I think this all comes down to build quality being reduced by competition with cheaper battery manufacturers. The battery in my car is still the original and in perfect condition - I bought the car new in 2003 (probably just jinxed myself). The other family car has had 3 new batteries fitted in that time but, from checking on the net, the battery brands I used did have a high mortality rate (types you'd see on sale at the department store) so I spent a bit extra on it the last time.

I've examined those batteries that failed and the most common fault is the plates distorting and developing shorts resulting in 1 or more dead cells so basically they were far too fragile and could even be considered to be designed to fail (just outside warranty). Heavy duty deep cycle batteries with extended warranties can be thought of as a much cheaper long term option even though the upfront initial costs are considerably more.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

The thing that phases me is that batteries with 18 month warranty go bad in 7 to 8 months, If it went bad just outside warranty it would have been acceptable, but it doesn't even last that long. Not to mention the fact that it is happening in more than one country.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

i think your statement regarding the plates warping is quite correct. with modern cars the demand for current for all the gizmos that come with the vehicle seems to be stressing the battery to failure. lower temperatures also see a reduced holding charge within the battery and this also can stress out the battery when it is called on to turn the engine prior to the alternator kicking in.
i have two heavy duty (ruined by workshop mechanic) at home. his job was to bleed the fuel system and instead turned the engine over continuously without fuel in the pipes. i happened to walk into the workshop when he was doing this. he destroyed the injection pump,starter motor and said batteries. i went ballistic with him and his boss. they went out of business not long after that incident. the boss offered to fix my wagon free of charge but i vowed from that moment on to allow no-one to touch it. cost me about £1000 to replace all parts and taught me a lesson on putting faith in others who claim they know what they are doing.
anyway i have four in total(ruined) batts in storage. when i have the time, i am going to attempt to strip the batts down and see if i can straighten out the buckled plates.
f

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Yep bought an ever start for the truck from china mart a few months back and went bad right away with a bad cell. Never had an ever start do that before. Neighbor said he had the same thing happen with the same model battery.

Bad quality seems to fit. China does not need to invade us they just keep selling us thier crap that breaks down and leave is all in the 18th century soon...

XL5

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Batteries have been strong for me, nothing odd has been going on with mine.

As for car batteries, all they are really is lead, acid and plastic, yet somehow cost 60-75% more then they should. Then you get all these fancy gadgets that do everything and yet are stuck with an alternator that just charges the battery at abou 13.8V when really, it should be temperature compensated charging. If ever a free energy device was made, any battery made would be the price they should be and last as long as possible.

All lead acid batteries should last more then one year, if they don't, it could be that they are being charged under 13.6V, not for long enough or it might be China.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Haven't been having problems with batteries around here. The last one I changed was over 10 years old and wouldn't hold a charge anymore. That was about 6 months ago.

Otherwise, all is quiet on the battery front. I've got a tractor, kawasaki Mule 500 and 2 other vehicles with newer batteries ranging from 1-4 years old that are still running strong.

top topics

join