It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever wonder what it was like at the top of a Comm Tower?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I see those really big towers everywhere and once, saw a person about halfway up. I always wondered what would happen if one of the blinking lights at the very top burned out. Now, I know.

My husband sent me this link via email today. In the subject line, it said "I'd rather be pumping gas." Personally, I'd rather do ANYTHING else but this. LOL

It's called A Stairway To Heaven
A climber's view going up a 1768-foot guided tower.

There's a short intro cartoon clip and then..hold on to your seats and enjoy. (This requires a flash plugin to view)

A Stairway To Heaven

edit on 25-1-2011 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
wow! just watched all of it!

I would not do that!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Terrifying I'd think lol. I have no problem under pressure at minus 1200 feet but you couldn't hold a gun to my head and make climb that monster! LOL.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

My God this is Hardcore. i wonder do these guys have parachutes? maybe a small one

just in case.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

If you find that scary, imagine doing what is called "base jumping" -- that is climbing up these high towers then jumping off. And if you find that concept scary, then this one may be double scary.
See: vimeo.com...
It is called Wingsuit Basejumping. Only here they are jumping off something even higher than the towers.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
My palms are sweaty... i'm dizzy.... and I think I just might throw up!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I would love to see this in IMAX! Maybe even IMAX 3D! This is definitely something I can't see myself doing though, hats off to them and those who work on power lines...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SunSword

Now THAT'S flippin' NUTS!!!! I wonder who the first person was to jump in one of those wing suit things. For the guys who climb those towers, after they climb all the way up, they have to climb back down again. A parachute would seem practical to me. The video mentioned OSHA allowing them to free climb. I wonder if they allow a free fall?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I had to stop watching fairly quickly for not wanting to lose the contents of my stomach. WOW!!

Funny thing is I am terrified of heights and water, but my lifelong hobby is reading about and watching

movies about ships and planes. Go figure??

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite
I had to stop watching fairly quickly for not wanting to lose the contents of my stomach. WOW!!

Funny thing is I am terrified of heights and water, but my lifelong hobby is reading about and watching

movies about ships and planes. Go figure??

So just stop watching it.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Also what many don't know when climbing something that high is that it is also moving when you get up there... Takes a real pair of gold plated balls to do that.
edit on 26-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
This is what I did at work today. I've been cleaning windows is Seattle for about 4 years now. It's a blast.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
All is well with me until he looks back at his tool bag
and then its

Stop it, its still there !!! :p

Edit to add - Am i the only one that get a funny feeling in the ankles and feet watching this ???
edit on 26-1-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I guess you learn to be pretty organized pretty quickly in that job. Forgetting your screwdriver is going to be a major hassle once your up there.

The top 100 or so feet of the antenna looked like it had been designed to deliberately be as hard to climb as possible, what kind of sadist did that?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Obviously someone that's afraid of heights lmao

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by secretsecret2012

Can you read?? I clearly stated that I stopped watching it.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite
reply to post by secretsecret2012

Can you read?? I clearly stated that I stopped watching it.

Yup, next time, read carefully, then comment

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

they have people who do change those red lite bulbs, and they are told not to stand in front of some equipment, (micro wave emitters) because they would cook from the inside out, just standing there

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I have extreme fear of heights...I get vertigo so easily....just watching that gave me vertigo...

new topics

top topics

join