It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daughter Told To Watch SOTU Tonight

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I just don't understand an assignment like this. What is the point of grading a political speech, if history has taught us anything 80% of the stuff talked about in these state of the union addresses never happen, and what has happened is greatly exaggerated to make the politician look as good as possible. They are full of flowery prose about what needs to be done to strengthen America - but it never happens.

Why don't the teachers have their students examine the actual statistics/laws that exist in our country instead of hyperbole. How are they ever going to learn anything of value if their knowledge is based on the lies that routinely come out of a politicians mouth?

I mean why not just assign the students to watch the WWE and examine and report on the backstage rants, at least that might be entertaining.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

This made me literally

Maybe that's why they only want good points?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by Advantage

It gave me shivers too!

It is not uncommon for this teacher to go slightly off course. He is a good teacher and the kids seem to like him, but he has them do current event assignments from time to time.

Well given Im older.. as if the hs I attended didnt date me. LOL! But the educational system has definitely changed since I attended primary school. I can see it being used in economics maybe.. but history? Odd.. then again with kids these days I guess you use new and interesting methods to keep them engaged in learning. I understand your misgivings about this assignment.. honestly. But I guess we have to consider that other kids DONT have parents that teach them much at home if anything. Perhaps he is a good teacher who is trying to get the kids engaged in the real world. Id hate to think something nefarious initially... KWIM?

Due to several factors ( including a liver transplant) I have home schooled my kids for several years now. Im am amazed at the difference in what they grasp at home verses how they performed when in public school. I tell ya, its worth the cut in 2 household incomes to do it our way. I thank God I have the opportunity to do this. We sacrificed a lot to not have my income.. but Id not do it any different.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Hey, I love my president but I think you have a very valid point. If somebody made my daughter do that when Bush was in office without an objective report back, I'd be irate. My first thought was to defend your daughter's teacher but, after putting myself in your shoes... I think I see why you are upset.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Thats ok IF it's in their age and year range but not a 13 year old. This is the kind of assignment for a 15 year old or Year 8 class.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
For those who do not think this is a big deal, I personally think you are short sighted.

I had similar assignments when I was in school, but there was a HUGE difference. We were never asked to say what we liked and how we could help the President achieve his goals. We were asked to list some things he talked about (proving we actually watched it) and then what we thought about it. The assignment the OP's daughter is given is limited. No room for disagreement. She is instructed to pick 3 things she likes and how she can help. What if you do not like what he says and you see through the obvious nonsense? Do you then fail for having a differing opinion?

I would suggest that yes, if you do not like what he says or you disagree you will receive a failing grade. The instructions are find 3 things you like and how you can help. Anything that does not fall within those parameters goes against the assignment instructions, thus meaning you will fail. Did we all forget what school was like that we can easily say, "Oh this is no big deal"?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I think it's a good idea, but I agree, you can see how obvious the teachers bias is.. it should have been a "pro-con" assignment. That's the only thing I see wrong.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Thanks for taking so much time to answer. We are dvr'ingthe speech so we can discuss anything in the middle of it. She will write her paper with good and bad points (if applicable) and hand it in tomorrow. I will put a call into the teacher and let him know why it was done differently. We will see how it goes from there.

Thanks to you and the others who posted actual valid points without awarding me the worst mother of the year. It is easier to see the other side when it is stated with intelligence.

We have a duty to educate our children in many ways. This also includes teaching principles and standing up for what you think is right. I just so happen to think it's right that all the students should be able to list what is good (if any) and what is bad (if any).

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
For those who do not think this is a big deal, I personally think you are short sighted.

I had similar assignments when I was in school, but there was a HUGE difference. We were never asked to say what we liked and how we could help the President achieve his goals. We were asked to list some things he talked about (proving we actually watched it) and then what we thought about it. The assignment the OP's daughter is given is limited. No room for disagreement. She is instructed to pick 3 things she likes and how she can help. What if you do not like what he says and you see through the obvious nonsense? Do you then fail for having a differing opinion?

I would suggest that yes, if you do not like what he says or you disagree you will receive a failing grade. The instructions are find 3 things you like and how you can help. Anything that does not fall within those parameters goes against the assignment instructions, thus meaning you will fail. Did we all forget what school was like that we can easily say, "Oh this is no big deal"?

I definitely see your point.. Let her decide for herself how she agrees ( if any) and disagrees ( if any) .. list both.. and see if there is a less than deserved grade.
IMO all public education is an indoctrination exercise.. it will always be up to the parent to actually educate their children and be involved in their real world education. If the child receives a less than deserved grade or is chastised for listing agreement and disagreement...Id make a major stink. An open discussion of current events relating to politics is even impossible in a college setting these days. You tow the line or you are chastised. This teacher may be simply engaging kids.. Id watch and reserve judgment at this point.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I think it's a good idea, but I agree, you can see how obvious the teachers bias is.. it should have been a "pro-con" assignment. That's the only thing I see wrong.

She can always MAKE it a pro/con assignment.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
[ I will put a call into the teacher and let him know why it was done differently. We will see how it goes from there.

Ahh smart girl you are

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
With all do respect, I fail to see the travesty in a teacher actually assigning current and relevant homework. The majority of schoolwork these days is nothing but a bunch of worksheets.

The only point that could be construed as negative here is that they are not asked to list things that are bad, however, making the simple point that, especially in children, negativity begets negativity pretty much tosses that one out.

If you want to talk about indoctrination in school, we can talk for days on the subject. However, assigning a child to observe relevant history with attention hardly qualifies...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

WTH is wrong with asking people how they think they can help the country? Why do you want 13 years old to concentrate on the bad instead of the good? There is plenty of time for them to be exposed to what ails the country. I can only imagine the OP teaching hate to his child and belieeving that he has her completely informed. I find most of this thread revolting.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Star for that refreshing piece of honesty.

I apprecate that you can see it even if you don't quite agree.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Hate is wanting to have positives and negatives presented? Wow!

How many scars is she going to carry from learning to present a full opinion instead of an opinion laden with naught but ego strokes?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
WTH is wrong with asking people how they think they can help the country? Why do you want 13 years old to concentrate on the bad instead of the good? There is plenty of time for them to be exposed to what ails the country. I can only imagine the OP teaching hate to his child and belieeving that he has her completely informed. I find most of this thread revolting.

You are attempting (very poorly I might add) to turn what I said into something it is not. I have no problem with asking a 13 year old how they think they can help their own country. That would be an assignment I would support completely, but that is not what this assignment is. This assignment is to pick out 3 things you like that the President says, and then how you can help this President achieve his goals. Those are two completely different things.

Again, what if you disagree with the Politics of the sitting President? Some of said, "Just make it a pro/con assignment" but you can not do that without failing the assignment. The student in this case is handcuffed, forced to agree and make a case based upon the agreement with the opinion of another. I always thought school was there to teach you how to think for yourself, not let someone else think for you.

You may find this thread "revolting" but I find your assumptions revolting. First off you assume the OP teaches hate to her child. Secondly you assume I am saying that I want children to see the bad instead of the good and sadly that is far from the truth. It is my belief that we should teach our kids to not believe everything they hear and to instead question what they are told and see if the actions behind what they are told coincide with what they hear. We should teach our kids to think for themselves, and not follow the heard and let others think for them.

It is my opinion that the teacher has an agenda. The teacher is pushing his/her students to follow his/her beliefs. Instead of guiding them to figure out their own beliefs. That is "revolting".
edit on 25-1-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well, you were right. I watched the SOTU, and I can now believe Obama (and all liberals) is the antichrist, what with his message of compromise and togetherness.

How could your daughter EVER find a positive in that speech?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Second verse, same as the first.

I don't particularly recall saying she would be unable to find anything positive in the speech. If I did, I can't find it. If you can point me in the right direction I will be more than thankful and apologize for making such a ridiculous claim.

I took issue with the fact that they would not be allowed to write anything but glowing reviews. The option should be given to voice other opinions as well.

If you find that post let me know. Apologies will be made when I see it.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I see.

So did you gather around your kitchen table as a family, and talk about how to work together as a country?
Did you come up with some ideas, or inspiration? Did you have a lengthy discussion about compromise and unity? Or did you and your daughter dissect what he said in an effort to find negatives, so it wouldnt turn into a "praise paper"?

This is a common course assignment. It is not sinister. It is not indoctrination.

You are just letting your politics get in the way of your daughters education. You need to calm down, not everything is a communist plot to destroy america.
edit on 26-1-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Hey there were all sorts of positive speech-y ear tickling feel good type things.. just real low on the truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join