It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am cooking dinner and..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I am really getting annoyed. Im cooking dinner, as usual, and not only have I bought overpriced things, but they go bad in a few days. Im paying first rate prices for 3rd rate produce.. and Im pissed... again.

We buy all of our meat free range and overpriced.. but as far as veggies my gardens did poorly last year and some things I just cook out of season and get the produce from the grocery store. Well, it used to cost me about 250 every 2 weeks total for the whole house to eat and have store bought as well as the fre range meats I order. Now Im up to right around 375-400 every 2 weeks and this crap produce goes bad within a few days. I bought these damned mushroom for a bison and mushroom dish and the stupid shrooms are slimy... after one day in the crisper. Stupid mushrooms...

Ive been buying food and cooking a LOOOOONG time.. and the changes and BS cant be overlooked or scoffed at anymore. Im going broke trying to feed the family in a healthy way.

Death to the grocers and GMO freaks!!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The way i see it is that people really do not need that much food to eat really to live.

We all in the west could cut down our eating and we still would be ok and able to live. I know you may not like to hear that, but it is true. I have cut down on my eating alot over last few years, and you can survive on very little amounts.

But i agree most food in big stores today in uk is not as nice as it was, but you still have to eat, and drink, and the ptb know this, and they know you just have to accept it.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I bought these damned mushroom for a bison and mushroom dish and the stupid shrooms are slimy... after one day in the crisper.

That's fast. I've had them last up to 4 days before. You need a couple of cans as a backup source.

I find I have to pick and choose so carefully what to eat first, what lasts the longest, how many days to buy for. I try to only go to the store once a week. Vegies and fruits are getting so expensive these days, and in the winter some things in the produce section are already crap by the time they get to the store.

That supper dish sounded good. I like both bison and shrooms.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

I bought these damned mushroom for a bison and mushroom dish and the stupid shrooms are slimy... after one day in the crisper.

That's fast. I've had them last up to 4 days before. You need a couple of cans as a backup source.

I find I have to pick and choose so carefully what to eat first, what lasts the longest, how many days to buy for. I try to only go to the store once a week. Vegies and fruits are getting so expensive these days, and in the winter some things in the produce section are already crap by the time they get to the store.

what is bison like to eat? i didnt know people ate that meat.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
The way i see it is that people really do not need that much food to eat really to live.

We all in the west could cut down our eating and we still would be ok and able to live. I know you may not like to hear that, but it is true. I have cut down on my eating alot over last few years, and you can survive on very little amounts.

But i agree most food in big stores today in uk is not as nice as it was, but you still have to eat, and drink, and the ptb know this, and they know you just have to accept it.

Im feeding 6 people.. Im doing very well considering the price of the meat we are eating.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

What dont get is the first rate prices for 3rd rate produce.. how do they get away from it. All produce is sold in ratings to the grocery stores.. looks like the grocery stores are charging premium prices for 3rd rate and selling it as 1st rate.

Yeah, every year we leave extra in the budget for the winter buy of out of season produce but I swear this year its a lot different.. prices and quality both.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Lansky

what is bison like to eat? i didnt know people ate that meat.

I find it similar to good quality beef, and it has less cholesterol.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lansky

I order free range bison because free range beef locally is more expensive. Figure that one out.
Bison is very similar to beef, just tastes better to me and is much more lean. Its not gamey though.. just a good mellow meat without the hormones and antibiotics... and farming practices that store bought beef endure. We order elk sometimes but bison/buffalo is our main red meat now.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

We all have been conditioned to consume. Try and break the habits and eat wisely and less heavy meals. I eat often during the day but just healthy snacks and a nice dinner usually. But I'm no angel, and myself could use a dose of my own preaching, if you know what I mean.
spike

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Well, it used to cost me about 250 every 2 weeks total for the whole house to eat and have store bought as well as the fre range meats I order. Now Im up to right around 375-400 every 2 weeks ...

WoW! You must have a huge family.

I spend about 40 euros every two weeks to eat and drink. Less when my garden is harvestable.

Am I doing something right?
edit on 25/1/2011 by nerbot because: spellig mistale

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

BTW super easy and cost effective meal. Get a med or lg roast ( bison or beef) cut it up in chunks or buy "stew beef" , brown it in olive oil, cut up an onion throw it in the pan, use those white button mushrooms and shiitake ( tried portobello.. not so good) and throw them in the pan, make some brown gravy.. throw that in the pan. Add hte browned beef while youre making a large pot of long grain rice. Cook until the meat is tender and pour over the rice.. voila.

Usually 6 people are fed because I feed an extra kid most dinners, but we eat well and also have enough for left overs/next day lunch. I do meat 2 or 3 times a week as it is now. If it were up to me we'd eat meat every night... Im a definite carnivore. I hear a lot about eating cheap and lowering my intake and all of that BS. most of the time I eat according to my ethnicity and incorporate a lot of the traditional dishes and foods... and in my 40's Im still in a size 5 and nothing is pointing south, so I figure Im going with whats good for me and not what some stupid govt agency claims is good with their food pyramid.

Id felt like ranting on the lettuce issue I had yesterday.. but tonight was the last straw.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I actually prefer it to beef. Blue cheese melted on it and a healthy dose of mushrooms is to die for.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by Advantage
Well, it used to cost me about 250 every 2 weeks total for the whole house to eat and have store bought as well as the fre range meats I order. Now Im up to right around 375-400 every 2 weeks ...

WoW! You must have a huge family.

I spend about 40 euros every two weeks to eat and drink. Less when my garden is harvestable.

Am I doing something right?
edit on 25/1/2011 by nerbot because: spellig mistale

Have you priced free range meats lately?? enough to feed 6 people in a family for 2 weeks of total groceries.

Im not complaining about the price.. Id prefer to put top quality items in my body than have vacations, fluff, entertainment,and new cars. I choose whats important to me to spend the money on.. this is it for me personally. I have the money to afford our eating lifestyle, I just get pissed when the quality is not appropriate for the price Im paying.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Can you not chop up all the veg you have as soon as you buy it and keep it in freezer bags in the freezer? That way you can use it as you go along and nothing will go to waste...?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by KatieVA
Can you not chop up all the veg you have as soon as you buy it and keep it in freezer bags in the freezer? That way you can use it as you go along and nothing will go to waste...?

Not the shrooms.
I bought then specifically to use within a day or 2.. they went slimy that quick. I was saying the issue is that stores are now selling 3rd rate produce at first rate prices.

Okay.. you know how discount grocery stores sell slightly off or 2nd or 3rd rate vegetables? Other stores sell 1st rate.. for higher prices. ALL vegetables are rated. If you are buying vegetables for a first rate price at a store... you expect first rate vegetables. The grocery store is making money billing 3rd rate veggies as 1st rate. Kind of like you get 2 less slices of cheese in a package but pay the same rate as you did previously.

Basically its a scam concerning our food.
edit on 25-1-2011 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Scams like this are enough to piss anyone off:

www.rooshv.com...
Have we ever been told a good reason why there are produce sprinklers at the grocery store? I’m not a farmer but I know that dead vegetables don’t need to be bathed in tap water to stay fresh. Judging by the red-orange mold growing in my bathtub, I would assume that extra moisture hastens spoilage. The real reason is because all that water adds to the final weight at checkout. Notice how they only sprinkle the green leafy vegetables that can hold water in their crevices. You will never see them spraying tomatoes or oranges. My calculations show that this extra water pads the industry’s profit by millions of dollars a year, which is why I shake the # out of my broccoli crowns before I bag it up.

I started looking up produce and grocery store scams.. all I can say is wow.. fraud today is seen as good business practice.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

That meal sounds so good. I would say you're healthy because you're making real homemade food. Up here, the meat has gotten cheaper, and the vegies way more expensive. I only buy meat on sale though.

When I buy leaf lettuce, I sprinkle with a tiny bit of water, and then put it in an airtight plastic bag, with lots of air in the bag. The bottom shelf is where it sits, it doesn't fit in the crisper. It gets it's own little environment that way. It seems to last a long time that way.

Instead of regular house plants, I have growing parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme ( I know, sounds like a song), and mint. Next year I need to expand my indoor herbs. I should see if I can get a tomato plant growing indoors through next winter.

Just read your above post. Our grocery up here doesn't have the sprinklers, but they sit things on crushed ice. Carrots and other root vegies have to be dry for storage, I now wrap them in paper towels when I first store them in the crisper.
Lettuce is OK with the water, but it needs to be in airtight container, air + water is bad for lettuce.
edit on 25-1-2011 by snowspirit because: added

edit on 25-1-2011 by snowspirit because: editor stole my carrots.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

That meal sounds so good. I would say you're healthy because you're making real homemade food. Up here, the meat has gotten cheaper, and the vegies way more expensive. I only buy meat on sale though.

When I buy leaf lettuce, I sprinkle with a tiny bit of water, and then put it in an airtight plastic bag, with lots of air in the bag. The bottom shelf is where it sits, it doesn't fit in the crisper. It gets it's own little environment that way. It seems to last a long time that way.

Instead of regular house plants, I have growing parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme ( I know, sounds like a song), and mint. Next year I need to expand my indoor herbs. I should see if I can get a tomato plant growing indoors through next winter.

Just read your above post. Our grocery up here doesn't have the sprinklers, but they sit things on crushed ice. Carrots and other root vegies have to be dry for storage, I now wrap them in paper towels when I first store them in the crisper.
Lettuce is OK with the water, but it needs to be in airtight container, air + water is bad for lettuce.
edit on 25-1-2011 by snowspirit because: added

edit on 25-1-2011 by snowspirit because: editor stole my carrots.

Im in Illinois at the moment and the grocery prices have gotten worse in the last year and meat is very much more expensive. Our veggies look terrible here in my area regardless of where you go it seems. I bought a pork roast for a dinner some friends were having for an arm and a leg.. and when I took it from the package it was mainly fat on the bottom hidden by the packaging...the fat added to the weight and cost more for less edible meat. Incredible what they are pulling around here. I wound up sacrificing one of my frozen bison roasts.. which I wasnt thrilled about.

I like your lettuce idea. I plan and try to use everything thats not frozen almost immediately.. but Im trying your lettuce trick. We were doig fine when our gardens were producing, but last year we got hardly NO yield and had to resort to the store. I had nothing to can. Im in the city now and youd be surprised what you can grow in relatively little space. I ordered the non-gmo heirloom seeds for just about every veg out there.. so we will see what happens this year with the garden and canning for this time of year. I think my issue last year was harvesting the seeds from the plants we had the previous year and they were all but sterile. Stupid GMO junk I bought to plant the garden with I think.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Lately I've just resigned myself to using fruits and veggies within 2 days of purchase, and just making more trips to the store. Luckily, I live in an area where supermarkets are pretty close by, and I can work it into my routine. (usually on my way home after work).

I used to use a lot of frozen veggies, but lately learned there is a big difference in both quality of taste and nutritional value...so working more fresh stuff in.

new topics

top topics

join