It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalists: What We Aren't and What We Are.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

Many people who say they are survivalists just want the end of the world to come around, it's what you do not what you say that matters.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
reply to post by LargeFries

Many people who say they are survivalists just want the end of the world to come around, it's what you do not what you say that matters.

I dont want the end of the world. I like my running water, and hot showers. I like fast food when I'm too tired to cook. I like my sat TV and some really great music on Sirius. I like my airconditioning.

But, if that all goes away, I also like having a fall back plan.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'd say survivalists are comprised of a lot of different types of people. My interest comes from being a farmer, and my irresistible urge to grow, harvest, and my favorite: forage food. I cant explain it, but it makes me really happy. The same goes for fishing.

While I'm used to killing the occasional squirrels and iguanas that get too close to my crops with a bb gun, I'm not too fond of guns at all.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Nice

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
A Survivalist to me...is one of the wild...

CAN hunt, fish, and dig water with one stick...
CAN make fire with two sticks...
CAN build a shelter with three sticks...

Plants, Trees, Fungi, Algae provide food and medicine, as well as insects, amphibians, and mammals. Survival is based on what you know about your surrounding ecosystems.

We fear not the dangers within the wilderness of our mother... What we fear is our mother, or our fellow humankind putting us at ground zero in a great event and not giving us the chance to survive.

Just my thoughts...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Good sentiments in the OP.

I think the average Joe does feel that Survivalists are generally crazies who welcome some kind of SHTF scenario, are obsessed with guns, etc.

And, maybe some are. I'm sure there are many different types of survivalists.

While I can't even yet call myself one, I do recognize the need or at least the common sense of being prepared for such an event.

Living in Florida, I've had periods of having no water, no power, and basically no normal society trappings for a few days during bad hurricanes, etc. Luckily, I've never had to go more than a couple days in such cases, and thanks to just a little preparedness, it was actually not bad. We cooked on the grill, went through our supplies, read books, and played games, etc. The only real suck part was the Fl heat without AC.

So, I can identify with those wanting to maintain a level of comfort in a SHTF scenario. I don't just want to "survive", I'd prefer to actually survive well. It will take time, but I would like to be prepared for at least a 3 month period of us surviving on our own, if we had to. It will also take money, but I'm hoping that a gradual buildup will help. Basically, just extending the hurricane preparedness out.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I can attest to that!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Brother, you are not kidding about that Florida heat! And the combination of heat and humidity!

Especially after having a hurricane deluge your area in rain, so afterwards it's like breathing water and living in a sauna. And all the rotting, downed vegetation really gets rank after about day five.

We got hit by Charley, Frances and Jeanne in 2004, all within about six weeks. We had more days without electricity in that time than we had days with electricity.

For anyone whose doesn't know, no electricity in the country means no AC of course, but also no water for a nice cooling shower if you are on a well like we were. You hope for rain so you can go out in the backyard, strip off and have a GI shower. You try to collect rain for water to flush the toilet with, and maybe take a bath; we used two 55 gal trash cans and some tarps to collect the rain water for those purposes. We had plenty of drinking water stashed away.

Never going through another hurricane without a VERY substantial reserve of hard liquor though!

And toilet paper, lol.

edit on 2-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Dang. I just noticed something.

There's a really high percentage of Floridians on this topic.

Must have something to do with those damned hurricanes, huh?

EDIT: Unless you count the Tourists and snowbirds as a SHTF scenario!!!
edit on 2-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: Added

top topics

<< 1   >>

join