It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football Vs. Rugby?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

“I think the more violent game is American football, and the more physically challenging is rugby. The advantage in American football is that you get seven months to prepare for a four-month season. In rugby, it seems like you get two weeks to prepare for an 11-month season.” –Richard Tardits, who played rugby with France’s national youth team before moving to the US and picking up football. Tardits would go on to play linebacker for the New England Patriots and Arizona Cardinals before returning to rugby as a member of the US national team.

Rugby VS. American Football

Two completely different sports yet similar in some aspects.Which would you say is better?

For me it's rugby.
edit on 11/09/2010 by SlovenlyGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It's not soccer...it's Football.

Hence FOOT ball

(Sorry just had to spew that out)

But yes...rugby and american footie is very similar..
edit on 25-1-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I'm on your team Slov. Together we can defeat OutKast Searcher! Go Team!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

Lol.Thanks for the reply. Football(soccer) is in a league of its own.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Yes together we shall destroy the evil demon Outkast Searcher!!Add him to the list of enemies...of skov

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Football is the most skillful sport as you have to use your feet. Its easier to catch a ball than kick it. Thow a kid a ball, they will try and catch it, you have to have skills to play football.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The World says NFL.. But that could be more spectacle than anything else.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Not soccer.
American football

thanks for the reply though.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I don't know if American football is more violent. I would tend to think that rugby would be far more demanding in all areas. No padding to protect from the hits says a lot in my opinion. I think you need to be real tough to play rugby.

Rugby definitely is the more demanding of the two. Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

I totally agree with you.I've watched American Football and it doesn't compete.Though,most Americans wouldn't admit that.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I played football when really young and began playing rugby in college. From personal experience, the great thing about rugby is that what you lack in size/strength, you can make up for with grit and scrappiness. I regularly played in the forward pack against large football-players types, and often over the course of 80 minutes it would be a truly even battle.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I personally think Rugby is the better of the two, for the simple fact that i'm from New Zealand.

Go the All Blacks!

Peace 2 all

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazz-14

Well the springboks will be keeping their World Cup Trophy so don't get your hopes up

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I'll let this vid speak for my choice

ETA: I played a few games like that through my school life, tho to our credit we still managed to concuss a few teachers, but on the whole got beaten to a pulp
and no, I'm not a public (private) schoolboy..

edit on 31/1/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Jonah Lomu

edit on 31/1/2011 by Hazz-14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
lol cool vids thanks guy.

the legend himself Mr Jonah.Scary guy that.those damn maories.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'm surprised this question needs to even be asked !

Rugby ( both codes ) is an entertaining and enthralling sport, while American Football is a 3-hour commercialthon interspersed with sporadic 10-second pieces of ''action''.

I don't deny that American Footballers are skilful at what they do, and I wouldn't claim that rugby is superior or inferior in that regard, it's just that American Football is just so mind-numbingly dull !

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

That's not true.

Kicking a ball is easy, as is handling a ball. It's doing it well that is the difficult part !

All sports require a different selection of skills, and I don't think you can accurately claim that one requires more skill than the other. Something as basic as athletics requires a tremendous amount of skill to do perform well at, the same as many unfairly-maligned sports such as darts, snooker and table tennis.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazz-14

Jonah Lomu was an extraordinary player.

It's just a shame that his career was cut off in his prime due to illness.

I love the way that players attempting to tackle him seemed to just ''bounce'' off him !

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
You have no idea how happy I am to see people agree with me. All this started with a debate I had with an ATS member that was convinced American Football is the more athletic sport. Which it isn't of course.

Yeah, it's sad it had been cut short. He'll always be a legend.

I remember back in 1995 there was an advert where a bunch of Springboks start arguing on who's suppose tackle him. Not that any of them wanted to. He's a giant.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join