It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise of the Chav

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Ted I have had thoughts in the past about being a social worker , any advice mate , Im looking for work at the mo so ..........

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGhostViking

Well no-one will employ you without experience so i would suggest getting with an organisation such as CSV and doing some voluntary work, Its defined as voluntary but technically they put you up in a nice place and sort ALL your expenses for a year, But yeah i did that for two years then became a manager at the same project i volunteered at, Meaning im now paid £14,000 with all my Out of pocket expenses paid for, And its a brilliant job, but ive gotta run back and forth between here and glasgow all the time, nothing to complain about though

edit on 25/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
wow sounds good mate Il see what I can find out tomorrow Im in Rochdale by the way , the kids round here need some help lol , thnxx for the info Ted greatly appreciated

edit on 25-1-2011 by TheGhostViking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resentedhalo08
It is most likely the media that has made people more aware of these people and in part facilitated their rise in the British culture. Chavs are generally poorly educated, white and working class (this is not a dig btw, I am a proud working class male),

They are not, from my experience, confined to white youths. The whole general "chav" sub-culture seems to be predominately geared around wanting to be a "gangsta" and as a result, I have seen as many crowds of young black or asian kids behaving in exactly the same way, with their nasally way of speaking (as if they have a cold), poor grammar and extremely short tempers. It isn't confined to a racial group at all, it's just dim-witted kids wanting to be part of a group.

The only difference I have noticed is that the white ones tend to hang around in parks and play area's whereas the black ones congregate around KFC... The one's in the town where I live now have those high frequency kid detterents blaring at night. Unfortunately, despite being 28, I can still hear them too and it hurts your brain.

I think the problem is down to society and one that has failed many young people who believe that in dressing like this and adopting a certain culture that in many ways is at odds of that of the UK's, there is a massive problem here and that is alchohol and binge drinking which in turn adds to a lot of anti-social behaviour that blights the country.

It might be fashionable to blame society, but come on. If these kids had any desire to succeed, the opportunity is there. But, as part of this "gangsta" sub culture, it is seen as abhorrent to do well at school, or even attend and rather they would engage in truency, petty crime and drugs.

Back in the 90's, I was probably what you could describe as the ecvolutionary precursor to a chav, but I had enough by the time I was 17 and got myself an apprenticeship and a career. Those I left behind may now have grown up a bit, but have scuppered any chance of making anything big of themselves by virtue of the fact they didn't want to break from the pack.

Now to my main point, what can be done to stop the negative effects that happen due to, "chavs"....

Nothing, really. Every generation has it's youth sub-cultures and they come and go. I do not see why society must spend money hand over fist trying to fix a problem that is by and large of it's own making. The parents of these kids don't help and it is largely their fault for raising such under-achieving little low lifes anyway. It isn't our responsibility to help them, most do not seek help anyway. If they want out or wnat to progress, then the first step has to be theres. Until then, just let the Fuzz crack them over the head like they've done to deliquent youths over the decades.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Yeah, and it's a shame that some of these kids do in fact come from damn good families too but get mixed up in the wrong groups, usually school drop outs, and there's NOTHING the parents can do about it because the SYSTEM works only for the kids and NEVER works with the parents.

In Australia a kid can't purchase alcohol, be caught in public with alcohol or enter a pub until they turn 18, yet your underage kids can visit a friend's home and drink alcohol there and it's not illegal.

Not all these feral kids come from feral homes and not all these kids tell you the truth. Bottom line is they don't like school, drop out of school, think they know everything, argue with their parents, end up consuming alcohol and taking illegal substances, want to run feral, then wonder why their parents throw them out. Alot of these kids certainly do put their parents & families through the wringer - and Welfare & Police allows it to happen. The worst part is more than half these kids come from decent homes and a majority of them are single parents. However, just the mention of a single parent comes with that age old stigma that they are all bad and dysfunctional which could'nt be further from the truth.

Most of these Welfare people are young, inexperienced, never had kids and they too think they know it all. Try listening to one of these so-called "professional" people tell a parent 20-30 years their senior how to bring up their kids, but when confronted with the cold hard realities of what the parents are up against, these "professionals" flake in to a heap. The system does more damage to these teenagers than a majority of their parents. I'm yet to meet one of these professional idiots pursuade a teenage kid back in to school or help them find suitable work if even part time.

Lucky for me none of my kids fell in to this trap but some of their old school friends did; none of them have jobs, have been on the dole for the past 3 years and when they see my kids at the shopping mall they beg for money because they owe their drug supplier and want that quick fix or want to purchase alcohol.

All these kids should be rounded up and put in Boot Camp for 6 months or for as long as it takes to get them back on track.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
hmmm, these Chavs sound like what we called the W word where I'm from. Sounds like the N word, only it means a white kid. Of course they've been around the Detroit area for over 20 years. Even when i was in high school in the early 90's I had to deal with these kids so I can sympathize. One of the reasons I don't have kids of my own is because I wouldn't want to raise them around this trash.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Here is a video of the Jeremy Kyle show for people who don't live in the UK to get a sense of some of the social problems in this country

There are many more on youtube and if you feel compelled feel free to browse through them at your (dis)pleasure

The Jeremy Kyle show is just a small snapshot of a lot of stuff that goes on in this country, sometimes it makes me ashamed to be British and at other times it is downright funny, but all in all it is sad... sad that there are sections of the British society that have very little self respect and expect to live out their lives on the benefits system, seeing it as "free" money.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Resentedhalo08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This is nothing new.Here in America we call them "poor white trash" and they can be seen regularly on "The Jerry Springer Show"....

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

Mate i cant believe youve inflicted the us guys with Jermy kyle lmao , mind you their the kings of chat shows so im sure they wont be TOO shocked lol

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Hopefully Darwins theory of selection can eradicate the 'bad eggs'

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Wasn't there already a thread on the Chavs?

Seems like these guys are becoming a big problem.Think most countries have has some form of Chav.

Anyz...

Good luck to ya and your fight against the Chavs

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

Interesting video. I have missed all this, having lived outside the UK for over 10 years now. I think it is really the fact that the media is forcing this down the throats of the population. True, attitudes have changed since I lived there, however, the social issues illustrated in the video have not. I remember listening to similar conflicts, albeit not on TV, but in the streets. That was during the 70s and 80s.

However, all said and done, society moves on, be it for good or bad.
For those that are interested in how people in the 70s percieved this, especially the veterans of the Vietman war, I suggest reading "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman. I think that he illustrates the social changes through time quite vividly.

Still, next week, I will be visiting the UK. I will keep an eye out for these Chavs and see what I make of them.

Thanks for the heads-up.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Every era and country has its subcultures.. I've always wondered: Who creates them? Are they socially engineered? Why is burberry associated with this particular subculture? Who names them?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba287af55664.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 26-1-2011 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
So what needs to be highlighted here is the fact that, "Chavs", are dissillusioned with a country that they feel has left them behind, a country that does not care and I see their actions as their rebellion against the system.

The system has created them, infact it has actively encouraged their growth. Personal responsibility of the individual has been substituted and under-mined by the very system that created them. Who is to blame? Politicians? A lethargic largely non-voting complacent populace? You, the individual?

All are responsible. You cannot create & maintain an ethically and morally upright society when what you do is actively encourage state dependency and remove personal responsibility. What you get is ignorant, uneducated 'chavs' creating more ignorant, uneducated 'chavs'. While the hard working educated classes plan their families at great personal cost, these chav people pop out their offspring while barely out of nappies themselves, and expect the State to pay for it, which it does.

I guess it's really just a product of a morally bankrupt, ethically void society.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Sub cultures are about creating an Identity for young people mainly. Young people like to feel they belong to a particular group, EMO, Goth, Skater, Chav, where they can share the same values and ideas(music/fashion etc). I guess they are kind of anti establishment or anti the idea of conforming to the norms and values of wider society. The burberry thing with the chavs came through counter fitting of burberry merchandise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join