It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Is Happening At Glacier Peak, Washington NOW (1/25/11)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Cheerfulnihilist

True, you don't get many big quakes in BC, though there have been four mag sevens there and over the border in Washington state in the past 130 years or so.

However, I think they're probably running that story because today is the 311th anniversary of the Great Casacadia Earthquake of 1700. This quake had a significant impact on Vancouver Island and also other coastal regions of BC, as well as regions south into what is now Washington, Oregon and northern California. Just search "1700 Cascadia Earthquake" and you'll find many references on the web, including studies of its effects and also the possible impacts of the next one.

I also referred to this event and its predecessors in one of my earlier posts in this thread (on page 4), where I considered it in relation to volcanic activity in the region.

Regards,

Mike

edit on 26/1/11 by JustMike because: typo

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

It's better to be safe then sorry, I would be prepared if i was you.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

thanks for that little 'here's how earthquakes work'.

I am aware of such things and have taken the overall picture into account when I say it doesn't look like a need for dramatic exclamations which may cause panic.

if you check the links I posted, it covers all the NW area and the further link has access to USA and worldwide.

There is a lot going on in the world which is a concern and, at these times especially, it is best to research accurately to prevent unnecessary scaremongering and detraction of attention from areas which are more of a concern, also to show information within context.

Sensationalist headlines are best left to the rag mags, I prefer to deal in facts and quite frankly don't have the time for part information portending to be major when it is really subtext.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I was stationed at FT. Lewis Washington between 07' and 08', during in-processing they told us we were surrounded by volcano's that were due to go anytime. They also said when they start to go you will not have much time left after that to kiss your loved one's and your ass good-bye! I was hoping to be told were the secret bunker was but when your base is in the path of molten hot lava, well game over. It would be best for you to have a good exit plan, just in case.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
RSOE EDIS tracks disasters whole world
hisz.rsoe.hu...

any got more links like this?

there is a nuclear event going in in pennesylvania with Susquehanna Nuclear Power Plant
media say...
news.google.com...
edit on 26-1-2011 by conar because: (no reason given)

technological disaster in St. Petersburg Shopping Mall
media say
news.google.com...

Mt Etna Volcano erupts in Italy
news.google.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Thank you for your response. If my post offended you in some way then I apologize, as it was neither my intention to offend nor to belittle your own efforts at presenting information in a balanced and reasonable fashion. I read your previous posts and it was clear to me that you are aware of and use reliable information sources; linking to some of them as you did would no doubt be appreciated by some members.

As is often the case when I reply, my post was not intended to be purely for you but was also a way to present some general information on the matter to hand for other members who -- in some cases -- are very new to all this and perhaps do not possess your level of knowledge or awareness. In other words I was attempting to address some of the broader issues that relate to complexities of determining what our planet is doing.

I have not tried to either sensationalize or fearmonger the situation the OP has addressed. Rather, I have simply presented some information from verifiable sources that might be of interest to her or other members, and offered some points of conjecture on that information. Seismic events and volcanic activity are subjects that have interested me for some years, which is one reason that roughly half my posts on ATS relate to these matters.

I agree that there are various places around the globe that either are or could become major causes of concern, but as this specific thread relates to the PNW region I confined my comments to that subject.

Regards,

Mike

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Keep on it people....i have family up there i want to warn. Just say when.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I am 250 miles north-east of yellowstone. I haven not felt any quakes, however I have heard odd sounds, like a train is going through my house. It vibrates and I can hear it before I feel the vibration. It is not a quake because there is no news on this.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

For what it's worth, my own opinion is that there's really nothing to get seriously worried about at the present time in respect of that volcano. Before anything major happens there would be a range of indicators -- just as there were with Mt St Helen's and more recently (for example) with Mt Merapi in Indonesia. It's not simply going to suddenly have a violent eruption with no precursors.

I am quite certain that if anything develops there, then there will be announcements made by expert observers (which also happened with Merapi) and if things look dire then warnings would doubtless be given. But for the present time, just treat this as an opportunity to glean some information. The earthquake watch and volcano watch threads are also good sources, as there is plenty of data and analyses posted in them.

But for now -- no need to worry too much.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Just to let you all know, CVO (Cascade Volcano Observatory) and LVO (Long Valley Observatory) along with a few others give updates to only once a week on Friday's - Unless of course there is a crisis occuring. YVO (Yellowstone Volcano Observatory) Gives a monthly update during the first week of the month - again unless there is something major going on. What the OP reported yesterday, was breaking news so to speak and before anyone from CVO reports, they must make sure that whatever is going on is a real event, an ongoing event and an event that may develop into an eruption. If you look Here you will see that there is in fact something happening by the spikes you see. What that is at this time is still ongoing reasearch and something to be mindful of.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I am going to guess you are on the Lower Mainland or southern Vancouver island. I sure hope Mount Baker doesn't erupt, but if it did it would be quite the show from those locations I mentioned because I have lived in both of those places and the view is quite spectacular even minus any volcanic activity.

I am going to stay tuned to this thread and hope for the worse, this is a small world and all this activity as of late cannot give me the feeling that it is all somehow connected. Sorry folks, I wish I had a better explanation.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Thanks Mike...and ATS

i am flat line to most things but still want to catch things on the hop.......

so i have my ears to the ground.....filtering out most of ATS noise

but when my Westcoast people speak up i raise an eyebrow.

Keep it up yaull.

edit on 26-1-2011 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Could this be anything to do with FEMA buying emergency food packs and blankets ?
just a thought .

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Another 2.1 Earthquake about 20 mins ago, nothing to worry about(hopefully), but keep an eye on things.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Could Yellowstone National Park’s caldera super-volcano be close to eruption?
www.dailymail.co.uk...

A Yellowstone caldera eruption would explode with a force a thousand times more powerful than Mount St Helens in Washington

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Cheerfulnihilist

The Lower Mainland of BC and Vancouver Island are supposed to expect "the big one" according to many experts. I remember living there and feeling quite a few earthquakes. These were from 1997-2008.

"The big one" theory can be fear mongering or scientific error and they do say that we may not even expect it in our life time, but i just thought I should mention that Canada does get it's fair share of quakes.

I am certainly no expert on the matter and only going by multiple news reports I have seen over the years.

Let's all hope this is just regular activity. I have a feeling this is just mother earth letting out a few kinks in her chain, hopefully I am right.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: spelling

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I also find it peculiar that the Tremor plots have not updated since the beginning of the activity.

Instrument
Tremor Plots

In addition, we are not able to obtain other instrument readings from reliable sources as they are "Off Line"

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The Nasa SOHO site has been taken offline. Why? Connected to Earthquake activity?

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

First of all, thank you for all the links and your post. I've got most of those here somewhere...but they are scattered about.

As for the disaproval of the thread....well, I think JustMike did a great job answering that (thank you). My intent is not to fear monger and I would NOT have started its own thread if it were not so obvious that something notable was happening. Please notice the title of this thread. I wasn't claiming an erruption or anything else, because I didn't know and STILL don't know what was going on (and still is) with the seismos.

There are times that I will start something and then to my embaressment regret it. I am nowhere near that point (yet
) with this thread. I just don't think there is anyway that sig could be something other than seismic in nature, and that it showed up on all the volcanos but Rainier is another very important indicator. You certainly do not have to agree with me and I hope you are right and I am wrong!!

I also agree with JustMike that there is nothing to get too freaked out over here yet. Historically, there are many indicators to a pending erruption, and there are also many times that a volcano will build up only to die down again and produce nothing.

I am of the agreement however, that this is yet another indicator that tensions are mounting whithin the subducation zone. I would be hard pressed to give a good arguement for that, if it weren't for the activity showing up on so many volcanos at once, and the little swarm we seem to be having right now of little quakes.

I will link again to the USGS quake map of washington:

MAP

Now that may not look like much, but I have been watching this area for a long time, and this many micro quakes in less than two weeks, along with the deep tremors increase and now this...has got me paying much closer attention.

Notice the second quake this morning at saint helens. A 2.9(edit:2.1) in a volcano is worth watching:

MAP 2.1 2011/01/26 15:33:10 46.201 -122.188 2.6 1 km ( 0 mi) W of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
MAP 1.9 2011/01/25 23:41:20 46.198 -122.191 2.3 1 km ( 1 mi) WSW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
MAP 1.5 2011/01/25 22:43:25 46.080 -122.881 22.5 3 km ( 2 mi) N of Prescott, OR
MAP 1.8 2011/01/25 21:54:01 47.314 -122.383 27.6 3 km ( 2 mi) W of Federal Way, WA
MAP 1.2 2011/01/25 12:22:00 45.964 -122.841 21.2 5 km ( 3 mi) S of Kalama, WA
MAP 1.1 2011/01/24 22:13:55 47.085 -121.939 14.5 8 km ( 5 mi) E of Carbonado, WA
MAP 1.3 2011/01/24 11:38:06 47.721 -120.477 0.0 20 km ( 12 mi) NE of Leavenworth, WA
MAP 2.0 2011/01/24 09:16:03 47.773 -122.462 27.5 4 km ( 2 mi) SE of Kingston, WA
MAP 1.1 2011/01/24 03:59:01 46.091 -122.506 15.7 21 km ( 13 mi) N of Amboy, WA
MAP 1.6 2011/01/22 22:08:11 46.353 -122.273 16.7 18 km ( 11 mi) NNW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
MAP 1.2 2011/01/22 00:34:49 46.576 -122.407 16.3 8 km ( 5 mi) NE of Mossyrock, WA
MAP 1.1 2011/01/21 13:51:15 48.168 -121.629 11.9 10 km ( 6 mi) S of Darrington, WA
MAP 1.3 2011/01/20 10:48:43 48.206 -122.208 14.8 4 km ( 2 mi) E of Silvana, WA
MAP 2.7 2011/01/20 03:04:53 46.796 -124.288 38.4 15 km ( 9 mi) W of Grayland, WA

No...no reason for doom and gloom at all anyone. Just awareness. Better to know about it in advance than to first find out when the alert goes up....just my opinion though!

edit on 26-1-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

The tremor plot is usually updated around 5:00 pm each day. Notice how many there were yesterday and the day before???

As to the other stuff...well, puterman couldn't get data from Iris OR GEE yesterday. Ugh. SOHO off-line? Well, as we all know, things go down.....good thing I'm not paranoid or anything.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join