It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation AJAX: Iran and How The CIA Planted the Seeds of Middle East Terrorism in 1953)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I recently finished reading "All the Shah's Men" by S. Kinzer adn it brought a whole new prespective on some of the goings on in the Middle East.

At the urging of the British, the CIA in 1953 helped orchestrate the overthrow of Mohammad Mossadegh. Mossadegh who had recently nationlized the Anglo-Iranian oil company was presented to the US by the british as a potential communist. The British has tried for years and when they were effectivly thrown out Churchill turned to the US). Called operation AJAX, it was nearly a disaster but it ultimetly succeeded in placing the Reza Shah back into power (He had fled to Italy when he thought he coup was going to fail.). The CIA in essence removed a democratically elected leader of Iran and had him replaced with an tyranical leader who's own opression eventualy led to the 1979 Islamic revolution.

This is kind of a text book on how not to do Foreign Policy. What would the middle east been like if Khomeni had not risen to power?

[edit on 12-7-2004 by FredT]

[edit on 16-7-2004 by FredT]

[edit on 16-7-2004 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I'm reading this book at the moment too. (I'm about half way through... so don't give away the ending!
). So far I'm amazed at the obstinacy of the Anglo-Iranian Oil company in not compromising with the Iranians.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
I'm reading this book at the moment too. (I'm about half way through... so don't give away the ending!
). So far I'm amazed at the obstinacy of the Anglo-Iranian Oil company in not compromising with the Iranians.

I like the attitude of the Brits to the US. "Look we know how to deal with our colonies"

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Yeah... what strikes me as sad is how much the Iranians respected America before the whole fiasco took place. We could have had a close, stable and democratic ally in the region if only we made wiser choices.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
Yeah... what strikes me as sad is how much the Iranians respected America before the whole fiasco took place. We could have had a close, stable and democratic ally in the region if only we made wiser choices.

Ready made, loyal to the US, a true ally. But we really botched things up. No dependance on a shaky monarchy in Saudi, No need to build up a dictator like Hussein. It goes on and on.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
You would have thought that the State Department would have learned thier lessons by no but noooooooo

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
too true...

different people, same mistakes... sigh.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I thought I would bring this post back up because the similarities of what is going on is very scary. We made our bed with the Shah of Iran and paid the price. We are no making the same mistake in Saudi with the Royal Family. They are not well liked by thier people, they are viewed as puppets of the US in the Arab world, and the offical religion "Whabbism" is not a warm and fuzzy flavor of Islam. We could be precipitating another revolution ala 1979 Iran. That would leave the 2 countires with the biggest oil reserves openly hostile to the US

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I ordered a psychology book from my local bookstore.

I was called to say that they had it ready for collection. When I went to pick it up, it wasnt a psychology book at all. It was "All The Shah's Men".

Now if that's not freaky I dont know what is.

top topics

join