It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for all the "2012" non-believers

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Cecilofs

The Mayans on the other hand made a calendar to track the galactic cycle - perhaps they did it just for completeness, but I think there's more to it than that.

The Mayans did not know about galaxies or even precession of the equinoxes. Your claim is false. The Mayans saw the Milky Way as a road, not a galaxy.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by doubledutch

I like to discuss these things and think on them but I don't claim to know either way, neither should you or anyone else. We simply don't know

One thing we do know though is that the myan calender didn't end, it's cyclical...it starts again, our calender isn't, it has no end date. We also know that ancient civilizations were in touch with 'mother earth' and we certainly aren't, there's a lot to be said for that

Another self contradictory post. You say we don't know and then you claim to know that the Mayan calendar is cyclical. You also claim that ancient civilizations were in touch with 'mother earth.' According to your initial statement no one knows that to be true.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CuteAngel
reply to post by MrXYZ

Of course they were written down by a man. Who else do you expect would write them, a Jinn....? Or would you believe it if a Jinn were to write it down. The point is that it was written down 1500 years ago, before this whole concept of Nemesis began...
The Quran begins with the following "I have been sent to thee as a warner and messenger unto mankind, to warn of thee of the impending disaster"

This is what he was warning about...

Of cours it's a message of fear, just like today, the ancient people in power realized that you can control the masses through fear

"Obey god or else..."

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

It is my belief that while the Mayan calendar is more than likely the most advanced time keeping process ever invented by man, it is still just a calendar.

The Gregorian calendar was implemented knowing that it had limited precision. It was deemed unnecessary to add more complexity to the calendar. The gain in precision was not thought to be worth the effort of making the calendar more complex.

The most advanced time keeping process ever developed are atomic clocks which are so accurate that recently it was demonstrated that if one clock were raised a foot above another the two clocks ran at different speeds due to the difference in gravity between the 2 positions. The lower clock ran slower as predicted by General Relativity.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

I think it would be silly to think the myans knew nothing, and I think it's stupid to think that science has all the answers, it doesn't, it has some answers for some of the questions, and most of those answers are wrong, as has been proven by science every day...science is about a best guess...asking for proof is futile, there is no such thing as scientific fact...fact!

The problem here is quite clear. You do not understand what science is about. You don't understand the difference between evidence and proof. You don't understand what a fact is.

The fact is that the Mayans had no prophecies associated with the end of the long count calendar. If you have evidence to the contrary please provide it.

I laugh in your face you troll. Stop picking fights and trolling. I made that post on the 21st of January, nearly a month ago...the debate has moved on - it's a shame you haven't (although i stand by my comment - no one can know anything for sure - try to be more open minded in the future)

now if you don't mind please leave me alone troll - your showing yourself up and im bored of your pedantic BS

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

What you're doing is called "speculating" in the absence of any supporting facts or evidence. Kinda like what religious people do...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

I like to discuss these things and think on them but I don't claim to know either way, neither should you or anyone else. We simply don't know

One thing we do know though is that the myan calender didn't end, it's cyclical...it starts again, our calender isn't, it has no end date. We also know that ancient civilizations were in touch with 'mother earth' and we certainly aren't, there's a lot to be said for that

Another self contradictory post. You say we don't know and then you claim to know that the Mayan calendar is cyclical. You also claim that ancient civilizations were in touch with 'mother earth.' According to your initial statement no one knows that to be true.

OMG you are truly ridiculous
a reply/trolling to another post that is almost a month old

this is the last time I reply to you due to it de-railing the thread but I feel i need to point a few things out to your rather small mind.

I claim that no-one can be 100% sure about what is going to happen (and to counter your pathetic upcoming retort, im not talking about the obvious cycles of the sun and tides, im talking specifically about the so called end of the world...do you understand?)

The myan calender is cyclical

Ancient civilizations were more in touch with mother nature than we are now

now go away

I apologies to the op and others who are trying to have a conversation here, troll boy wont leave me alone

e2a: im not talking about planet x or nuburu sterio, and on reflection this thread isn't a conversation as such. All a bit weird really
edit on 14-2-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. You claimed that there is no such thing as a scientific fact. The reason you made such a laughable comment is that you have no idea what a fact actually is. You claim no one can know and then make irrational claims about subjects you do not understand.

The fact is you do not know. You make the false and laughable inference that your ignorance on a subject is shared by others.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I claim that no-one can be 100% sure about what is going to happen (and to counter your pathetic upcoming retort, im not talking about the obvious cycles of the sun and tides, im talking specifically about the so called end of the world...do you understand?)

The myan calender is cyclical

So you've posted a claim. It's quite astonishingly wrong. There are many things that can be shown to be impossible events. Nibiru arriving in 2012 is one. The presence of a non-colliding celestial object within the orbit of the Earth causing devastation on Earth is another. A solar flare flipping the Earth upside down is another.

The Mayan calendar is linear just like the Gregorian and Julian calendars.

Do you have any evidence that ancient civilizations were more in touch with mother nature? Ancient kill sites around the world show that ancient man was a destructive blight. More animals were killed than could possibly have been consumed. What protected the environment from man back then was the limited numbers of people.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

But they didn't know more than us today

For crying out loud, the Mayans believed the universe to be only 90 million years old, and that it rests on the back of a crocodile, floating in a lilly pond, held up by 4 trees of different color. Yes they accomplished some great things FOR THEIR TIME, but compared with the scientific knowledge and technology we have to day, it's nothing.

They didn't know about galaxies, they had no clue about the age of the earth as we do today, hell, they didn't even foresee their own demise...something they most certainly would have if they had any special powers like you claim.

You are doing the same as the people taking the bible literally

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

To be fair Coba Stela 1 dates the universe as being several trillion years old. Much more than the actual age of the universe, but it is just another example of the variability in Mayan calendars.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

For crying out loud, the Mayans believed the universe to be only 90 million years old, and that it rests on the back of a crocodile, floating in a lilly pond, held up by 4 trees of different color. Yes they accomplished some great things FOR THEIR TIME, but compared with the scientific knowledge and technology we have to day, it's nothing.

They didn't know about galaxies, they had no clue about the age of the earth as we do today, hell, they didn't even foresee their own demise...something they most certainly would have if they had any special powers like you claim.

I didn't say they knew more than we do now...where did you get that from? If you look at my previous posts you will see I have made no claims about the myan's knowing more than us and I have never claimed they have spiritual powers and I certainly don't take anything as gospel...I haven't even done very much research on it if im honest...my claim was simple and needs no research...no one can know for sure what will happen in the future, this doesn't relate to any one specific claim you are so vehemently claiming isn't true, im speaking generally...no one can see into the future...you see, simple, no need to argue against it, it's true. If I were to post here and claim to be able to see the future you would be equally as aggressive with your reply's, don't deny it.

you are funny you lot, you get so worked up about it all...weird really, why so angry about it all....ive always thought it was odd to be so passionate about something you don't believe in...if you don't believe in it why do you even feel you need to comment on it...strange

ill leave you two to pump each others ego's up some more, enjoy

bye

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

... no one can know for sure what will happen in the future, ...

Again, all you are doing is arguing that your own ignorance on a subject is meaningful.

... no one can see into the future...you see, simple, no need to argue against it, it's true.

That's not true. That's just your guess which can be shown to be wrong. You've even admitted that some things can be predicted.

The question is where do you draw the line. You are once again making self contradictory statements. It all appears to be based on your lack of understanding and you try to project this personal failing onto issues which you do not understand.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Does anyone know when Nibiru first got caught up with the 2012 nonsense? Before or after it failed to turn up in 2003?

And as far as I can recall, the only person popularly promoting 2012 in the 1990s was Maurice Cotterell. Most of the end of the world prophets were promoting more immediate dates.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

XYZ, I don't know where you get the 90 million number.
The last I heard the mayans had it near perfect at 14.8

Science has just been catching up to their knowledge.

Wow, this thread was really derailed.....

So, for all you nonbelievers, can you do a few things please....
Look at all of the volcanic activity around the globe
Look at all the reports of highest solar activity : flares / storms,
Look at the recent wildfires, floods, tsunamis, tornados, quakes.

Can you tell me this is normal?

Would you believe that many 2012 theories
could explain all the recent occurences.

It is possible that 2012 is an illuminated terror campaign,
and I acknowledge this possibility, even though I don't agree.
Yet, many 2012 skeptics believe they are right, and that
no other possiblities exit.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Does anyone know when Nibiru first got caught up with the 2012 nonsense? Before or after it failed to turn up in 2003?

And as far as I can recall, the only person popularly promoting 2012 in the 1990s was Maurice Cotterell. Most of the end of the world prophets were promoting more immediate dates.

Ian Lungold was definitely promoting 2012 in the 90s.
He is one of the only people who put a positive spin on 2012.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeDeuce

The last I heard the mayans had it near perfect at 14.8

I believe that claim comes from the hoaxer Calleman. He is the one that is making up all sorts of weird claims when he misrepresents a single stela. PS it is not near perfect.

Look at all the reports of highest solar activity : flares / storms,

Can you tell me this is normal?

Actually it is normal.
Volcanic activity is normal, has been the same for over 50 years of good recordings.
The solar activity is not the highest.
Wildfires of the early 1900s were much bigger. Floods are only increasing due to human activity.
Tsunamis are not greater.
Tornadoes are only the greatest in 50 years in the US.
Quakes are normal.

The only item that has changed is flooding and the cause is well known.

Would you believe that many 2012 theories
could explain all the recent occurences.

Ni, I would not!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Hasn't increased...

Look at all the reports of highest solar activity : flares / storms

The solar cycle last for 11 years...and also hasn't changed.

We also have no evidence that would suggest an increase. The difference is, that now we have the technology to actually track those events. In the past, if a quake happened in the Pacific, most people never found out about it because it didn't affect them. But not, thanks to TV and Internet, we know about it.

In short, you can do 2 things:

1) Look at the facts and realize all the things you claim to happen are complete and utter nonsense.
2) Make up random stuff and claim 2012 is the cause.

Sorry, but I chose the rational action and won't make stuff up just because it fits an irrational world view I happen to like.

As for the Mayans believing the universe to be 90 million years old: LINK

I can't believe people still make crap up in an age where information is freely available...quite sad really, and it makes a lot of people look incredibly silly

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

What about McKenna and Arguelles and those frauds called Yellowbird and Keisha? And then there is that Thoth wannabe named Drunvalo.

2012 is a hoaxer magnet. It is a draw for all those that want to fleece the gullible. And behold - it works.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Nice post. I wasn't going to bother with such a nice post as yours since the original claim made no effort to substantiate any position.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join