It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bradley Manning is a UK Citizen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

If you live in the UK, you may not know this – but it happens to be true. The mainstream media in the US – even the less respectable parts of it – has no problem in saying that Bradley Manning has dual citizenship (and this may be part of the reason), but the phrase “Bradley Manning is a UK citizen” has never appeared in the mainstream UK press. Never. Today’s Channel 4 piece, following up on Amnesty’s letter is typical in its studious avoidance of the issue.

Yes peeps it appears that apparantly bradley manning is a uk citizen.This is news to me and they done a fine job of keeping out of the press away from the general public. This has probley been kept from the media because it wil cause a certain amount of contempt towards america regarding the matter. Us brits are not so keen on torture as those over the pond...
Well the cat is out the bag now... people will now start pushing the uk government to get better treatment for him..
support across europe seems to be growing for wikileaks not wayning..
Now that they have decided that they cannot link assange with mannings, why dont they let up on this lad...

kx

kx

edit on 25-1-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Link to article please.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

soz i left link off...this is where i found it..
ukfriendsofbradleymanning.wordpress.com...

kx

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
First I have heard of this. Good thing he is not Australian, we would have left him to rot. Being UK though will help a lot in getting the pressure to prove it or release him.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Yes, it says so much on his wiki page. While he may have UK citizenship he was a member of the US military at the time of his alleged crime which puts him under the jurisdiction of the US military.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
He is not just a UK citizen. If anything he is of dual nationality and more American than British imo.

Born to an American father and a British mother in Oaklahoma.

The parents split and he moved to Wales in the UK with his mother where he took exams at a secondary school. The duration of his stay is unknown (to me).

Bradley then returned to America to live with his father after dropping out of school.

He worked as a "greeter" for a pizza restaurant and then joined the U.S. army.

---------------------------------

More of his nationality should have been mentioned in the MSM before, I agree, but being born in America, living abroad for a few years (?) and then going "home" still makes him mostly American in my book.

And what of his mother? If she was from Britain, where might she have originally been born? Germany, France, Canada?

A more detailed and accurate timeline and geneology would prove useful.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
While the US has good relations with UK, Australia, NZ with regards to sharing of classified information I do not believe that one can retain his/her dual status and be granted a clearance. I will admit it has been a while since I conducted a background check but this used to be the case.

He was in Military Intelligence and therefore likely had a clearance of at least SECRET most likely TS/SCI or he would be unable to even be in the brigade TOC during an S2 briefing.

I know one has to renounce his dual status to become a commissioned officer since I worked in recruiting for a bit while wounded. Which entails going to the embassy of the other nation and filling some paperwork and surrendering your passport.

If he did that then he is not a dual citizen as far as the US is concerned; however, UK may have some clause that says you can never totally lose your status - I don't know.

It might be he was and renounced it or they have changed the standards of adjudication for the clearances. I doubt the US government would want someone with torn loyalties to have access to TS/SCI programs even if it is with our big three partners.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant as he signed many non-disclosure agreements that are quite clear in the penalties associated with the unlawful disclosure of the information that one agreed to not disclose were.

He signed them before he was granted access to them - they make a big deal of of it on purpose to scare people with such access.

Further - he had to have lied about being a homosexual during the background interviews as while the DADT policy exists for enlistment it is not a condition of granting a clearance. He was asked questions about his sexuality and fidelity as a part of the SBI background check.

This is all covered in Army Regulation 380-67 which can be downloaded from many hosts.

edit on 25/1/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
Anyway, this is all irrelevant as he signed many non-disclosure agreements that are quite clear in the penalties associated with the unlawful disclosure of the information that one agreed to not disclose were.

He signed them before he was granted access to them - they make a big deal of of it on purpose to scare people with such access.

Kudos to you for cutting right to the crux of this situtaion. PFC Manning could e a citizen of any country and it would not matter. What he did was a crime under both the UCMJ and civilian law. He knew this. He admitted to it and said that he doesnt care what happens to him because in his mind he was right.

He didnt care what happened but apparently so many other people do.
Thats very caring and noble, but it wont change the fact that PFC Mannig is a criminal.

All of this is getting thrown out there by Mannig supporters to muddy the waters.
Reporters delivering petitions.
Dual citizenship.
These are facts that have nothing to do with Manning himself and his actions.
That is what the issue is here.
edit on 25-1-2011 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

maqybe you should do a little reading about mannings and his motives. if you did you would find he cared a lot...

kx

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I'm prior USAF intel and I can only say, "WTF"? As you mentioned, I was pretty sure that there aren't ANY intel positions @ Secret on up that allow you to retain dual citizenship. The ONLY exception of course is Puerto Rico.

I knew another analyst (both of us had TS/SCI...& a handful of others we're weren't supposed to talk about) that said he was being "given" citizenship (from Puerto Rico) to the U.S. once he completed his commitment of 4 years.

Anyone else care to speculate? Anyone got facts? This should be pretty important to all of us. If the facts don't add up, they don't add up and Manning - as some have speculated before - is a tool (albeit a small one) of a much larger agenda. It's not that hard to believe when Assange has pretty much been outed as a poster boy for NWO considering there's no contrary "leaks" to the OS of 911 or ANY docs that are anti-Israel. If you ask me, Assange is Mossad. We need the facts on Manning especially since we know what the facts could tell us (about his citizenship and clearances)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by youdidntseeme

maqybe you should do a little reading about mannings and his motives. if you did you would find he cared a lot...

kx

I actually have read just about everything on him. Including his chat logs probably about 100 times now because he is an interesting character in this whole wikileaks tale.

I believe that he actually cared to make the material public, he says that muliple times in his chats with Lamo. He also stated this 1:13 pm on May 22:

(1:13:10 PM) bradass87: i just… dont wish to be a part of it… at least not now… im not ready… i wouldn’t mind going to prison for the rest of my life, or being executed so much, if it wasn’t for the possibility of having pictures of me… plastered all over the world press…

firedoglake
You can read the entire merged chat logs on that page. Manning clearly is not in a good mental state through much of it, and honestly thought that Lamo was going to be on his side.

So i still stand by my statement about Manning not caring what the repercussions of his actions were, he just wanted to stay anonymous. Too bad that hasnt happened. Every news story on him. The blogger who visits him and then reports to the media. Every thread on ATS. These are all the things that Manning was afraid of. Every time a Manning supporter takes to the news or these very boards in support of him, goes exactly against what he wanted.

Manning wanted to stay anonymous. Now he is not. That was his fear. Not a single legal repercussion of his actions. He was ready for that. By his own words.

top topics

join