It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Block of Wood Discovered on Iceberg at Magnetic South Pole

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I know you meant that as a joke, but maybe it's true. Maybe someone left garbage there. There are expeditions to Antartica and stations there.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
How do they even know it is wood? You can't really tell for sure at a distance. Could it not be some other material? Metal or something?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Block of wood, huh?
South Pole, huh?
Slow news day, huh?

Huh?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

This could be another ominous sign of the end!!...Apparently, another mass die-off is underway, with blocks of wood dropping from the sky all over the world!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I agreee Human! This is certainly a very funny and inquisitive thread. One of the best I've seen in awhile.

Originally posted by Human_Alien

It became fun. And funny. The levity was great. A nice departure from all the other threads for a change.

But I still see people popping in to complain about it.
I just don't get it.

99% of us are having fun. What does it matter to you? It's not like this is coming out of your allowance.
So, if you can't pick up by now this is a NON-SERIOUS NON-CONSPIRATOR and NO PRESSURE thread then please.........move your bitterness and ugliness along to another thread then please

With that said though, even though the block of wood (and I still think it is wood) is very out of place, humans have been exploring the Antarctic for hundreds of years and leaving all manner of stuff behind, especially wood, since metal objects tend to become brittle in the extreme cold. I know that I for one wouldn't want to grab a metal handle that is at a temperature of 40 below. I'm gonna stick with my first post and say this is a piece of discarded wood from an earlier expedition to one of the ice shelves.

I have laughed a ton at the responses on this thread!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Maybe someone left garbage there

There are some pretty stiff penalties for being caught leaving garbage on Antarctica, by international agreement.
Still, there were earlier expeditions not bound to such rules too...

Thing is though, we'd need some more info to make any kind of determination here....

What is the origin of the photo? (the story)
Where were they? (exactly)
Did they examine the debris up close?
Does it have evidence of photo-shopping?
etc., etc.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Tree:
But first, will you please, please welcome - a block of wood.

Block:
Well, er, thanks Tree. I've got to pay the rent.

Tree:
Ha, ha, ha, ha, super. Well, what have you been doing, Block?

Block:
Well I've just been starring in several major multi-million dollar international films, and, during breaks on the set, I've been designing a Cathedral, doing wonderful unpublicized work for charity, er, finishing my history of the world, of course, pulling the birds, er, photographing royalty on the loo, averting World War Three - can't be bad - and, er learning to read.

Tree:
The full Renaissance bit, really...super, super. Well I've got to stop you there Block I'm afraid, because we've got someone who's been doing cabaret in the New Forest. From America, will you welcome please a Chippendale writing desk.

(Compliments to M. Python)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Coffin was my first thought too. Maybe someone died on ship and they were forced a burial at sea/coffin drop off? No idea, lol.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Sorry to bring this up again (but it has been an underlying theme to the whole thread)
and it's been nagging away at me for pages now (should I ask ... shouldn't I ask) ... well ... I decided ... I'm going to ask because I love the way your mind works.

But if you thought the 'bridge' was the type that spans something (water / train tracks / road etc) ... I really would love to hear your thoughts on 'what is a 'wormhole' ... go on ... go for it ... let your mind run free.

Woody

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Great thread...it was fun to read all the responses. I will take humor over; doom and gloom, death and destruction any day....Thanks Again for the giggles..

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Anthony1138

I just looked it up. Antarctic is 5.4 million square miles with no permanent residents. And only 1000 in the winter up to 4000 in the summer comprised of mostly of researchers.

Now I ask ya...what are the odds of passing by a piece of wood, a case, coffin..whatever ....placed there by another human being in an area so vast?
That's like finding an intact passport in the rumbles of the WTC........
Er, whoops. Wrong thread.

Not saying it can't happen. Just saying it's unlikely to happen.

I don't think it was placed there by the person who discovered it (as a hoax) as someone suggested because the story has only made it to the pages of Scallywag and Vagabond forum and of course, here.
It's not like The Weekly World News tabloid approached her for an exclusive.
So.......in summation, I don't believe this is a hoax.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Inside the box is Obama's missing birth certificate.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I'm thinking cold-fusion may be at work here. Notice the juxtaposition of the rectangluar block of wood, vis-a-vis the oddly-shaped triangular berg; Could this be a symbolic representation of The Eye of Horus?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
If we never find out what it is it's going to eat me on the inside! I mean, I can't even play Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon without getting anxious and staying up all night when I can't find a connection

There's a thread where you had to write what you'd ask aliens if they abducted you. Well, I guess I just found my question: "What the heck WAS that block of wood in the top of that iceberg?"

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

"I'm thinking it's an activist's artistic statement in the form of a coffin.

If it's already getting coverage then the trick is working. Next thing is someone will release a statement and be all over the news for days regarding global warming / seal/polar bear/penguin issues blah blah. "

Im thinking along these lines. It could just be a coffin from someone wanting to be barried there. Could be a year to several hundred years old.
edit on 26-1-2011 by sensible thought because: add quotations

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

Sorry to bring this up again (but it has been an underlying theme to the whole thread)
and it's been nagging away at me for pages now (should I ask ... shouldn't I ask) ... well ... I decided ... I'm going to ask because I love the way your mind works.

But if you thought the 'bridge' was the type that spans something (water / train tracks / road etc) ... I really would love to hear your thoughts on 'what is a 'wormhole' ... go on ... go for it ... let your mind run free.

Woody

Okay Woody, can we drop it now?

My error regarding 'the bridge' is history. That happened a long time ago. I know because I just passed through one of those holes. You know, the type the worms burrow out for us?
In fact, you're no longer even a member (on the forum nor on the planet) I see your great grand-child, Woodette has taken over your legacy!

(you are SO not coming to any of my parties now)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Dammit ... I always have to go one step to far ... I will never mention the bridge again (oops !)
... and just to prove the point I've had 20points deducted and a chunk of my first reply to you in this thread removed ... apparently I must have overstepped the bounds of common decency and made an excessive quote ... and yet looking through the thread in it's entirety several others have done the same thing yet paid no penalty (oh well, witches of the wood variety must be out of favour this week)

Me'thinks it's time to step down and let young Woodette take the reigns

Woody

edit on 26-1-2011 by woodwytch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Its the monolith from 2001 Space Odyssey!!!
The artic wind blew it over thats why its on its side

on a serious note... this is very interesting, I would love to see what they find from it and who put it there.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Now I ask ya...what are the odds of passing by a piece of wood, a case, coffin..whatever ....placed there by another human being in an area so vast?

A bit more odds than you'd think, as the locations for stations are likely pretty set, as are travel routes.

Still intriguing though, if not a faked photo.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I believe it was left there by Pandora. Dont open it up!!

Given the size of Antarctica though it could have broken off a wooden ship many years ago and just laid there undiscovered ever since?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join