It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Block of Wood Discovered on Iceberg at Magnetic South Pole

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Also see my previous post that does a deep analysis of an image to determine its authenticity, all the images I could find of this block come back with 'Edited image' etc
reply to post by StarTraveller

Great techno-detective work...very persuasive.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I think the mystery is created due to perspective or the lack there of.

2x6 piece of wood. Wood floating in ocean is common. I am curious to know if it is from recent, columbus' time or maybe from a lost time (hopi 3rd world) or during the times of the ancient sea kings.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Totally agree with you there, with nothing to compare to its nigh-on impossible to say what it is or could be.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible

Originally posted by svetlana84

By the way, also the photographer) had a box there (same expedition 1911 by Scott), ......

What a cool old 3d picture. Cross your eyes so you make the 2 images into one (in the middle) and it is a 3 dimensional photo. cool.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Oh sure the reptilian theory gets sent to the "highly speculatively conspiracy topics" and a thread about a piece of wood on a piece of ice gets the front page.....WOW!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I don't know what is more entertaining here. The fact that the fine membership of ATS has spent 12 pages of discussion on this or that Google produced 13 pages of hits under the topic mysterious block of wood. Perhaps the question we need to be asking is just what is the draw to this story, could this be the "woman in the polka-dot dress"? Something to think about. Mk Ultra agents in a mass activation.

Just sayin...

I'm not calling the kettle black here gang, I looked too...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Seems like someone came up with the stupidest idea for a thread to see how many flags it would get and to fill ATS with so many stupid threads that people will leave or something.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller
reply to post by muzzleflash

hehe kept us talking most of the day hasn't it

reply to post by Illustronic

I know a little about jpegs buddy, being a photographer of many years. I ran it through PS but also ran it through some software that will detect if its been 'doctored' or not. If its just a plain old brighten/sharpen that's been done its pretty obvious to the software, if its targeted i.e. an object in the image that's been shopped then its normally only that area that shows any signs of being messed with. I am no expert on this image, nor claim to be a forensic image technician. I just use the tools I have.

The question has been asked 'why would someone photoshop a piece of wood? ' I have no idea but its entertaining right

edit on 26-1-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

Not sure you can claim it's 'shopped from your tests as the larger image shows a greater degree of artifact pixelation around its edges which the plain old brighten/sharpen sliders just haven't picked up on... I'm sure if you nudged those sliders a little further you'd get a better selection.

However, it is a rather unremarkable piece of wood sitting on a lump of rather unremarkable ice.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
double post
edit on 26-1-2011 by chocise because: Double post

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It's not a fake picture, it's been lifted straight from Karen Barlow's "Breaking the Ice" blog, she's a journalist for ABC news.

It can be found HERE.

The photos and story can be found HERE

've heard the Southern Ocean attracts a hardy individual but a block of wood on an iceberg is ridiculous.

This lonely piece of timber was spotted on the top of a small berg at 66 degrees south, just north of Commonwealth Bay.

Wildlife watchers near Aurora Australis' bridge first thought it was a relaxing seal but it was soon apparent it was rectangular in shape.

How it got to such a prominent position, instead of just floating around, is anyone's guess.

Here's a map of the ships progress, giving us a rough idea of where they are:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'm thinking a sea creature of some sort could have spit it out (sea-lion, orca, etc.). Anything of that size floating out in the water could have been mistaken for something edible. The board (if that is indeed what it is) could have come from anywhere.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This is fake. Anybody worth there salt would have made ever possible attempt to obtain that object on the iceberg for numerous reasons, if nothing else, just out of pure curiosity.
edit on 26-1-2011 by KingKeever1611 because: k

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

How is that any different from the OP?

And "chip off the block" is MY saying. I thought I made that up?

But we're talking about the same lady so not sure what is any different from what you just posted and I did?
If your position and purpose for posting this is, that it's not a hoax because you found her blog then, I am more confused.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

The current discussion is about how it might be photoshopped, I'm attempting to show that the story and photos are real by providing the original source of the pictures.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Human_Alien

The current discussion is about how it might be photoshopped, I'm attempting to show that the story and photos are real by providing the original source of the pictures.

Oh. Gotya

Didn't know posters were still considering this was photoshopped. Just reading the recent posts now. My problem is I tend to read the newest first then work backwards. Hell, who am I kidding.... I go through life like that!

No problem. Carry on

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
As much junk as we put into the oceans the picture really doesn't surprise me. Could be anything from an old ammo box to piece of a ship or maybe a mystical object of great... never mind.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

That was a cool suggestion. Definitely a M.C. Escher moment!

What made you cross your eyes to begin with?
Never mind. That's probably on a 'need-to-know' lock down, right?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
lol

well, ahem, from what i can tell, the entire pic is photoshopped (except for the water). it's not entirely fake, it's just made to look fake around the wood block because the snow/ice is also fake and the wood is supposed to distract from the fact the entire thing is shoppy. . whatever was in the original image, has been photoshopped over, including the appearance that it's a chunk of ice floating around. from what i can tell, the first modifications were made to the negative, then the final mod (the wood) was made to a layer, or directly on the image in photoshop or some other graphics program.

so long story short, pretty much the whole thing is a photoshop over top of something.....else. maybe it started out its life as a normal chuck of ice, the artifact was added, didn't turn out how they wanted, and they redid it to make it look like something else, but didn't bother to remove the previous modifications.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

We'll let Chadwickus take this one.
Chadwickus? He/she is all yours.

Show 'em what you're made of (and show the proof of course)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
reply to post by undo

We'll let Chadwickus take this one.
Chadwickus? He/she is all yours.

Show 'em what you're made of (and show the proof of course)

awww come on, it's more fun to think it's a photoshop. lol
i mean, for a second there, i thought i found another (no really!) photoshopped image on ats.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join