It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Block of Wood Discovered on Iceberg at Magnetic South Pole

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Well it does look like a C Ration Crate!!

am i right did i win ! ?

ration crate wit the real deal and replica
www.rationcrate.com...

K Rations ? with the real deal and replica
www.rationcrate.com...

or could it be Ammo Boxes

The Box could be just about anything from Supply Drops , Cargo Box from Military
Admiral Byrd expedition to Some Present day expedition the box does look old tho well aged
that if it is a box ...

ohhh wait a Minute could this be Admiral Dufek Podium ! see pic ! LOL!

Douglas Mawson's specimen box ? another one ...? ( This Does Look like the Box ) !

British Antarctic Expedition, 1907-09
www.christies.com...

And Well All Know that there alot of left overs from Expedition's from the last century 1907 to Now..

This is Fun LOL! The Mystery Box ! ohh Boy

The Mysterious Wood Block/Box has indeed Gone Global!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Thought I'd come in and toss my 2 cents. If this has already been covered then apologies..

It's my believe that we may be looking at 4 crates that are neatly stacked next to one another.
Unfortunately the picture is so compressed with jpeg compression that it makes it quite difficult
to make out any sharp corners. But after throwing this under a number of filters, I still believe
this to be the most reasonable explanation. If one looks in the middle going left to right, you can make out a separation line/edge.

As to why? It's quite possibly that they were off-loaded by boat for an expedition or as supplies. Obviously we can only throw theories out here.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5ba4d875299.jpg[/atsimg]

This sloppy example below might further illustrate my theory

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f3e6ecaaedff.jpg[/atsimg]

And if stacked next to one another (obviously not to scale)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d49c4c7783f8.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 1/26/2011 by JohnnyAnonymous because: Adendum to add exterior picture

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Darn this really sucks, I am fast running out of places to hide my 'stash' box on this planet.

Let me just take this opportunity to state clearly and for the record, that obviously anyone could have put anything in there and it does not mean that what ever is in there belongs to me!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This is if I'm not mistaken a Life Boat for Chipmunks from the long lost Noah's Arc....
Alas they must of perished before even reaching dry land.

Good job Noah had a plan B (send out the fat pigeon).

edit on 26-1-2011 by DreamerOracle because: adding

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

As we make our way through the magnetic south pole, you guys can take a look to your right and see the future resting place of the U.S. Constitution! Its been headed south now for some time, at the rate its going we're expecting it to arrive within the year.

This spot was chosen by the US government after much consideration because it was important it be placed in such a way that no pesky citizen of the United States could access it.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It looks slightly to me like it is photoshopped. The under edge of the object looks a bit 'different', but the low res quality and compression makes it impossible to know for sure.

The angle of the object also seems to not match up with the surface of the ice, but that is also difficult to know for sure.

Who knows... Interesting picture.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by spacemanjupiter

I have run it through CS5 Photoshop and messed with a various filters etc. and agree with Jonny A, on every filter used the 'block of wood' always seems to expose differently which in my mind tells me its alien to the original image. Also see my previous post that does a deep analysis of an image to determine its authenticity, all the images I could find of this block come back with 'Edited image' etc Now I know some of you will be thinking that maybe the image was brightened or adjusted to make it clearer. On the software I have used, if this is the case then the entire image will show anomalies; on this series of images the main disturbance is on the block. Basically in any graphics system I view this image in, its a mess with things that are just way wrong. Ultimately, give me the full res version and we can play but until then I sure its 'shopped'

EDIT: to add an example of messing in CS5, it seems that the 'block' is not part of the original image, there is a clear boundary around the block that reacts totally different to the surround image.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afdc98b59f5e.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is the image, slightly enlarged and brightened but nothing else. Also looks like a single unit in opposed to a number of units next to each other:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc12477320ba.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 26-1-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Its the congreave cube of course!

Molly Mahoney must have misplaced it

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will turn out to be.... wood.

I know, OMG right?

edit on 26-1-2011 by Konstantinos because: fors Sh*ts and giggles

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Konstantinos

Where is your evidence hehe

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I'd say it's left over from a crew or some ship that passed by sometime in the past.

That's pretty much all I got. Doubt this is anything groundbreaking.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Just to throw in my two cents here- i watch whale wars and those guys are always going off to icebergs for water - hiking up on icebergs and may have left some of their junk up there. whats this mystery over anyways besides entertainment?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

So it's probably faked? Interesting.

Humans are faking photos of a piece of wood these days. Hmmm

I was about to be surprised, but then realized this is par for the course of humanity.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Konstantinos
reply to post by GirlGenius

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will turn out to be.... wood.

I know, OMG right?

Even better.

Photoshopped wood.

I know right? Who would have guessed?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Maybe it's the entrance to The Fortress Of Solitude.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Perhaps its a piece of the piano that was found on a small island off of Floridas coast!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
When a digital image is saved or compressed as a JPEG, and the more it's compressed, (common on the internet), the more pixelation occurs and it occurs most noticeably at edges. So when people just hand out that a picture was Photoshopped that they see on the internet I have to laugh, because every picture you see on the internet has usually undergone a 'loosy' compression and the JPEG is the most commonly used. You can filter the heck out of a JPEG image and find all kinds of artifacts, due to it's compression.

Wiki JEPG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) compression and find out yourself what it can do to images, and again, primarily at edges.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

hehe kept us talking most of the day hasn't it

reply to post by Illustronic

I know a little about jpegs buddy, being a photographer of many years. I ran it through PS but also ran it through some software that will detect if its been 'doctored' or not. If its just a plain old brighten/sharpen that's been done its pretty obvious to the software, if its targeted i.e. an object in the image that's been shopped then its normally only that area that shows any signs of being messed with. I am no expert on this image, nor claim to be a forensic image technician. I just use the tools I have.

The question has been asked 'why would someone photoshop a piece of wood? ' I have no idea but its entertaining right

edit on 26-1-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
didn't the crew of the Sea Shepherd group leave something on a iceberg a yr or 2 ago?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join