It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security scanner blamed for woman's death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
www.haaretz.com...

A 57-year-old Palestinian woman with a pacemaker died over the weekend, after passing through the scanning machine at the Rafah Crossing between Gaza and Egypt. The woman, Fatima Mahmoud Abu Obeid, crossed over to Egypt along with her husband, and about half an hour later suddenly collapsed. She was taken by ambulance to a Rafah hospital on the Egyptian side where she was pronounced dead.

Palestinian sources blamed her death on the border scanning machine, described as a "U.S.-made advanced portal using millimeter wave holographic technology to screen passengers for weapons and explosives."

I thought you were not supposed to go through a scanner if you had a pacemaker?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
According to a professor of cardiovascular medicine there really shouldn't be any issues for an individual going through an airport scanner with a pacemaker.... aside from it possibly temporarily interfering with the device if you stay in the scanner for a long period of time.

Question: What precautions should patients with pacemakers take when going through airport scanners or other security scanners?

The other issue is that some devices will respond to electrical signals in the scanner so that if you're standing in the scanner for a long period of time, it may interfere temporarily with the function of the device. And so, it's important to walk briskly through the scanner. Otherwise, there really shouldn't be any other problems.
*bold emphasis mine

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Interesting. I won't go through a scanner without a pacemaker because I don't trust much of what the mainstream comes out with any more. In fact, I won't submit to a pat down either. Luckily, I don't have to travel

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Infowars picked the story up and expanded on it. Awesome

Naked Body Scanner Blamed For Woman’s Death

Experts have previously warned that people with medical implants such as pace-makers should avoid electromagnetic pulse generating body scanners as they can significantly alter the waveform of the pacemaker pulse.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
According to a professor of cardiovascular medicine there really shouldn't be any issues for an individual going through an airport scanner with a pacemaker.... aside from it possibly temporarily interfering with the device if you stay in the scanner for a long period of time.

Question: What precautions should patients with pacemakers take when going through airport scanners or other security scanners?

The other issue is that some devices will respond to electrical signals in the scanner so that if you're standing in the scanner for a long period of time, it may interfere temporarily with the function of the device. And so, it's important to walk briskly through the scanner. Otherwise, there really shouldn't be any other problems.
*bold emphasis mine

Wrong scanner.

The article is about the new scanners. You don't have the option of walking through. You stand in front of them until they tell you you're "done".

(It's time to panic when you first have to bend over for the insertion of the turkey thermometer.)

There should have been signs up making it clear to this woman she shouldn't go into the scanner, and people should be asked beforehand before being herded in..

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Thanks for the info. AJ just announced that Kurt Nimmo is writing another article about it. Apparently he doesn't realize that Watson already did. They are so busy at Infowars, it must be hard to keep track of all the tyranny!

top topics

join