It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of 195 countries, the US has soldiers in 177 of them.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs
according to this

en.wikipedia.org...

we have over 1,000 troops in only 14 countries.

and, no, it's hard to put too much faith in the 'official' numbers, but it's also hard to believe in major installations that far off the radar.

ps; that's 'resource utilization', not 'resource rape'.

You do realize that contractors ( independent, DoD related, and otherwise) outnumber troops... right? So called "Aid" organizations also outnumber troops. Add em all up... IF you can find any official numbers. Its different in different countries. Obviously aid orgs will be less prevalent in any host country thats not 3rd world and contractors outnumber troops in EVERY country. They are neither civilian nor enlisted.. they wont show up on official numbers.

How do I know? My husband has worked with the DoD for 20+ yrs, isnt a civilian nor is he enlisted ( was enlisted, not for yrs now though) and Ive been to several of these bases. People have a funny and wrong understanding of civilian and "other" contractors versus enlisted or "troop" numbers. If you want a hint at numbers.. check out Booz Allen for just one. Hubby worked for Booz in the 80'-90's.

HAHA.. I just saw your name. You work for the DHS and dont know this??

edit on 25-1-2011 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If this is news to folk they may not know that the USA outspends the rest of the world in defence spending, to me that's crazy, why not leave out the EU/NATO countries and save yourselves hundreds of billions of $$$ and still massively outspend all your likely rivals.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye
If this is news to folk they may not know that the USA outspends the rest of the world in defence spending, to me that's crazy, why not leave out the EU/NATO countries and save yourselves hundreds of billions of $$$ and still massively outspend all your likely rivals.

Not very likely that we'd distance ourselves from our wonderful and benevolent NATO and EU running these countries.. hell, we're working on a NAU.. why even consider theyd make any sound financial sense when all of this absurd garbage is in the works? If you want a global economy, the major players in that economy have to play with eachother. We will NEVER distance from NATO nor make any real defense spending cuts in my opinion... a peaceful and economically sound goal for THE PEOPLE is not a consideration at this point IMO.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Eh , 177 countries, WHY?????????????????????

Oh, I get it, so the military industrial complex can manufacture more bombs, fighter jets, amunition, and ships.

No wonder the department of defence budget is ENORMOUS.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join