It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of 195 countries, the US has soldiers in 177 of them.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I did some digging, and here is the info straight from the Armed Forces Network. (edited my original post after I found this)

American Forces Network Broadcast Center (AFN-BC), part of the Defense Media Activity (DMA), is located at March Air Reserve Base in Riverside, California, and is the sole programming source for military radio and television outlets overseas. These outlets serve American service men and women, Department of Defense (DoD) civilians, and their families stationed in 177 countries and U.S. territories and aboard U.S. Navy ships at sea with much of the same programming available to stateside audiences. Programs are uplinked from AFN-BC to a series of satellites and delivered worldwide via secure digital

Source
edit on 25-1-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Yes i can believe that. Now what you have to realize
is we have embassies in most countries and each one
has troops to guard these US properties. Now if you have
ever taken any advanced military training most of our friendly
countries send some of their troops here for training. So i would
imagine we have troops in the US from 100 different crountries.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Not all of them are in some of the said countries for restoring peace or for attacking hostile forces.
Some of them are for joint training sessions and other reasons.

US has troops in pretty much every country that is in NATO.

tinyurl.com/6d7lavo

They've been here for some time and there was some MSM coverage on the things they were doing, but nothing much.

*sorry for being lazy, to hell with translating that on my own*

edit on 25-1-2011 by flk1331 because: shortened the link

edit on 25-1-2011 by flk1331 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2011 by flk1331 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2011 by flk1331 because: dammit, url not working as intended

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Does this mean that there are 18 countries in the world that the US is not trying to steal all the resources from?

Surprised theres that many tbh.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I also found this list from the DoD that almost agrees with the 177 figure, as long as you count "afloat" as a country several times.

link to DoD pdf

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I never trusted those afloations to start with

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPYvsSPY
Yes i can believe that. Now what you have to realize
is we have embassies in most countries and each one
has troops to guard these US properties. Now if you have
ever taken any advanced military training most of our friendly
countries send some of their troops here for training. So i would
imagine we have troops in the US from 100 different crountries.

It doesnt take advanced mil training.. where my husband works foreign solders are crawling all over the base. No big shock there and it is joint training. We're talking about permanent military installations that really serve no purpose since our embassies already have their own security installations. If foreign solders can come to OUR bases HERE for joint training it makes no sense that we have to have a permanent installation there for the same.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Nice find, never heard of "Afloat" before.

Wonder whats been going on in Djibouti These days? 2,190 Troops there? lol.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

Nice find, never heard of "Afloat" before.

Wonder whats been going on in Djibouti These days? 2,190 Troops there? lol.

Yeah, we're just there for the joint training exercises.
Incidentally Djibouti hosts France's largest foreign base... check out Djibouti's flag too while youre at it.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You have to feel pretty sorry for that 1 guy in Eritrea too
I wonder what he did to be shunned so

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
You have to feel pretty sorry for that 1 guy in Eritrea too
I wonder what he did to be shunned so

lol this is like a geography lesson to me, I've never heard of that country either. Maybe the US is just teaching us Geography. Maybe that one guy is scouting the best place for a base?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
vast majority of the 177 countries are either embassy/diplomatic guards or military attaches/observers. there are the same from other countries here.
there is virtually no US military presence in the third world (Middle East aside).

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Yes i can believe that. Now what you have to realize is we have embassies in most countries and each one has troops to guard these US properties. Now if you have ever taken any advanced military training most of our friendly countries send some of their troops here for training. So i would imagine we have troops in the US from 100 different crountries.

Bingo. At least someone is paying attention here. You take a superficical statement like the AFN claim they broadcast to 177 countries then leap to the conclusion that the US is in those countries in a big way. If there is a significan US base in a country, OK, count it. We have some supply bases in some very strange places, including in the former Soviet Union. The fact is, as Spy has said, there is a contingent of Marines at every single US embassy anywhere to provide security. There are also military attaches in embassies that serve as liason officers. And, the fact is, at least some of those junior deputy diplomats are in intelligence.

When you see a figure like 177 countries, rather than take it at face value, at least put some effort into investigating the issue to discover just what it means. Jumping to this "US Empire" stuff based on an AFN statement is ludicrous at best.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Ok can you tell me how many countries america actually has Bases in? At what number does it become an empire? Just wondering.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Thats not completely correct.. but I agree this doesnt not point to an "empire".. what it points to is a colossal waste of money.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Thats not completely correct.. but I agree this doesnt not point to an "empire".. what it points to is a colossal waste of money.

I agree, there is no way to sustain this moneywise is there? Well maybe if you're currency is the reserve currency. I dont know

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

Originally posted by Advantage

I agree, there is no way to sustain this moneywise is there? Well maybe if you're currency is the reserve currency. I dont know

Its totally sustainable if you print money with no real value backing and steal it from taxpayers. Even then, I question what the host country gets out of it. Here where I am the base pays the city and state for being on its land. I wonder how much incentive is being paid to other countries to have us occupy their land? Like I said, the numbers of bodies on these bases is useless for any security or military offensive/defense.. there is no occupation in the typical sense. As far as a staging area for a larger military action.. the bases are typically too small to sustain any real troop movement or basing them on that particular location. If it were for military command in a particular arena.. its also unnecessary because we do this remotely from the motherland these days at the same time its done in the specific battle arena. I looked and some of these bases are so small its laughable. Someone mentioned security for embassies and etc.. wrong. The embassies have their own defense and security on site at most locations.

All this says to me is typical colossal money drain for political hand holding with host countries... it has nothing to do with defense or staging at the majority of locations.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lnr42
Does this mean that there are 18 countries in the world that the US is not trying to steal all the resources from?

Surprised you would even reply with that statement.
Your country has been stealing the resources from much of the world for 500yrs, including
the US.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lnr42

Surprised you would even reply with that statement.
Your country has been stealing the resources from much of the world for 500yrs, including
the US.

QFT.

Its easy to look down on others and point fingers when one believes its own country's propaganda.
Britain and Europe had a long history of resource rape before the US was even an idea. We just happen to have joined in and reaped the benefits.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
according to this

en.wikipedia.org...

we have over 1,000 troops in only 14 countries.

and, no, it's hard to put too much faith in the 'official' numbers, but it's also hard to believe in major installations that far off the radar.

ps; that's 'resource utilization', not 'resource rape'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join