It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of 195 countries, the US has soldiers in 177 of them.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
According to Wikipedia they are in "at least" 150 countries. During every FOX football game, the announcers proudly say how the game is being shown to troops in 177 countries and to sailors at sea.

I find it pretty amazing. I think it hardly shows that the American government is "incompetent".

I just wonder how Americans would feel if another country had bases over here in their backyard.

Strange times.

Edit: after some searching here is the direct quote from the Armed Forces Network site.

American Forces Network Broadcast Center (AFN-BC), part of the Defense Media Activity (DMA), is located at March Air Reserve Base in Riverside, California, and is the sole programming source for military radio and television outlets overseas. These outlets serve American service men and women, Department of Defense (DoD) civilians, and their families stationed in 177 countries and U.S. territories and aboard U.S. Navy ships at sea with much of the same programming available to stateside audiences

Source
edit on 25-1-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Well if you count the ones within the Pacific ocean then they already do.
My bad you said country lol

edit on 1/25/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Ha. A while back I posted a map about our presence in just the Middlle East (here), and got some flack about it. Prepare yourself for some mighty challenges.

Was this the Wiki entry? en.wikipedia.org... It would help to know for the discussion.
edit on 1/25/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Not a really a surprise, I wonder out of those countries how many of them actually want them there...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
how many countries have a McDonalds in them?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Thnx for posting bong , I didnt realise the numbers were that high .
So the project for a new american century have nearly achieved full spectrum domination like they wanted .
Sad times
ps
Section V of Rebuilding America's Defenses, entitled "Creating Tomorrow's Dominant Force", includes the sentence: "Further, the process of transformation, even if it brings revolutionary change, is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event––like a new Pearl Harbor

fight and decisively win multiple, simultaneous major theater wars;
some quotes from PNAC
pps theatre war ??????
edit on 25-1-2011 by TheGhostViking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantien
how many countries have a McDonalds in them?

123 according to wiki. Maybe the soldiers are guarding those.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Wow, talking about being all over the place - if a lot of the soldiers were sent home wonder what that would do for the population problem

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is tangentially related. Our empire around the world is costing us.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I was looking this up a few months ago, and while the numbers seem to be pretty crazy I wasn't surprised at all. Isn't the military(not those who serve) the biggest money maker and one of the easiest ways to funnel funds to other projects. There's trillions of dollars missing that was supposed to go to infrastructure in Iraq, whether you agree with why we're there or not that's a lot of cheese.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MoneyRain

I didn't realize that the numbers were that high either. I can't even name 177 countries.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Id prefer all of the troops back here as a standing military and not spread thin. This thin spread makes no sense to me... sitting ducks come to mind. With our mil capabilities these days we do NOT need troops or command centers based in any country. We can run anything we do from the homeland.

My question is what does our presence benefit the countries we hold bases in. WHat money or favors do they get completely. Thats the only reason I can see another country allowing us to remain there. Ive been to a lot of the over seas bases.. a lot to me anyway.. and there simply arent enough bodies occupying the space to do any good if they were needed.. I cant imagine what stupid reason there is to keep so many American citizens in these countries. I always think of the base closings here and how it effected the towns surrounding the base's economy. We COULD have brought back our troops that are sitting around waiting for nothing and kept those bases and the economic process they were involved in concerning the surrounding cities viable.

IMO shuffling folks around the world and calling it cutting waste/curbing spending is a joke. No one can possibly take this seriously...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well, if you're going to spread "democracy", you must have representatives of that democracy present to make sure it gets done properly. And what better way to make sure people recognize those who are our ambassadors of peace than to put them in fatigues, and have them carry a gun. And spreading all of that good will to other countries costs a lot of money. I don't see a problem here.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Maybe if even half of them were brought home I'm sure this would help out with our "little" financial crises.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
We are Rome!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
we need to get through to the troops like other posters have said , they should be protecting us not the interests of the elite

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

does american attack countries with McDonalds in them?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
We are Rome!

In our fantasies. Rome didnt send 20 guys to a country they overthrew and called it an occupation.

Hey, we have enough money to go around.. lets just keep all of these useless bases in these countries open with no benefit to us but great benefit to the country they occupy. (sarcasm)

I can understand strategically placed bases with many more active troops.. but this spreading them out thin and getting nothing in return for the base placement is ludicrous. Anyone here in the military who has been to some of these bases will tell you that its a country club and there is NO reason we need to be there other than saying we are there and paying foreign govts to be there. Everyone claims a few bases in particular are essential.. like the one in Japan to deal with N Korea in an event. Hmm... well, #1 there arent enough troops there and #2 whenever something does go down there we have to ship more folks over and more naval ships.. so whats the point of being there as a permanent base if its not self sufficient or carrying out the purpose for which it was placed. KWIM?

Bottom line is we are still acting as if we are in the 50's when we are capable of running any military action from our homeland. Bases in other countries is an obsolete idea/method.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
What did those other 18 countries do to offend the US?

I can see this little factet quoted a lot on various sites but can't seem to see any source for in on any of them

I do see it on this wiki about the american forces network, but again it seems unsourced
edit on 25-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantien

does american attack countries with McDonalds in them?

Hm the rabbit hole gets deeper.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join