It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

repeat threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
i'm just wondering, how hard would it be for ats to implement some sort of key word block on thread titles and content. we see it a lot, but lately with the animal die offs and jared laughner, it seems there has been a sizable increase, probably from newer members and only casual posters, of multiple threads with the same content and even title.
what i'm suggesting, or asking rather, could ats separate the title block into individual blocks, then do a quick search for repeated keywords in recent threads?
we often see, "i did a quick search but didn't find anything". but when i see a double or triple thread, my searches always come up with the other threads. is it the posters aren't searching well enough, or not at all? i'm just wondering, it's a little annoying to see the same threads, with the same articles two or three times on the board.
but, that's just me.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Oh the moderators try, they generally do a good job, but with the size of this board it must be difficult.

If you see some thread that you know is a repeat of another thread, post an alert using the alert feature of the offending second thread and I am sure that the moderators will take quick care of it.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Just alert it to staff - by using the alert button. Staff will take care of it

edit on January 25th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I think it might go beyond new users.

I posted a dupe the other day that I searched very thoroughly for,.by numerous, separate keywords, bith by title and by content. And in when I performed the same searches after being notified of the dupe, researched the same way and found them both. In addition, there appeared to be a time discrepancy in one thread...the time on the search result did not match the time on the OP. Almost as if they were using two different time zones or something.

Now, without knowing exactly how the search works and when threads actually populate whatever data the engine is searching, it's hard to know where some of this goes "wroing."

What I'd also like to see is a chart or matrix of some sort saying if it's posted here it can also be posted here but not here. I think I know that if something's in Breaking Alternative New, it can also be posted in other places but can never remember what's what. I'm sure the mods have it straight and rely on them to just do the right thing. But maybe we can help if we knew.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Using the alert is good. But I've seen times where the original thread was closed instead of the duplicate. Was this because of a time zone discrepancy making the duplicate seem as though it was posted before the original?

Searching for duplicate threads before posting can be challenging. I've started using google's site search and have done just about as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
the offending second thread and I am sure that the moderators will take quick care of it.

Now it's an offense to make a second thread YIKES

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Searching for duplicate threads before posting can be challenging. I've started using google's site search and have done just about as well.

I agree... many times having used search keywords it gives me a zero found result. I have used the exact title of articles and get error returns. Then for some reason once the duplicate thread is pointed out it gets found in search easier.

I now use regular google search and just add "ATS"

Like if I am seeking a thread like Disclosure NSA Style I add ATS to the end of the search and Voila

Disclosure NSA Style ATS and it puts it right in Number one spot

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofast

Why does ATS allow members to post direct to the boards anyway?

Would it be considered censoring to make it that a new thread must pass through Mods/Admin first and then be posted by them??

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Don't know why I didn't think of that zorgon. I've gotten so used to just going straight to site search, I wasn't even thinking of just short cutting it with ATS on the end. I'll try that and compare my returns between the two. In many cases, I'll bet they're similar. Thanks for the tip.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
you should be able to attach meta tags....

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
i know the mods try, and like i said, it's not a big deal, just a little annoying, especially when the original thread gets closed, for whatever reason, and you've already posted several comments on that thread.
i don't post that often anyway.. ** shrug** like i said, just wondering

new topics

top topics

join