It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keith Olbermann Denies His Career is Dead Following MSNBC Departure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Of course its not...why would it be? Just because may have had issues with the new regime at MSNBC (still speculation) implies nothing of the sort. We've seen people come back from much worse.

(NewsCore) - TV host Keith Olbermann took to Twitter on Monday night to deny his career was over, following his recent and widely-publicized departure from MSNBC.

"Countdown" anchor Olbermann, 51, left the network Friday -- sparking speculation over the reason for the move.

Monday night he thanked fans for their support, tweeting: "Citizens Of The Free World: Greetings!"

Moments later he added: "My humble thanks to all Friends of Keith for the many kind words. The reports of the death of my career are greatly exaggerated."

However, Olbermann did not address what many want to know -- why he quit.

www.myfoxny.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I am a big fan of Keith and miss him, I have watched him almost every night at 8:00 PM Eastern for years and it is so strange without him, at least we still have Rachel Maddow at 9:00. I hope he will be either back on MSNBC or on another network soon. There may be a problem with that as usually in the contracts that are signed they cannot go to another network for a period of time.

My friend worked for ABC and was a senior producer for the Olympics, when it went to NBC she lost her job but was lucky enough to have the type of contract with three years left which ABC paid her out, she was not allowed to go to another Network during that three year period.

It will be interesting to see what happens, there are times when people are released from their contracts for one reason or another.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

They put some lame show on instead last night. I didn't even bother watching. It was a nice counterpoint to the other side. Maddow is all there's left now for balance. I wonder if any of this has to do with what happened in November with the campaign contribution thing. It sure seems like he's under a gag order or something...which makes a person wonder.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I didn't bother to watch last night, I like Ed Schultz on the radio but don't care for him on TV so don't watch him, I listen to Thom Hartmann and Schultz most afternoons.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Maybe he'll wind up on CNN. They could use some shaking up around there.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Don't forget, we still have Lawrence O'Donnell. It looks like MSNBC is moving Lawrence into Keith's old spot, leaving Rachel alone and moving Ed into Lawrence's old spot. I don't know about you but I like both Rachel and Lawrence and I look forward to Keith showing up somewhere soon.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

If they let Cenk Uygur be the Cenk Uygur of the Young Turks then the 6 o clock hour is strong. Personally, I like Ratigan and Cenk the most for viewpoints. I love Lawrence but his show and its color scheme is kind of boring.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by glome

Yeah...he's pretty good and has sort of been moving into the mainstream. Which is, in a way, a shame because he shall soon be assimilated I'm thinking most people who had a problem with Keith (bosses...whoever) might have a similar problem with him.

reply to post by Flatfish

Hmmm...don't watch O'Donnell...might have to check it out.
edit on 1/25/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Keith was the biggest draw on MSNBC. He certainly was my favorite. I think wherever he goes, he'll have a huge following. As long as it's not sports!

I'm sure some people would love to see Keith go down, but I'm afraid this time, MSNBC is the one who's going to lose out.

I don't really like Lawrence. He's OK, but his personality is dull to me. And Ed is too far left for me to even watch.

Hey, maybe Keith will get his own radio show.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Haha...don't think he'll go back to sports.

At the very least he was a great counterpoint to O'Reilly. Now there would be a show. The two of them duking it out every night. Hannnity's gotten totally boring since Colmes left...as ineffective as Colmes had to be on that network.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I don't know if Ed is too far left, but he does seem like the counterpoint to Hannity- empty suit. oafish partisanship.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Dang you are right - O'Rielly / Olbermann would be a heck of a show - even Olbermann / Beck would be good too.

Anyway, my guess (and that's all it is) - is that he'll likely end up on Comedy Central with Stewart and Colbert

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I find it strange that he went so quietly, and that he agreed (so we hear) to end the contract like he did. There is an interesting bit in this article: Olbermann's exit weeks in the making.

Not sure why he would want to agree to these terms:

Friday’s separation agreement between MSNBC and Mr. Olbermann includes restrictions on when he can next lead a television show and when he can give interviews about the decision to end his association with the news channel. The executives involved in the discussions confirmed that the deal carries limitations for Mr. Olbermann in terms of when he can next work on television, though he will be able to take a job in radio or on any forum on the Internet. The deal also prohibits the host from commenting publicly on the deal, the executives confirmed.

A similar thing happened with Conan, i think, and i really don't understand...Unless they don't want the controversy surrounding him sounding off on whatever went on behind the scenes.

Thoughts?

~
I too can't see why they would terminate one of their highest rated shows; and i also can't watch whatever is on the new slot.

Something fishy, and bigger than the Comcast buyout and Olbermann's conflict with his superiors, i think.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Interesting guess. This would be cool too, but I'm not sure he'd join an existing show or move to comedy...then again, you never know.

It'd be way cool, however, if they made a new show that had maybe him, Stewart, Maher, Beck, O'Reilly on it to "dialog."

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

Wow...that's very strange.Yeah there might definitely be way more to this than meets the eye or we can even speculate about. Thanks for posting that...I had missed it.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence

The deal also prohibits the host from commenting publicly on the deal, the executives confirmed.

I never saw the movie but this reminds me of Fight Club. The first rule of the Olbermann deal is NOT to talk about the deal.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Wow.

They write like I do. Now I really, really want to know. Maybe a remote viewing session is in order....

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

They should totally hire him for the Onion news network. He would fit right in with them. Who will decide who's the worst person in the republican party, i mean world if not for his biased opionion
Unless he wants to go back to doing the sports on ESPN, or the Onion sports news

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Royal76

No, no. The worst person in the world!!! The republican party isn't everywhere, you know.

Rupert Murdoch: I Wouldn't Hire Keith Olbermann Again
edit on 2/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Olbermann takes news exec job at Current Media

Feburary 8, 2011

UPDATE: Keith Olbermann announced Tuesday late morning on Twitter that he has accepted a job as Chief News Officer of Current Media, the parent company of Current TV.

WASHINGTON – Liberal former MSNBC star Keith Olbermann is reportedly taking his talents to Current TV, the channel led by former Vice President Al Gore and businessman Joel Hyatt

Link

This is great news, his involvement I am assuming will be in the background for now or at least until is non-complete clause is over which I understand is in six months.

top topics

join