It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Runaway Star Found Hurtling Through Space

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Itachimaru

I gave you a star. Wow! I feel like a grade school teacher. You know they always 'Gave you a Gold Star" when you did well.....
Very nice post. I look forward to seeing you around. Thanks for contributing.
WOE

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by withopeneyes

A bow shock is a boundary between a magnetosphere and an ambient medium. For stars, this is typically the boundary between their stellar wind and the interstellar medium.

In a planetary magnetosphere, the bow shock is the boundary at which the speed of the solar wind abruptly drops as a result of its approach to the magnetopause. The best-studied example of a bow shock is that occurring where the solar wind encounters the Earth's magnetopause, although bow shocks occur around all magnetized planets. The Earth's bow shock is about 100-1000 km thick and located about 90,000 km (55,000 miles) from the Earth.

It seems this celestial has somewhat a area around it that is influenced by the celestials movements. I assume if SOL system bow shock came in contact with Zeta O13 bow shock there would be issues.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Excellent info! Star for you! I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't have a clue what that was before you explained it. Thank you for the education! I for one like to learn new things.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I have so intrigued with the whole Universe these past few years...better late than never I say!! Will definitely be checking out this star gone AWOL from the OP but in the meantime....here is a wonderful set of comparative sizes between the planets, the biggest stars and our Sun.
Yup. We are insignificant in the grand scale of things!

[www.co-intelligence.org...]
edit on 25-1-2011 by annella because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by withopeneyes

so here we go the interstellar dust only shows up in the infra red when energized by the stars solar wind this begged the question of what is dark matter space could be full of this dust which is not illuminated by stellar interaction

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by TupacShakur

That would be a great last memory

For how many seconds?

S & F OP

It should be visible to the naked eye for quite some time but once it impacts the sun, 6-8 minutes, give or take?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
20X the size of our sun, just try to imagine how big that is in comparison to you. I can't even begin to imagine that, and there are stars out there that are probably thousands of times bigger than that star. Astronomy is a real mind ****, in a good way.

I think a cool way to go out would be to watch that star slowly approach our solar system, then it becomes visible by the naked eye, then we all sit outside and watch it slam into out sun, and get to see one of the biggest explosions imaginable. That would be a great last memory

Umm.. you do realize that you would be dead long before that star impacted the sun, and so would the rest of humanity.
When it comes close 2 things will happen, I am not sure in what order, but they will essentially guarantee the extinction of humans (and most if not all living things on earth).

One of those things will be the sheer heat of the star, liquid water will cease to exist as will as will most solids and liquids, almost everything will be burned up long before it arrives close enough to impact the sun.

Secondly think of the mass, the gravitational pull would create havoc, giant tsunamis, off the chart earthquakes, and all else that it entails.

If somehow you were to survive all that, I am pretty sure you will also survive it impacting the sun.

The only chance for humanity's survival would be a huge self contained spaceship (or space station) placed at least 20AU from the path of said star.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
If this has been observed now as an ejected member from a binary pair of stars,
most likely this has happened many times before,
and there are many rogue high velocity stars in the galaxy.

However, given the age of the earth >4.6Billion years,
and the fact that it is still here,
it's highly improbable that this will pose a danger for us,
given stellar separation distances.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join