It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama at the Superbowl, brought to you by Alcohol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Biggest advertising day of the year, and it's basically common knowledge that a ton of people only watch for the commercials.

Companies spend millions coming up with ways to market their products, and year after year, every superbowl is followed by weeks of copycats or allusions to superbowl commercials, in any media you can think of really.

And year after year, it's always the beer companies that get the most fanfare.

Now, alcohol supposedly kills around 200 americans every day, and it's known to cause countless societal problems...

Alcohol is more harmful than heroin or crack when the overall dangers to the individual and society are considered, according to a study in the Lancet.

It ranked 20 drugs on 16 measures of harm to users and to wider society.

Heroin, crack and crystal meth were deemed worst for individuals, with alcohol, heroin and crack coc aine worst for society, and alcohol worst overall.

On the other hand, cannabis ingestion can not be shown to have killed a single person ever, it's familial/societal ramifications are minuscule, if not positive compared to alcohol, and it's hemp crop is historically exactly what this country needs to focus on right now.

But the only thing you'll hear or see about it at all this month is there's a 'bust' in your area, or if some superstar gets "caught" using it.

The whole michael phelps thing a few years ago just really stuck in my craw, and I've seen what alcohol does to people, including myself. I didn't think the superbowl could get any more disgusting, but now that it's getting the whitehouse involved, it's just... I feel sick.

Obama said he'd have the feds ease off of legal/medical growers, and 'he has' in some areas of the country, but police tactics all across the country are showing otherwise. People are still getting shot to piece by armed goon squads over harmless plant matter in this country, and the president of this country is about to participate in an event funded by the sale of millions of gallons of a poisonous, demonstrably deadly fluid to countless people.

Every day, a step closer to Idiocracy

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
The whole michael phelps thing a few years ago just really stuck in my craw...

wanted to add this...

The Michael Phelps "scandal" hypocrisy

It was brought up in another thread and sparked my attention, and then I left the computer and saw it mentioned as a scandal on two TV stations within a few minutes.

Somebody released a picture of him with his mouth on a bong. That's it. That's the scandal.

The hypocrisy is in the fact that the story seemed to break on the day of the superbowl. A huge portion of the people watching this game don't care about football in the least, they just enjoy the extravagant commercials that debut that day. Well millions and millions and millions of dollars go into commercials for beer/alcohol companies, and they're often touted as the favorites by anyone that talks about that sort of thing.

Also in the fact that the only reason Phelps is famous if because of his olympic wins.
It's well documented that while scores of his teammates and other olympians were out partying and drinking all night, he was in his cabin, resting for the events.

Now the media turns their back on him and demands apologies for this?
It's ok to make money off of and praise a deadly substance, but at the same time demonize a plant that scientists have proven to actually be beneficial?

Last time I checked, alcohol consumption alone kills more people in one day than cannabis has in it's known 10,000 year+ history on this planet...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Brought to you by daily abuse of alcohol:

Western/Country music
Depression
Violence
Hangover
Strokes
Liver diseases
Colon cancer

Brought to you by daily abuse of cannabis:

Painkiller for nerve damage or opioids-immuned people (like me)
Appetite to cancer patients
Writers
Musicians
Comedians
Jobs to many people in law enforcement
Peace (cannabis alone)
Gigantic market already in place if it were to be decriminalised, also meaning that it could be taxed.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Yes. Alcohol when abused is bad for us. However, what's this got to do with Obama exactly

In times of stress, alcohol consumption always goes up, and the people who buy airtime know it, so it's expected that they'd advertise even more than they typically might.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Yes. Alcohol when abused is bad for us. However, what's this got to do with Obama exactly

Just pointing out that it'd be nice to have a real president who wasn't bought and sold by the people ruining the world

President Barack Obama has agreed to conduct an interview with Fox News host Bill O'Reilly as part of a pregame package for Fox Broadcasting Channel's Super Bowl coverage, an Obama administration official confirmed to The Huffington Post.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Thought I'd point out what's on the recent posts page right now...

Finally new BEER Technology
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by cluckerspud
Thought some of our beer enthusiasts, aficionados and alcoholics would enjoy this giant step in the consumption of beer. I for one think it's kind of neat. Bottoms Up!!!

Pass or Fail: Bottoms Up beer dispenser, debuting in Philly tonight

Cheers!

Oh yeah, how exciting...

100% guaranteed my thread would get deleted or I'd be banned for posting a similar topic about "cool" methods of cannabis use...
edit on 25-1-2011 by alaskan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

...But the only thing you'll hear or see about it at all this month is there's a 'bust' in your area, or if some superstar gets "caught" using it....

Or if something sensational happens... Guaranteed the following thread will "do better" than this one has...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Pot-firing catapult found at Arizona-Mexico border

Originally posted by solarstorm
www.fox11az.com...

Enjoy all you pot heads that visit ATS...Goin to bed...ever wondering what they will think of next.

Notice how threads/posts disparaging cannabis are almost always left alone in the main forums, encouraged even, but anything attempting to shine the smallest positive light on it is moved to an "alternative substances" forum...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Believe it or not, a Harvard study released on April 17, 2007 shows that the active ingredient in marijuana, THC, cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread!

www.nowpublic.com...

Our nation is dumb.

GO FOOTBALL!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Just wanted to bump my 'prediction' that there will be some kind of high-profile 'pot bust,' or some other kind of anti-cannabis bologna in the next few days...

top topics

join