It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Department seeks mandatory data retention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Justice Department seeks mandatory data retention

news.cnet.com

Criminal investigations "are being frustrated" because no law currently exists to force Internet providers to keep track of what their customers are doing, the U.S. Department of Justice will announce tomorrow.

CNET obtained a copy of the department's position on mandatory data retention--saying Congress should strike a "more appropriate balance" between privacy and police concerns--that will be announced at a House of Representatives hearing tomorrow.

"Data retention is fundamental to the department's work in investigating and prosecuting almost every type of crime," Jason Weins
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.cnet.com

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Well it seems the only private place we will soon have will be in our own heads!!! This has to be the most ridiculous excuse to spy on everyone on line!!! what happened to being able to post anonymous work? Doesn't this in was infringe on not only our civil liberties but freedom of press? So they want to know what i talk to my friends on face book or warcraft? about or what ive emailed to my spouse ? So when are they going to start reading our actual mail??? maybe they already do

news.cnet.com

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
an up date from today news.cnet.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by buddybaney

Save everything, especially all the things that do not matter !!!

Let these idiots do what they like, they are meowing up the wrong tree.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
They are probably waiting for the new internet packages to be set up by the service providers. Then they can have whatever software set in place from the start of it.

The internet is going to be like cable TV very soon where you pay for packages like HBO and Starz, except now it will be packages like Youtube and Yahoo...

Expect to see this by the end of the summer.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Good thing is though that if the worlds goverments try and go own these kind of routes, theres lots of smart people out there willing and able to creat thecnology to stop goverments from reading and storing everything.

I know that is likely most common encryption methods have been broken by the goverment but you local PD or police station does not have access to that kind of tech.

Man jailed for refusing to give police decryption key.

He got 16 weeks in jail which could be far less jail time than what he would have got if he had broken a different law.

Its maybe about time we all encryped our drives. You could say only criminals would do that but privacy is something we should all be entitled too as part of being human.

Also one major rule I always live by in any and all internet dealings is, dont put anything on line you would not be happy for the entire world or even your nieghbours to see.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Absolute power corrupts.....These guys are really good at pulling all the right levers and hitting the right switches at just the right time,

Anytime now they'll parade some Poster Child ( murderer , butcher , terrorist,etc...) as the reason we absolutely need this legislation. The media will work overtime to paint the picture of national outcry for these new laws. After months of forming public opinion , the law will pass quietly on a holiday weekend.

I dont fear what elected officials can do.....I am concerned what the people with no names, The guys who got these people elected will do.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Land line telephone companies were never required to keep recordings of calls. You used to be able to mail letters without the government making photo copies or keeping a log of your addresses.

Why should they be allowed to violate privacy used because the communication is electronic.

I know there are some people who think this violation is necessary to stop crime but if there is reasonable cause, the police can always obtain a warrant.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Most people dont think giving up individual rights is a good thing.

I believe that there is a concerted effort between the media and the municipalities to slowly brainwash the population, at least enough of the population to form public opinion.

I think it works like a 2 part epoxy. They poison the city water with lithium and who knows what else, The byproduct of this concoction along with the deluge of subliminal messages on the alphabet networks, is creating a stupid, stupid voting public.

THE FIX IS IN.....THEY HAVE A JUGGERNAUT

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddybaney

Well it seems the only private place we will soon have will be in our own heads!!! This has to be the most ridiculous excuse to spy on everyone on line!!! what happened to being able to post anonymous work? Doesn't this in was infringe on not only our civil liberties but freedom of press? So they want to know what i talk to my friends on face book or warcraft? about or what ive emailed to my spouse ? So when are they going to start reading our actual mail??? maybe they already do

news.cnet.com

You forgot that Intel (satan) is and has been actively investing almost it's whole resources into mind reading wares. Uninformed people like you are the types who allow this to happen. Your daddy is people with "power" and money.

Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

These people want nothing else besides total power over their fellow mankind. They want to know you inside and out yet they themselves would consider it an atrocity if we wanted to know them inside and out (illegal). They are insane and useless towards the goal of life. Something is wrong with these people and they need to know this. They need to relinquish their power to the intelligent (us) because they are not able. They do not realize that they are not able yet. One day they will and we must not rule this world as they do, but only to overlook it as one would a pet, not a slave. They will fail and fall, and we must pick up the pieces of their fallacies unfortunately.

Intelligence is based on memory in this society. People with great memory can tackle books with no effort. It is those whose actions are good who are great. Their actions are not good but are idolized based on their so called "intelligence." It is this intelligence that makes us to believe they are superior. Their only trait is a memory. I could trump these bastards when it comes to actions of good. Beware fellow men for you have been had by gangsters.
edit on 1/26/2011 by pa.Frost because: (no reason given)

Shame on all nations and their leaders. I (and we) do not need to be led. We are alive and happy. We are led to destruction by the gangsters of the world. Please God **** them.

Another edit, invest in AMD instead of Intel.
edit on 1/26/2011 by pa.Frost because: I edited and edit again!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
This is, just like cases with guns, will be used to implement and extend the control of the police. If people don't stop this than they will just keep testing the citizens by implementing new amendments and laws to take away what little rights you have left.

E-mail your senator and voice your concerns.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

E-Mailing your senator or representative will likely get you on a list.

Not as if we are not already... but anyways.
edit on 1/26/2011 by pa.Frost because: ???

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by goingsouth
Absolute power corrupts.....These guys are really good at pulling all the right levers and hitting the right switches at just the right time,

Anytime now they'll parade some Poster Child ( murderer , butcher , terrorist,etc...) as the reason we absolutely need this legislation. The media will work overtime to paint the picture of national outcry for these new laws. After months of forming public opinion , the law will pass quietly on a holiday weekend.

I dont fear what elected officials can do.....I am concerned what the people with no names, The guys who got these people elected will do.

You are smarter than you think. The poster child parade comment made my day. Who would have known that the country that is supposedly most against propaganda is probably the most skilled and main purveyor at such a thing. I do not even think God can forgive what has happened this last decade even without mentioning the prior centuries of world war and hate. Lies and deception get us nowhere but HERE. It is up to them to change, not us. We are already good. THEY need to change. Quick.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Look at the comments:
news.cnet.com...

They give me hope

Some snippits:

By n3td3v

I don't live in America, but the FBI and NSA need to stop all this. 9/11 was a one off and was probably carried out by another superpower, not normal people.

America has just become insane, they seem to use 9/11 as an excuse for key political figures to gain more power.

It's been going for 10 years now... something has to change,

By matthew.w.simpson

"virtual playground for sex predators"

Oh my, we can't have that! We have to get these guys off this virtual playground and onto the real...

Oh, wait. Uh... never mind.

Reply by sam99999999

It's interesting how this internet monitoring and unbelievably blatant erosion of privacy and the individual rights of US citizens is proposed under the smoke screen of stopping the "virtual playground for sex predators and pedophiles".

Reply by stevechicago in regards to "where will this stop?"

It stops where they say it stops. Now lie down and take the butt beating, you must be guilty for asking a question like this.

If only Hitler were alive today, he would be so proud of Mr. Weinstein.

By FredC1212

It's clearly the beginning of the end for our democratic republic, when the Government decrees that they need to watch the people, far more than the people need to watch the Government. If the people agree.

Throw all the bums out at the next election if they take just one more step on the road toward any form of totalitarian police state.

By Salazasu

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their browsing history.

By coderdan

Oh yay! Much better than one should be penalized for looking at WikiLeaks. The ability to have full access to email accounts, it isn't a case of "when needed we will access it...". No, let's look at the true intent of allowing FBI, NSA, US Marshall, IRS (ohh there's that warm fuzzy), this has been proposed many times before. Let's open up all of our data, browsing habits, all chats, memos, comments, tweets, bank logins, etc... Now spreading indexing systems out to look for those pesky domestic terrorists....

Like i said, they give me hope

edit on 26-1-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

What I find intriguing as well is how we must be monitored for criminal activity when malware and spyware destroy our computers but are legal because they are good for the economy. Every time I reinstall from a recovery CD, it IS as if all the advertisements already know where I live and always try to peddle me beautiful women who live in my area right in my face. There is no law against gaining riches unless one steals it. There is no law against spyware or malware (they tried to outlaw spyware a few years ago, but since it is good for the economy it failed horrendously). Is this what we became of ourselves? We can do any and all evil as long as it is not in the form of theft and only those who created this unwritten law are allowed to steal at will? W T F! Stop this...

I cannot be the only being out there who realizes the way the world has always been. They do not deserve to breathe the same air I breathe. They poisoned that too... >:|
edit on 1/26/2011 by pa.Frost because: ???

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I don't ever recall anyone at border check points or airport check points ever asking to read my personal mail, in fact I recall it being a crime. It is still illegal for law enforcement to intercept & open mail sent through the U.S. Postal Service, unless they have obtained a warrant.

As some have mentioned this is equivalent to asking the U.S. Postal Service to open, photocopy and keep on file everyone's letters, birthday cards, & business correspondence as well all the names & addresses of everyone who you've every corresponded with.

If it comes to that I guess we'll just have to encapsulate & encrypt all of our data in order to make it impossible.

Using new technology as an excuse to ignore privacy rights is utter BS and these megalomaniacs who advocate this policy should be charged and jailed appropriately. Identify them, name them and publish their pictures & home addresses.

As a related reminder, don't forget to regularly clean your erased files with Secure Delete to insure your deleted files are truly deleted. That helps keeps bad guys from stealing your identity or looking at things that are none of their business should they acquire any of you computers or old drives.
edit on 26-1-2011 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It doesnt change anything for real cyber criminals, they just spin a web of deception using encryption and proxys that not even the ISP's can sit there detangling, and to track all user records all the time is a costly operation do they expect ISP's to have to pay for this? Because those charges then get passed on to the customer and we effectively pay for a broken system that does not really do what is supposed to be designed for and we dont get a choice... as usual.
Why dont they just accept that 2 computers can create a network and the internet is just networks within networks and they can not control every computer out there so they therefore can not control the internet.

new topics

top topics

join