It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

File-sharers breathing a sigh of relief?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

File-sharers breathing a sigh of relief?

UK.
ACS:Law under instruction from MediacAT to persue alleged file sharers may have pulled the plug on chasing down individuals after sending out thousands of letters informing individuals they illegally downloaded files/music and the like.
27 cases of alleged file sharers have apparently been dropped and in a statement to the patent courts, solicitor Andrew Crossley (ACS:Law) said he had now ceased all such work.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
www.google.co.uk

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
i wonder if MediaCat will find another bulldog or simply let this go?
with increasing remote take-overs of pc's, backdoor trojans and broadband data skimming is it looking like MediaCat may be urinating in the wind when it comes to collecting revenue from persons either caught in the act or innocently accused of downloading media.
maybe one little victory or a cessation in hostilities.
regards f
hope the links work

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Hmm Andrew Crossley seems scared? perhaps because I have a nice little collection of his private emails on my hard drive?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Maybe in the U.K. the U.S. about to go full fascism news.cnet.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
even the Judge thinks there is a conspiracy.

"Judge Birss also questioned why MediaCAT wanted to drop the cases.
"I want to tell you that I am not happy. I am getting the impression with every twist and turn since I started looking at these cases that there is a desire to avoid any judicial scrutiny," he said."

and what did they intend to do if they won?
make all web users pay some thing?

they stop't the case because they are getting to close to the truth!
but what is the truth?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Crutchley29

sounds like a compromised situation. i do feel anyone pushing this revenue cow will have the full force of the internet freedom brigade to contend with. (in a nice way of course!)
f

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by buddybaney

it seems to me all and i mean all politicians and legislators worldwide in recent times have only just got up to speed with the implications of what the internet is capable of. the traditional law enforcement aspect aside the conclusion i see these people coming to is the total control of the information retrieval system so all sedition is stopped in it's tracks once established. in my view politicians are more concerned about the potential damage it could do to themselves.
f

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

surely mediacat were not under the impression this was going to get rubberstamped? what a can of worms someone opened!
i will be keeping an eye on further developments with this one. if it fires up again i suppose a good litmus test as to bias would be who is sitting and their standing to the previous judge. i would prefer existing judge to see this one through purely from the knowledge of the intricacies within the case.
f

top topics

join