It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading Exhaustion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This is probably why so many young adults at universities turn to psychotropic drugs for help.

I have been reading alot lately. On average about 150-200 pages a day. This includes my own personal reading, at night, and my reading during the day at school.

I am feeling mentally exhausted. Dont get me wrong, i love to read and can do so for hours on end, but i think too much can be a bit exhausting for your mind to handle. It is non stop information and the mind needs a rest; more than just the 8 hours of sleep you get a night (if you even get that)...

Anybody else deal with this reading exhaustion?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I guess it could happen, though it never did to me, I was used to reading from a very early age. I used to read about 500 pages a day in high school, and about 1000+ in university. I could always be found in the library (or a pc reading on the net).

On the other hand I never read because I had to, always because I wanted to, that could be part of the problem. I always stayed a step ahead of the class, so I never "had to" read, always wanted to. And then reading has always been enjoyable to me, if I got a good book late in the evening, I would usually be awake till I finished it.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

Wow..You must read fast.

But than again, what are you reading? I could finish multiple novels in a day, but political science, philosophy, history, this requires a little bit of depth and contemplation and at times, rereading what was just read. This sort of thought for me atleast can get exhuasting. Not obviously, but i mean doing this every day for months on end i do feel a bit mentally sluggish.

I probably would have a greater capacity for reading if i werent such a lazy ass when i was younger. I hated readng and was never motivated by teachers, parents or any figure, to read; or have a desire for knowledge. Around 16-17 i became more interested and now ten years later i have greatly expanded my capacity for reading. I know it can be done and this is why i dont turn to drugs but simply relax myself and/or take some herbal supplement.

But for me atleast, the best remedy is a day of (almost) complete rest from reading, or studying, and simply engage in the simple aspects of life. Of course on these days i also reading 50 a pages or so of certain works. I cant go a day without reading.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodworksinc

Pot would be the exact opposite of what i need.

If im feeling mentally tired, weed, which worsens the sensation of torpor, would only make my situation that more apparent.

I used to smoke a few years back and the accumulated exhaustion or "permafry" began to really affect my ability to study and focus.

weed is fine once in a blue moon, or for medicinal reasons, not as a way to 'relax' the mind.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Jesus Christ Kale. I think people like you are mutants. My girlfriend is like that. Woman read the last Harry Potter in 4 hours.
I'm such a slow reader, I'm lucky to read 90 pages in a day. It takes me about an hour to read 40 pages in most books and then my head and back start to hurt. Head from looking at page, back from staying still.
It's odd that I love reading as much as I do. I do it all the time but I read too many books at one time to make much progress.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally

Wow..You must read fast.

But than again, what are you reading? I could finish multiple novels in a day, but political science, philosophy, history, this requires a little bit of depth and contemplation and at times, rereading what was just read.

Ok I don't read much political science, and I couldn't care less for history. And I do read a novel now and then. However my main area is physics, chemistry, human psychology, pharmacology, medicine, new science, obscure science such as quantum mechanics, dark matter etc, advances in medicine, computer science and the like. I'll let you make of that what you will.

On the other hand maybe you need to read what you like. I find that reading laws, regulations, legal documents are mentally taxing for me. Nonetheless they need to be done for business purpose.

Admittedly I will say I have reduced my reading due to lack of time.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

So you must read really fast then..

How much of your day did you dedicate to reading? My fasting reading is probably 30 seconds a page, and maintaining that pace for me beyond an hour or two is tiring.

Political documents can be monotonous. Fortunately i dont do much of that.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
About 45sec-1min for a page here. Depends on the book, I can read Bradbury's prose, Hemingway's prose, and most of Faulkner's stuff pretty quickly.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I use to read a lot, I still do but not as much as I once did. I was getting eye strain (so I got reading glasses), they gave me headaches until I found the right strength. Its a good thing to read but take a 5 or 10 minute break every hour. When I started taking breaks I found I absorbed more of what I was reading and I was not so fatigued. Use a timer if you have to so you will take that much needed break.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
the mention of psychotropic drug use amongst college students who have a large reading load... do you mean OTC speed & abusing prescription meds intended for other applications, or are you eluding to the small percentage of students who experience the onset of previously latent mental health ailments which result in a regiment of prescription medication?

the readers that impress me the most are the gifted with didactic (sp?) memory, and those in the media/publishing fields who have to read a truly dizzying amount of printed words on a daily basis.

personally, i find technical writing to be the most aggravating reading. manuals & assembly instructions accompany many of life's purchases, but few of those are well written.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Almost the whole day, 8 to 10 hours, with short breaks. I only attended enough classes, so as not to be thrown out. Rest of the time was spent reading. I still spend most of my free time reading, but I don't have much free time anymore.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

. do you mean OTC speed & abusing prescription meds intended for other applications, or are you eluding to the small percentage of students who experience the onset of previously latent mental health ailments which result in a regiment of prescription medication?

No i mean zoloft and prozac and paxil... The depression that goes along with mental exhaustion. Or moreso the depression that is the result of stress brought on by mental fatigue. It must be the work load. Reading 5-7 books at a time (as i do) is alot but fortunately i still have time to spare. Some university students have a much greater work load than i do, and if i can feel warn down from the reading taht i do (which averages around 175 pages a day.. though some days i read 300 + and i feel like a zombie afterwards) i can only imagine what 10 hours a day of studying can do. I know many students who went on antidepressants to deal with stess, anxiety and depression brought on by all the work.

We live in a demanding society, thats for sure.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I read so much that my brain is rather exhausted too. That is why I love TV....lets my brain rest

I read tons for school - really deep hard stuff....law and science stuff.
Then I read tons here. Then I try and read up on news too.
Then there are emails and so on.
Then there is reading with and to my daughter.

Yeah, my brain tends to stay overloaded and tired continually.
edit on January 25th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
When I was younger and misbehaved, instead of getting spanked, my dad made me pick a subject in the encyclopedia, read it, and then write an essay on it.

Encyclopedias are still my favorite books to read.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Ya, i find TV and video games help me rest too.

I even enjoy an hour or two of it a day. For a laugh, or just relaxation.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I was not aware of such medication being prescribed for depression brought on by work or reading load. Those are some serious anti-depressant medication you mentioned. I would not want to deal with the side-effects while handling advanced studies.

Many college students do wind up on mental health medication(s) because of the pressures of higher learning. You can put just so many bricks on a persons back before it breaks. Hopefully our school administrators have learned some lessons from the many tragedies that have taken place over the past years. Way too many obviously flawed people are allowed to fall through the cracks.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
Jesus Christ Kale. I think people like you are mutants. My girlfriend is like that. Woman read the last Harry Potter in 4 hours.
I'm such a slow reader, I'm lucky to read 90 pages in a day. It takes me about an hour to read 40 pages in most books and then my head and back start to hurt. Head from looking at page, back from staying still.
It's odd that I love reading as much as I do. I do it all the time but I read too many books at one time to make much progress.

Hey, don't feel bad. Many people simply cannot read fast. I myself have always read rather fast, and took the Evelyn Woods course when I was 17. I learned to skip over the small words that I know intimately, words like at, a, the, he, she, it, them and so on. this speeds up the reading process by 100%.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Reply to post by LargeFries

And so I cracked. I am on the brink of a depression, which I could've seen coming years ago. Not doing what I want and following the pattern. Bam. I didn't haVe much friends, but now it is none. Trying to do fun things, as ı stepped out of society sort of (some guts here want that, right? This form is not fun)

As for anti depression medication: they alter ones personality, I take none. It's madness that they prescribe it to students in the US! Focus on the problem, heck, stop or pause study and enjoy life. It's not about prestige and status.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WeZet

I wouldnt say antidepressants alter personality. Personally, ive been on effexor before, in the past and its ability to 'change' ones personality is minimal. At most, it makes you somewhat anxious, depressed, or 'emotional' without it. With, one is more or less the same albeit with subtle differences. But nothing so extreme to be described as 'changing ones personality".

I will definitely say that some psychotropic do this. My mom was on prozac, zoloft and paxil and all seemed to have a negative effect on the personality; prozac being the worst (actually inducing hallucinations)... I myself was once on an antipsychotic many years back to deal with a serious case of insomnia. Now Seroquel - THAT changes your personality. That is some strange, horrific stuff. Fortunately i took that just 3 days and never, ever had to do it again.

Today i manage without any of those things; just spirituality and faith, and responsible living (eating right, getting good amounts of sleep etc) has enabled me to live a healthy life.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join