It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Scientist To Clone Woolly Mammoth Within 5 Years!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

More than a decade after their first attempt, a team of Japanese scientists have announced that they will aim to clone a woolly mammoth in the next five years. Led by Akira Iritani, the team plans on taking mammoth DNA extracted from preserved corpses found in Siberia and inserting it into African elephant eggs that have had their DNA removed. If the insertion is successful, the eggs will be placed in an adult elephant and brought to term. Kinki University’s Faculty of Biology Oriented Science and Technology tried to do exactly this three times previously, starting in 1997. Yet damage to mammoth cells due to extreme cold prevented their success. Now, another Japanese scientist, Teruhiko Wakayama of RIKEN, has developed a technique that allowed him to clone a mouse from a body frozen for 16 years. Iritani’s group is hoping that this technique will provide the missing ingredient that allows them to succeed. Work to find suitable DNA has begun, and Iritani believes they could have a walking, breathing mammoth in just five to six years. Bring on the clones!

singularityhub.com...

I think this sounds real interesting, because after all, God did give us humans power over all the creatures of the Earth! so why not create them? so we can gawk at them, because you know that that's what we will do. Also it says in 5 years! I haven't heard anything about this endeavor (apparently privately funded by Japanese investors) in years, so when I randomly saw this pretty recent article on it, I just had to post it on ATS. enjoy.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Xinthose because: spelling

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
That's awesome.

Can't wait to have some woolly mammoth friends

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
i say also make little oxygen tanks for them and shoot them to a cold planet that can host life and then start cultivating the planet.!!
say maybe 500 million of them where a robot can make them on the planet and there u go
they gota name the planet after me tho.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Xinthose

Just like in WOW I will be the first one of my friends to get a woolly mammoth mount! I'll be gettin' all the chicks with my new bad boy. I'll name him Terry.

You think your horse is tough? YEAH WELL CHECK OUT MY WOOLLY MAMMOTH!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Now, another Japanese scientist, Teruhiko Wakayama of RIKEN, has developed a technique that allowed him to clone a mouse from a body frozen for 16 years.

There is a big difference between sixteen years and ten-thousand years. I'll believe it when I see it.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Oishii!

So will it be horseradish paste with it or will it be treated more like Kobe beef?

-m0r

top topics

join